Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Black Tank Vent Plugged?

When I flush the gravity toilet, I get a bubble from the opening. I suspect the vent tube is blocked. Any suggestions on clearing the vent?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only time I have seen that is when the tanks are nearly, (or actually), full. Do you have that bubbling when the tanks are just emptied out?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Try going up on the roof and snaking a plumber's snake down your vents until in the tank.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

Sounds like the dreaded "Poop Pyramid" to me.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

your 'poop' and 'tp' has created a blockage right at the bottom of the commode tube in the black tank. A few times this may happen - just find a 'ol stick about 24" from outside and 'stir' it while flushing. That'll dislodge the blockage fairly quickly, and you used a 'disposable' item that you can 'recycle' in the great outdoors!
The issue is really that the commode exit tube into the tank below is only several inches from the bottom of the black tank - it makes sense because your black tank typically starts on the passenger side of your coach, but exits on the other 'business' side where the sewer hose connects. The black tank is typically only 4-6" in height under the commode, but expands to 24-30" on the other side, providing the needed 'slope' for it to 'do' its work!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

This happens even after emptying the tank. I'll try the stirring with a stick.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

After emptying and flushing the black tank (make sure you can see the bottom with a flashlight), grab a 10' tape measure, climb on the roof, remove the vent cap, then measure to the bottom of the tank, then slowly pull the tape up until it catches on the bottom of the vent pipe. That distance should be within very near the depth of the tank. Sometimes if the vent pipe is not cemented into the tank solidly, it will vibrate down into the tank and produce what you described, if that happens when the vent cap is removed the pipe will appear too short.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

This is happening to me also,we have to close the lid before we flush,When we push on the flush paddle we get a blowback.Our MH has sat idle for many years.Thanks for any help
Paul
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #9

Today, when I went to flush the gravity toilet, the water just filled up the bowl. I opened the black tank valve and it would not drain. Looks like a major blockage. Service has been scheduled.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

I started useing Oxy Kem ,seems to work better
Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #11

A week ago I had a neighbor in an RV park with the same problem with his 5th wheel. Someone suggested he use a plunger on the toilet. He gave it a couple of strokes and it cleared the blockage.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #12

I will look into using a plunger.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If need be while using plunger, go topside and stuff a large rag in the black tank vent. Don't forget to take it out.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

Mobile Service came and had to flush the tank from the drain valve side. He also found the gravity toilet plugged and cleaned it out. It wasn't cheap, but we have our flushing toilets back. The Mobile Service guy said to use only RV type of toilet paper. It is sold at Walmart. He said the septic safe paper has nylon in it and doesn't break down. This is the first time in 10 years where using septic safe paper caused a problem.

Tags
tank, vent