Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm considering installing one of these.

Ultra-Fab Solar Powered RV Plumbing Vent

I'm sure it won't last more than a few years but I like the idea of a genuine exhaust fan.

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Your not running the exhaust fan when you flush are you?
Nope, but we definitely have been running it after!

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrede View Post
We too had the same problem(s) that you mention. After some investigation here's what I found.
1. Roof vent pipe was choked nearly closed with "dirt dobbers" nest. Used a piece of pipe with a homemade jet hooked to water hose to clean out the pipe.
Still had the smell...
2. Replaced the base (wax ring in your house) gasket on toilet. It was cut, this helped quite a bit.
Still smelled a little.
3. Installed a "Cyclone" vent cover. This swivels with the wind, and tends to draw the odors out of the tank.
NO MORE SMELL, wither while parked or while traveling.
Problem now solved and the DW is LOTS happier!

Good Luck,
Kerry
We are installing the Cyclone one as well on both the gray and black tank pipes. The toilet seal tested fine though.

Thanks Kerry,
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I'm considering installing one of these.

Ultra-Fab Solar Powered RV Plumbing Vent

I'm sure it won't last more than a few years but I like the idea of a genuine exhaust fan.

Jack
We considered that but when the sun goes down the fan turns off so I decided against it. We also thought about the Lil Stanker with two speeds but can't get it here in time for the next trip which is supposed to be this weekend.

I may still order one to go inline with the pipe. I would choose the Cyclone or Lil Stanker over the solar option, unless there was a battery option to go with it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll email the company to see if the solar unit has a battery or not. I'll let you know.

Jack
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #20

Quote:
I'll email the company to see if the solar unit has a battery or not. I'll let you know.

Jack
Jack,

Sounds good!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #21

The air admittance valves (1 under the kitchen sink and 1 under and bath sink) can look good and still allow bad odors. Several years ago, they cost only about $5.00 at Home Depot. I'd suggest replacing both valves. When I had a valve failure on my Holiday Rambler, the replacement valve I purchased looked like a better design than what I removed. It certainly solved my odor problem.

Just unscrew one of the valves and take it with you when you go shopping. The plumbing department can match it for you.

Fred
Old 07-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't heard back from the manufacturer but the specs have a line that reads "solar powered start and stop". This would imply no battery. Unfortunately, we've been know to flush the toilet after dark.

We've been full-timing since 2004 and have tried a few after-market vents to help improve air flow across the vent pipe. Some of the rotating models work quite well but when it's very warm and the tank hasn't been emptied or cleaned in a while, there is a distinct odor when flushing the toilet (even when the exhaust fan is off). Of course it's much worse if the exhaust fan is on.

As a result, I'm planning to install a 12-volt "Lil' Stanker" this summer on top of the vent pipe. I plan to run the wire down the outside of the vent pipe and pull it through the wall (by a light switch) to supply power and provide a convenient location for the toggle switch that comes with the device.
Gray water isn't normally a problem if the p-traps (air-admittance valves) are functioning properly but the black tank is another story. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
EndeavorV10....Just out of curiousity, did your Monaco come with a SaniCon macerator? If so, the stock hoses are premeable and will smell. The smell will often drift up behind the toilet where the plumbing is located. If you have a SaniCon, you need to replace the 3" hose in the utillity bay with a new high quality section of drain hose.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #24

Make sure all your traps have water in them, including the washer/dryer trap.

I have to run mine on rinse cycle to fill the trap.

Gas will come from the gray water tank and smell like poop.

Wash out the black tank several times before camping. Also wash out several times before leaving for home.

Before leaving the house put about three inches of water in the black tank and dump all the ice you can find down the toilet. The ice will scrape the solids off the bottom while you travel and you can flush them out at your destination.

I have used bleach to sanitize the black tank and the gray water tank.

Some purist's will scream about the bleach eating the valve seals, but its better than smelling poop for the duration of travel and camping.

Wally Crawford

97 Dolphin 36' 454
Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
The air admittance valves (1 under the kitchen sink and 1 under and bath sink) can look good and still allow bad odors. Several years ago, they cost only about $5.00 at Home Depot. I'd suggest replacing both valves. When I had a valve failure on my Holiday Rambler, the replacement valve I purchased looked like a better design than what I removed. It certainly solved my odor problem.

