Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Black tank probelm!!!!

I bought a used MH and used it now for the last 2 weekends and I KNOW I have a problem!! My Black tank fills in ONE day. Its me and my wife my 2 boys and one of there girl freinds. Me and my wife went up fri night and the rest showed up sat at noon. Sunday morning my black tank was full!! So is it the dreaded pyramid? I am still able to drain tank, when do my sensors show empty. Any and all solutions welcome. Before taking it back to the storage I fill the tank approx 3/4 and added some (alot) of TST tank stuff. we are going out in 2 weeks and I am going to take it to dump station next week and run the hose down there with a brass fitting to create pressure. Any other suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Make sure the toilet is not siphoning extra water into the bowl and filling the black water tank. I had this happen when the vacuum breaker got some sand caught in it and allowed extra water to pass through. Remember, the toilet is the only means of filling the black water tank. Post the toilet model if you can so anyone familiar can provide their insight.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to see if you have the dreaded TP pyramid.

Some manufacturers do plumb the bathroom sink into the blank tank. You should be able to determine if this is the case.

Also, make sure the toilet isn't continually running water into the blank tank. It's also important that people know not to run excessive water into the bowl. Not a problem if you have access to a dump but if you are boondocking everyone needs to use water conservatively.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

I would also add. Is full being determined strictly by the gauge or can you see it is full? Could be the gauge not reading correctly which is a common problem.

Steve
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If the toilet is directly on the tank you might be able to inspect from there. A camera would also help identify if it's got the pyramid. Calgon water softener is also a good addition to help liquify things in the tank.

Also check that the toilet valve is closing properly and not allowing water to continue to flow. Perhaps the kids just need a lesson in water conservation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 2 toilets, one is a dometic pedal flush the other is Thetford silence plus. The dometic if water was running i believe the bowl would fill up. as far as the thetford not sure how it workk as i just puh button but the bowl fills and then stops and never rises.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

5 people...........3 young'ns (ages?) and previous RV experience?

Size of Black Tank---gallons?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
we had a 28ft TT before this and went lots longer, kids all know rv toilet .
25 & 28 ages
Old 06-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

I wouldn't think you have any type of blockage as when you dump the tank shows empty. If you had a blockage and your sensors are working it wouldn't show as empty after dumping. The fact that the sensor level changes sounds like the sensors are working, but like said they can read full way before the tank is full if they are not set right, or it may just be someone using too much TP and water. We have two toilets and have yet to get them over half full after several days without dumping.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife found 2 rolls of tp under the sink from previous owners and they were like 6 ply like a cloth I told her we can't use those. But maybe they got a pile built up in there. Also when I used the tank flush I could hear it hitting the sides in grey tank but it was really muffled when I switched to black tank
Old 06-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #11

FWIW I would dump everything then re fill and run off of the on board water tank. Then I could make a better estimate of how much water was being used. I could also get a clue from what changed overnight or when everyone was away for more than a few hours. That would steer many of my actions.

I would also be inclined to give the contents a good soak in water and detergent. Do something like dump at the end of the weekend then fill with water and detergent and let sit for a week. Dump when I got back or went somewhere the next week. A clear elbow would show if I was getting a lot of stuff out. Bucket filling the tank would be tedious but give you a clue about it's capacity.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #12

Sounds like you have a sensor problem or a solids problem. Either way, try Happy Campers Extreem and the the regular after that. Use the Extreem as directed and you should be home free. I speak from experience.
I started using HC about five years ago and it works as advertised. Use whatever TP you want. We use the stuff from Costco and never had an issue using HC.

https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-CLEAN...tank+treatment
Old 06-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I wouldn't think you have any type of blockage as when you dump the tank shows empty. If you had a blockage and your sensors are working it wouldn't show as empty after dumping. The fact that the sensor level changes sounds like the sensors are working, but like said they can read full way before the tank is full if they are not set right, or it may just be someone using too much TP and water. We have two toilets and have yet to get them over half full after several days without dumping.
The sensors are usually on the tank sides. a mountain could form inside the tank, reducing capacity. When you dump, all the liquid drains out, sensors show empty when it's really still got a lot in it.

If you were hooked up to city water, any faucet dripping will help fill the tank prematurely. Same with leaving the water pump on when not using water can cause more to go into the tanks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a clear plastic extenision to monitor holding tank discharge. It has been suggested to dump 5 lbs into the black tank then take a drive letting the ice break up the sludge. Then fill tank atleast 3/4 then dump. Pay attention to how much waste is being discharged. My tank has a flush system ,that I can attach a hose and it sprays water into the tank. I normally will spray into the tank after draing with valve closed refilling the repeating the dumping process. Normally i will repeat a couple times before drain shows clear. My thinking the cleaner the better !!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank