Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

I have 4 suggestions... 1 - we dump the tank and than put 4-5 toilet fulls of water in the tank and add 1-2 cups of oxyclean... driving down the road the water warms and the oxyclean goes to work trying to breakdown and clean the tank... we than stop and drain the tank as needed and recharge it the same way... 2 - we have a clear adapter on the hose end to see that when we use the tank sprayer it flows clear before we stop the spray... 3 - I bought a 10 ft hose... and a special spray nozzle on Amazon for spraying pipes... the nozzle is about 1" diameter with several heads that spray in several directions and it will rotate... we clean our tank annually... BTW you'd be amazed at what can collect in the gray tank from the kitchen sink... 4 - on the way home... we charge the tank again... using the Oxyclean and at the last location before we get home we do a final drain and rinse... and recharge for storage...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I can dump using the clear elbow, with the tank wash system on, as it empties it shows clear. First impression was, good I'm done. Turns out not true.

I dump with the clear plastic elbow, and wash system on till it runs clear.THEN I close the valve and let the wash system fill the tank about 1/2 to 3/4 then open the valve. To my surprise, I get traces of paper and stuff again, when it had ran clear before. I do this twice now.

We bought this used rig a little over a year ago. Used HappY Camper with hot water a couple of times. I like to dump, as described above, add 5-10 gallons of water, then 1/4 of a bottle of generic Pine Sol. Then drive it as normal. I know the Pine Sol is doing something, and it smells good too.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #17

I volunteer at a wild life refuge... and use PineSol for cleaning pit toilets with a 200 psi sprayer... when it really gets tough to get off... I have a second sprayer of Oxyclean & 2 gal water... its a very high concentration... so from that I know the Oxyclean does work harder.... and with the heat of the day.. and sloshing around... it might help...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #18

on mine and many mh the bath sink drains into the black tank.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
5 people...........3 young'ns (ages?) and previous RV experience?

Size of Black Tank---gallons?

Agree
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure of size it's a fleetwood revolution le
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
on mine and many mh the bath sink drains into the black tank.
Ditto on most of my previous RVs
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #22

The 06 Revolution brochure shows the black tank at 40 gallons, which seems a bit smallish. I also put a clear extension on the dump line so I can monitor what's coming out. I found that it can run clear when dumping the black tank but if I fill it 1/3 to 2/3 full, I will get more out when I start dumping again. There's another surge of "material" when the tank is almost empty. Seems that this "material" is floating up on the extra water. I repeat that cycle until the last cycle is clear (or relatively so) all the way to empty. By the way, this also recovered the sensors so that they all work again. I would recommend using some of the extra chemical treatments combined with this. It took doing this several times to get the sensors back.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
Make sure the toilet is not siphoning extra water into the bowl and filling the black water tank. I had this happen when the vacuum breaker got some sand caught in it and allowed extra water to pass through. Remember, the toilet is the only means of filling the black water tank. Post the toilet model if you can so anyone familiar can provide their insight.
Not so, lots of rigs out there the bath sink goes into the black tank also. Most people don't use enough water in the toilet so they plumb the sink into the black tank to help out.
I never dump the black tank till ¾ full or so and very seldom use the SaniCon we have built in. It just doesn't have the high volume flow needed to clean the solids out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes I see the tank is 40gal but to fill it in one day there would have to be a waiting line. I talked to fleetwood and only the toilets are to the tank. As I mentioned earlier the po was using heavy duty tp. Also when I do drain I don't get that big swoosh like I did on tt. And when using tank sprayers the grey tank has a hollow sound whereas the black I can hardly hear. So I'm thinking maybe someone didn't dump and it dried from vent stack cutting my capacity down. So major clean out after a week of soaking in water, ridex til wed, then calgon and dawn then Friday happy camper cleaner with driving and hose flush on sat.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
If your toilet is directly over the tank, you might do as you said, hydrate everything with the Ridex, Calgon, Dawn, etc. Then use a power washer with a flexible wand attachment to blast things free.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 45 from toilet I am going to use hose with high pressure end
Old 06-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Why don't you do a little easy investigatory work.

With the tank empty, close the dump valve and begin filling the black tank by dumping gallons of water into the toilet. You can use an empty milk container, and run a garden hose thru the window to make it easier to fill the gallon jug.

Make note of sensor readings as you fill, so you'll understand how your sensors are calibrated (or not).

This will verify it's holding capacity, as well as the sensor readings. I suspect your sensors are showing full way to early, and you may need a really thorough cleaning.

Now dump the black tank.

Verify one last thing. With the black dump valve open (and the grey valve closed), and a clear viewing extension in place, start turning on all of your other faucets one by one, and verify that they are NOT dumping into the black tank and draining out. Check sinks, shower, clothes washer, etc.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
...Verify one last thing. With the black dump valve open (and the grey valve closed), and a clear viewing extension in place, start turning on all of your other faucets one by one, and verify that they are NOT dumping into the black tank and draining out. Check sinks, shower, clothes washer, etc.
If you just dump a little food coloring down the lavatory drain it's easy to tell if it's hooked up to the black or gray tank. If you want to check other drains, repeat the dyeing after each dump or use a different color.

Also, filling the black tank with a gallon jug will take at least 40 repetitions. A hose to time how long to fill a 5 gallon bucket, then time the filling of the tank with the hose at the toilet. Lots easier and less lifting. Math can be your friend.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank