Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Black Tank Sludge Treatment ???

Hello Forum members

A question that has been asked many times before, but looking for new current insights and recommendations.

My Black water tank is showing to transition from EMPTY to FULL abnormally much to fast. I suspect that my Black water tank has sludge/solids residue accumulated buildup.

What treatments (chemical and/or mechanical) are recommended to break down and remove residual sludge solids accumulated buildup ???

I have tried back-washing the tank, and tried chemical additives to the tank... but don't seem to be improving the situation.

Thoughts and suggestions ??

THANKS !!
wrbsab12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you're basing all your findings on the sensors are you sure they are working?
There are really affordable cameras now..... that would be really interesting.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Assuming the tank is truly full and not just sensor broken (how much liquid drains out when "full"?)

You could have the tank siphon emptied via the toilet by a septic service.

I would go to home depot and get the plastic carpet protective cover and line the path the siphon would go, if the hose can't do through a bathroom window.

You could also use a power washer from the toilet to break up any solids. Certainly the black tank needs to be draining and opened while doing the power washing.
Put a towel around the washer shaft to eliminate back wash.

Uglier, but you could also powerwash from the drain side too. Wear a paint full cover tyvek coveralls...

I read about folks removing the tank to replace / clean them and can't understand why the power wash wouldn't work. Not a fun job for sure but much better than removing the tank. I guess if the toilet isn't a straight drop into the tank, then it's more difficult.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happy Camper Extreme (not the regular Happy Camper). Excellent for difficult to get clean tanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

Couple of bags of ice and about twenty miles. Calgon added........will work wonders for you and your tank........both will be happy
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Use blue Dawn dish soap. Buy the large bottle from Costco. Sometimes it will also help to add a heavy dose of CLR (calcium lime rust remover). Fill the tank and let it soak for a couple of days and then rinse. Do it again, and again.

What make and model is the motorhome? You may be too late and still need to change the tank sensors.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would use the Happy Camper Extreme treatment to dissolve the sludge, then use the regular Happy Camper on a regular basis!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

I have read that the ice theory has been debunked on video. If there is a mass of solid waste from leaving the drain valve open then it will be difficult to remove. I only can offer turning the tank flush on and leaving it on for as long as possible with a clear fitting somewhere so you can see if the spray is breaking off pieces.

Then use dawn and whatever and miles to "scrub" the inside of the tank and start all over again.

The folks who suggest making sure it is the leftover solids and not just a problem with the sensors are absolutely correct IMHO
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #9

You might also get an endoscope (borescope) and snake it into the tank to see what is really going on. $20 on Amazon.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
You might also get an endoscope (borescope) and snake it into the tank to see what is really going on. $20 on Amazon.
I received that endoscope and so far haven't gotten it to work on Android 9...hopefully it's just a combination of security OKs and a different smartphone app.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I received that endoscope and so far haven't gotten it to work on Android 9...hopefully it's just a combination of security OKs and a different smartphone app.

I've been using it on an old Windows 7 laptop.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I rigged up a pressure washer tip to the end of a hose and stuck it down the toilet and fired it up. Might get some hearing protectors to wear as it will do a bunch of banging around.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #13

Over a dozen years ago, I bought my youngest daughter and her husband a used Jayco TT that had sat it's whole life in an RV resort and the owner used to just leave the holding tank valves open. The black tank was about 1/2 full of solids that would not flush out. The negotiated price of the TT was right even if I had to pull the tank and replace it, but before doing that I used a holding tank treatment that was basically a bacterial like Roebic or Rid-X. I filled the tank with water, added a healthy dose, drove it around a little to mix it up, and left it sit for a couple of weeks. Those little bacteria did their duty eating up all those years of buildup right down to the tank bottom. Flushed the tank and it was like new.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #14

Just had success by filling the tank, adding two black tank bags, and a quart of Simple Green.Waited 24 our and the sensor was working

Tags
black tank, tank