Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Black Tank Level Indicator

We just started using our 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador about a month ago. I've noticed that the level indicator for the black holding tank never shows empty after dumping it and running the flush system. It still shows 1/3 full. Do these indicators sometimes go bad? Anybody have similar issues? I don't know if the tank is actually empty or not, and I'm not sure how to find out!

TommyHarris is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

Typical issue. There is a piece of gunk stuck on the sensor. if you have pulled the handle and dumped, its empty . the flushers don't always get everything.. next time you are on the way home after you have dumped the tank, close it all up, add 20# of ice and a gallon of vinegar to the tank through the toilet. the drive home will scrub the inside of the tank and clean off the sensors.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks a lot. I'm going to be stationary for about two months with full hook-ups -- just makes me nervous when it shows Full!
TommyHarris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Funny our sensor was doing the same thing toward the end of our last trip. Our rig is getting warranty work done so they're checking out our sensor!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
Thanks a lot. I'm going to be stationary for about two months with full hook-ups -- just makes me nervous when it shows Full!
I have a family of 4 and I empty about every 5 or 6 days just because it makes me nervous. For some reason they never put any indicators on my coach except the computer system that manages everything. I have to put ignition key on run to read that so I never bother.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

I had that problem with my HR. I changed up my dumping procedure. Now I empty, flush, then I close the drain and fill the black tank. Once filled, I empty and flush again.

I don't have that problem anymore.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

It seems that ni matter what you do, the sensors are bound to fail. Take a look at Horst Miracle Probes or an iSeries tank monitor.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
There are basically two types of sensors. The type that pokes through the wall of the tank and have a probe on the end, and the type that just sticks onto the outside of the tank and read through the plastic. Both types can become obstructed. The probe type can have TP or something stuck on the end causing it to show full to that point. There can be a buildup of "gunk" on the inside wall of the tank causing the through the wall type to sense full to that point. The sensors stuck on the outside of the tank can also become detached and and cause faulty readings. I have also had mine (through the wall type) show a false reading right after dumping because there was still moisture on the inside wall of the tank. After a short time, the reading went to zero. The key to both is consistent flushing with plenty of water after dumping with the black tank flush.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #9

Actually the Horst Miracle probes eliminate the traditional issues with the through wall type.

Horst Miracle Probes Demo

I went with iSeries because it has external sensors and can report propane level. I will report back when I get a warm weekend to install it.

The best part is that both these solutions use existing wiring.

Tags
cat, tank, black tank