Just unscrew one of the valves and take it with you when you go shopping. The plumbing department can match it for you.

Fred
I wish it was so easy. I'll try and post a picture but the valves are right up against the rear wall under the sinks and the water lines are tied to them. Who ever did the original install must have been a 5 year old because no adult hand will fit. When I get the rig back I'll snap some shots and post them but I will buy new valves and hold onto them.

The dealer did a pressure test which tests the valves and vent stack exiting out the roof for both the gray and black tank and found they all operated properly.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
I haven't heard back from the manufacturer but the specs have a line that reads "solar powered start and stop". This would imply no battery. Unfortunately, we've been know to flush the toilet after dark.

We've been full-timing since 2004 and have tried a few after-market vents to help improve air flow across the vent pipe. Some of the rotating models work quite well but when it's very warm and the tank hasn't been emptied or cleaned in a while, there is a distinct odor when flushing the toilet (even when the exhaust fan is off). Of course it's much worse if the exhaust fan is on.

As a result, I'm planning to install a 12-volt "Lil' Stanker" this summer on top of the vent pipe. I plan to run the wire down the outside of the vent pipe and pull it through the wall (by a light switch) to supply power and provide a convenient location for the toggle switch that comes with the device.
Gray water isn't normally a problem if the p-traps (air-admittance valves) are functioning properly but the black tank is another story. Best of luck.

Jack
Jack,

The dealer installed new Cyclone vents for both the gray and black tanks. Thankfully we have never had an issue with the gray tank and the black tank was only during flushing on hot days so I'm hoping this helps. I am going to put water down the overflow in the toilet when I get the rig back.

I'm also going to install the inline Lil Stanker on the black tank vent pipe going to the roof. I am positive the black tank is clean, I back flush the tank from the toilet and from the back flusher and when I shine a very bright flashlight down the toilet opening it looks very clean.

We'll see how it goes next weekend!

Thanks Jack
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
EndeavorV10....Just out of curiousity, did your Monaco come with a SaniCon macerator? If so, the stock hoses are premeable and will smell. The smell will often drift up behind the toilet where the plumbing is located. If you have a SaniCon, you need to replace the 3" hose in the utillity bay with a new high quality section of drain hose.
Nope, the SaniCon wasn't an option pre Monaco days on the gas Endeavor but thanks for the tip, I'll file it for future use on our next rig should it have one.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpwire View Post
Make sure all your traps have water in them, including the washer/dryer trap.

I have to run mine on rinse cycle to fill the trap.
Our rig was supposed to have the washer dryer prep, the original owner paid for it per the invoice but the rig doesn't have it. Not sure if the guy missed it or got reimbursed for the mistake or not though.

I always make sure the traps have water in them as well.

Quote:
Gas will come from the gray water tank and smell like poop.
The only smell we get is when we flush and the gas comes right out of the toilet on hot days. Cool days have been no problem. We have had no issues with the gray tank side of things thus far thank God.

Quote:
Wash out the black tank several times before camping. Also wash out several times before leaving for home.
I am the black tank cleaning Mofo king, I spend over an hour flushing the black tank and rinsing it from the toilet side. When I'm done the smell is like fresh water.

Quote:
Before leaving the house put about three inches of water in the black tank and dump all the ice you can find down the toilet. The ice will scrape the solids off the bottom while you travel and you can flush them out at your destination.
I did the ice trick on our first outing, works great. I always keep a few gallons in the tank so when we get to the next site I flush it and then add about 5 gallons again. I have also tried chemicals and no chemicals, on hot days it just doesn't matter, the stench during flushing the toilet was just rank.

We really hope the Cyclone vents help.

Quote:
I have used bleach to sanitize the black tank and the gray water tank.

Some purist's will scream about the bleach eating the valve seals, but its better than smelling poop for the duration of travel and camping.

Wally Crawford

97 Dolphin 36' 454
I'm not going to bleach it yet, after I back flush and clean the tank the smell is fine so we'll see how the new vents work out.

Thanks for the reply Wally!

Tags
tank