Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Black tank monitor issue

I have been dry camping for about two weeks and have been monitoring my black and gray tanks. This morning I found that my toilet was full of water and would not flush. My black water tank monitor light only showed 1/2 tank full. After going to a dump station and dumping my tanks, I put two bags of ice in the toilet and drove back to my electric only campsite. Tomorrow I am leaving for south Florida and full hookups, but what could be my problem with the monitor lights?

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

2 bags of ice in the toilet? Why?

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Dirty sensors...a common problem. Sometimes driving around with water and ice in the tank will help clean the sensors.

Fred
Old 05-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #4

Most of us, with factory tank sensors, have just given up on expecting accurate readings. The constant battle vs. results of gauge readings just isn't worth the bother. I can look straight down the commode (with flashlight) and see the black water level. I guess at the gray level by how much fresh water I use from my fresh tank (I have the fresh tank marked in 10 gal intervals.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black tank readings seem to be the bain of a RVers existence. I installed a "Turbo Flush" that seems to be working in keeping the sensors reading correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
YC1

My tank flush is on the far end of the tank which makes sense for cleaning the tank but does not reach the sensors. Drove me crazy. I installed a second one near the sensor and now have accurate readings. I use quick disconnects to switch between the two flush devices.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #7

I find that filling the tank with fresh water several times gets the crud off the walls and helps the sensors to work.
TK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have found that using my fresh water gauge as a monitoring tool for my black water and gray water tank. I generally have found that I fill the gray water tank about twice as fast as my black water. So when my fresh water is down to about 1/4 my gray water is about 3/4 and my black water is about 1/4. Also it's pretty easy to take a flash light and look down the toilet and see how full the black water is. About once or twice a year I use Theadford tank and gauge cleaner in my gray and black water tanks. It helps the gray water but not the black water too much. If you search this site there are a large number of threads dealing with how to keep your black water tank clean that seem to cover a wide variety of methods. All of which the poster swears by. None of which have really worked well for me. There are companies out there that will snake some high pressure hoses and cameras into your tanks and blast everything clean for you and I'm sure your gauges will work great for awhile. Good luck.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Check out this slick system for tank monitoring that solves the issues of sensors on the inside of the tank getting fouled

http://youtu.be/Z-SyklZWlVM
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
The problem with those gauges is that if the walls of the tank are fouled the gauges will stop working. So you still have the same problem. I talked to an engineer at the company not a sales guy.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Black tank monitor issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
The problem with those gauges is that if the walls of the tank are fouled the gauges will stop working. So you still have the same problem. I talked to an engineer at the company not a sales guy.
Good Luck

This quote take from here:
http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/01/12/rv...monitor-system

"Fortunately there is a relatively simple solution. SeeLevel makes a variety of monitoring systems suitable for almost any RV, from tent trailer to luxury diesel pusher. These monitoring systems work completely different from the standard fare. Rather than using through-the-tank sensors, the SeeLevel sensors are mounted on a flexible “electronic strip” that adheres to the outside of the holding tank. They can never be fouled or contaminated as they never see the inside of the tank. Well it sees it but only though some magic radar system.

From the outside of the tank, the sensors determine the tanks level by the density difference of the liquid as measured between all the sensors on the strip. So it is highly accurate and virtually foolproof. And instead of LED lights, the monitor displays the tanks levels using a percentage, which is arguably easier to interpret than some fraction."

So it appears a little crud film on the walls of the tank will NOT have a measureable effect.
It is not using optical sensors.

New info

Found this quote here:
http://www.aboutrving.com/pdfs/TankMonitoring.pdf

"If the tank wall build-up approaches 1/2 inch thick or more with scum or debris, the system will pick up that mass as a water level—another reason to clean and flush your tanks regularly."

To me 1/2 inch thick scum seems like a lot! Not likely on an even halfway maintained black tank. So seems reasonable to say that for most RV'ers this system will work fine.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Follow the directions using this stuff. It works.

Amazon.com : EXTREME CLEANER - Happy Campers Organic RV/Marine Extreme Tank & Sensor Cleaner 18 oz. : Boating Waste Treatment Products : Sports & Outdoors
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This nuGen cleaner will coat the walls of the tank for cleaner flushes and clean the sensors.
nuGen 42953 RV & camper tank treatment 20oz
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
This nuGen cleaner will coat the walls of the tank for cleaner flushes and clean the sensors.

nuGen 42953 RV & camper tank treatment 20oz

Where can I buy this?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank