Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Black waste tank question

When I bought my 2003 model 35' Rexhall last spring , I had the service manager take me to a local campground and walk me through the set up process. One of the things he told me was not to leave the black tank dump valve open while at a site, but to dump it every three or four days whenever it got full. This has not been an issue so far as most of our camping trips this summer have been three to four days. However, this winter I am planning an extended stay of six weeks or so at a campground in Florida. How do you snowbirds that winter in the south handle this?
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If we have full hookups at the campground, we dump every three to four days. Or when the tank shows "full". If we don't have sewer hookups we go to the dump station every three to four days. Maybe I don't understand your question. You must dump when full.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
paz

Leave the rig hooked up to the sewer all the time, and leave the black valve closed. Like Lostdog says, just go out every 3 or 4 days or whenever your black tank is full and dump.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #4

It takes water, lots of water to flush the solids and paper out of the blank tank and hose. The service manager was correct. Keep the black tank closed until about 2/3 full. Then close the gray tank valve, dump the black tank, close black tank valve, re-open the gray tank valve and add a few gallons of fresh water to the black tank to start the process all over again.

A day or so before you get ready to leave, close the gray tank to let it accumulate. Then dump the black tanks as normal, perhaps flush it out once or twice with fresh water, then dump the gray.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
HE was talking about waste buildup in the tank. If you leave the black water tank valve open all the time, the water will run out and the waste will start to pile up. It will cause what is called in the business an anthill. If you keep the valve closed, it will build up a large amount of water and waste and rush out of the tank, carrying everything with it.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks. That is sort of what I figured. Part of my problem is that the level indicator lights all indicate full, even when it is freshly dumped. I have tried cleaning solutions, and the "bag of ice" drive around trick. Neither one helped.
Also tried the reverse flush with a valve that is built into the Rexhall. Didn't help. If I order one of those wands that you stick down through the toilet and hook up to water hose, how do you know which way to aim the jet ?
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use this- I know it will work for you too. You won't have to drag the hose into your bathroom with the wand. This works great.

Electronic Odor Control Inc - Flush King - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
If I order one of those wands that you stick down through the toilet and hook up to water hose, how do you know which way to aim the jet ?
The wand I have sprays water in many directions. Flexible so it bends and you can twist it if needed. Camping World has them.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dump every 3 or 4 days when the black tank gets full.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find out if your sensors are inside or outside the tank. They may not be clogged but have other problems if they are outside sensors. I suspect they are inside however.

You just need to get a wand and give it a go. No need to be precisely accurate just thurough get it in there with good pressure and move it around. I suspect the previous owner was lax about cleaning and this is the result.

As far as flushing when I am at home I do it with hot water---makes a big difference. Fill it 3/4 with hot using the wand and your cleaner---drive around then dump.

Worst case---sensors can be replaced--it is a DIY job. And you have to find them to replace them---mine are behind a panel in the basement where the toilet sits against the wall above (?) hopefully that is clear.

My sensors work fine nineyars running----but I am a fanatic about it---can't stand for stuff not to work right.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
When the black tank ( or grey)is full, it will burp. Time to pull that valve !!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Bobb.25. Please see this thread.

Mark

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/the-d...id-101195.html

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Thanks. That is sort of what I figured. Part of my problem is that the level indicator lights all indicate full, even when it is freshly dumped. I have tried cleaning solutions, and the "bag of ice" drive around trick. Neither one helped.
Also tried the reverse flush with a valve that is built into the Rexhall. Didn't help. If I order one of those wands that you stick down through the toilet and hook up to water hose, how do you know which way to aim the jet ?
The black tank is usually directly under the toilet. To find where the probes are, look at the tank and you will see where the wires go into the tank. that is where the probes are. Direct the spray toward the probes. You also can buy probe cleaner from thetford. It comes in granuler form and mixes with water. It says to let set for hours, but i let it set for days.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
You could also try putting some Dawn dish soap and/or some water softener into the black tank. Add water and let it swish around on your way to the next campground with sewer hookups.

The above has worked for some folks.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank