Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Black tank overflow leaking

We own a 2010 Itasca Sunova. We were in a accident in 2013 where the gentleman plowed into the back left rear. It was in repair shop for a year and when we got back some things were not repaired. They had to replace all of compartments on that side. The problem we have now is it had to go back in another shop to be repainted and items repaired that were not repaired. The problem we have is that when we left the famcamp we filled the black tank with water and some cleaning fluid as it was not emptied from accident. As we pulled out water started pouring out both sides of the compartments and kept pouring out till we emptied it. The repair shop is telling us that it was just the overflow. We can't believe that much water could overflow out the compartments. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we have not had the use of it for 2 years now and suppose to pickup maybe this week.
srcolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Sorry for your misfortune, I never have heard of a black tank 'overflow'; Don't think your shop knows what they are talking about. AFAIK, the only connections to the black tank will be the toilet and vent pipe (soil stack), and of course the drain valve. If the tank was hit in the accident, the vent pipe could easily have been dislodged from the top of the black tank. Vent pipe is likely glued into the tank. Unless the tank is easy to drop, not going to be a quick repair.
Good luck.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

After re-reading your post, the black tank is likely cracked, as you said it leaked until empty. Either way, not and easy fix.
Best of luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcolgan View Post
We own a 2010 Itasca Sunova. We were in a accident in 2013 where the gentleman plowed into the back left rear. It was in repair shop for a year and when we got back some things were not repaired. They had to replace all of compartments on that side. The problem we have now is it had to go back in another shop to be repainted and items repaired that were not repaired. The problem we have is that when we left the famcamp we filled the black tank with water and some cleaning fluid as it was not emptied from accident. As we pulled out water started pouring out both sides of the compartments and kept pouring out till we emptied it. The repair shop is telling us that it was just the overflow. We can't believe that much water could overflow out the compartments. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we have not had the use of it for 2 years now and suppose to pickup maybe this week.
I can assure you, there is NO "overflow" allowed to be included in a BLACK waste tank. And, AFAIK, they can't have one on the GREY waste tank either. It is common to have an overflow on the fresh water tank ONLY.

If you've got water flowing out of the compartments and not directly onto the ground below the coach from the fresh water tank being too full, then somebody has not fixed all your damage.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
It was in repair shop for a year and when we got back some things were not repaired.
Unbelievable! And unacceptable.

BTW I totally agree with the other posters.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
X2 on damage to the black tank. I allowed my black tank to overflow (almost) once. I could see TP in the tube from looking in the toilet. It still did not drip/pour out anywhere.
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Hate to be blunt, but your repair shops are completely incompetent, heck for a year in the shop they could have rebuilt the entire coach. You really need to get with your insurance company and explain just how terrible the two shops were, and find a competent facility.

Good luck

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

If it had not been emptied since the accident it most likely froze and cracked the tank if it wasn't damaged in the accident.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your replies. We called Winnebago and their repair people told us that the shop was probably correct with the black tank overflowing. Said it was probably the rubber ring connection? Who knows? Like I said it poured out both sides of the back compartments flooding them including the hot water control area. Both of us are new to the motor home. Only got to travel in it for a year before accident. If anyone should unfortunately have an accident in Des moine Iowa don't let Vaughn's RV do the repairs. Bad bad bad!
srcolgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcolgan View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. We called Winnebago and their repair people told us that the shop was probably correct with the black tank overflowing. Said it was probably the rubber ring connection? Who knows? Like I said it poured out both sides of the back compartments flooding them including the hot water control area. Both of us are new to the motor home. Only got to travel in it for a year before accident. If anyone should unfortunately have an accident in Des moine Iowa don't let Vaughn's RV do the repairs. Bad bad bad!
Originally I understood you to say they were claiming it was coming out the "overflow", whereas now you are saying "overflowing". That difference would make for a different reply from me than what I posted originally.

Regardless, since the "rubber ring" WBGO referred to is part of the connections from the toilet into the TOP of the black tank, what did the folks at WBGO say needed to be done to fix the problem, 'cause you sure can't use it like it is.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Originally I understood you to say they were claiming it was coming out the "overflow", whereas now you are saying "overflowing". That difference would make for a different reply from me than what I posted originally.

Regardless, since the "rubber ring" WBGO referred to is part of the connections from the toilet into the TOP of the black tank, what did the folks at WBGO say needed to be done to fix the problem, 'cause you sure can't use it like it is.
Excellent question. You must be one patient guy. I would be showing up with my tar bucket and feathers along with a really nasty East Coast lawyer.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Never heard of an overflow for any tank, other than Fresh Water, isa thinkin there blowin smoke.....black tank fills up in campground then spills on to the campsite? There so full of it..........
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #13

When I worked on my blank tank on my old Itasca, Winny did not glue the black fittings to the tank. They were in with a rubber type ring and that was the pipes went into those rubber rings with clamps. I could see how the rubber tank ring could come loose and pull form the tank if someone wasn't aware of what they were doing. OP needs to start looking around real good with some flashlights and mirrors to see what is going on, or find a better repair place to check it all out.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank