Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Black Tank Wont Dump

No issues until now with dumping black or gray. In a CG last two nights hooked up and just went to dump prior heading out. Tank handle easily pulls out as usual but no water dumps. Gray tank dumps fine. Again, the handle slides in and out but no water flows. Is there any temporary way to dump and then pull the valve later when I get to a repair facility? Ideas appreciated soon as I'm about ready to move and worry later. Just hoping!

rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #2

I think you need to try some thing like this, to back flush the opening.

RV Hydro Flush 45 Degree - Valterra F02-4100 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

Or the door broke free from the handle, which won't be good.

Good luck.

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
If, when you pull the black tank dump lever, it feels like the dam (for want of a better word) is actually opening, there should be something at least leaking out, and if left open will cure itself.

If there is no leakage, hold the dump hose as high as possible, being higher than the top of the tank, and then run water into the upraised hole in an effort to unclog the obstruction.

If that does not work, and end cap with a hose fitting supplied, and a hose under pressure may unclog it.

If that does not work, the remedy is much more difficult, but a trip around the block, thus slopping around the tank contents may do the trick.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the valve actually moving when the handle pulls out? Put on some vinyl gloves and poke a finger into the valve with the handle pulled (assuming the valve is still stuck) You will be able to feel the plastic gate that blocks the liquid when not dumping. If it is still covering the valve, the pull handle may have stripped the plastic threads it is screwed into. I assume you tried screwing the handle rod back into the valve already. If that isn't the issue....their could be a blockage. Usually some liquids should seep out. There is a device/elbow that is clear and allows you to attach a hose that will spray into the valve at high pressure. Take off the pressure reducer on the spigot for more force. Always been able to eventually take care of this issue without having to pay someone to clean out our "stuff."
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
If the black tank isnt completely full...you can cap the hose outlet , fill the gray water tank then use the gray water to backflush into the black tank. Some times I let the gray water run into my black tank before I drain the black tank. Dont know if that made any sense?

I hope it goes well for you.
2006 Monaco Executive
Detroit 60-14 liter
Sisterdale, Texas
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Added water to the tank; drove 150 miles and tried again. Still won't dump. Got an opinion from a recommended mobile rv tech on the phone. Based on what I told him my valve assy is broken. Sitting at Camping World so they can replace it tomorrow. I know it's going to cost a bundle but don't think La Mesa RV would be any better and I won't tackle it myself while on the road. I think this is where I'm supposed to say "it's all part of the experience".

rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I would imagine that if you dislodge the clog somehow while your sewer hose isn't securely in the hook up you will have quite a mess on your hands. Explore every other option before you take that hose off. I had this happen to us last summer. Had a lot of visitors over & even tho warned about using too much toilet paper we had a plugged black valve. On top of that the T handle pulled off at the same time. Was able to grab the wire with some pliers and get the gate valve open but nothing would flow. Ended up using a spare garden hose and sending it down the toilet into the tank while my wife turned the faucet on full. Moved it all around and finally dislodged the blockage. Make sure your sewer hose is firmly secured at your MH and the hookup because when that blockage lets go the whole tank is coming out quick lol. Pulled the hose out and had a large Rubbermaid bin in the hallway to put the hose in then shut off the faucet. Brought the bin outside and filled it up with enough water to cover the hose & dumped in a half gallon of bleach. Let sit for a few hours to disinfect. Wear good rubber gloves & safety glasses in case of any splash back from the toilet bowl when you have the hose in the toilet. Best of luck.

Joe & Kathy
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse Chassis
joemcgin is online now   Reply With Quote