Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
Black water electronic valve

Hi.... I have a 2003 43 ft. Beaver Marque Amathisis.....on my black and grey water tanks I have an electronic release valves....it seems that my black water release is giving me a problem, the red LED lite doesn't go on all the time and as of now Im not sure if my tank is empty or not. I do believe its not completely empty.... Is there any way to manually open the electronic valve. I do have another electronic release assembly that had come with my coach....(probably the other owner was having the same problem and bought a replacement)..... but to replace it Im afraid that if the tank has waste in it, it will spill all over and what a mess that would be lol.....sooo....is there something I can do to manually release the old valve....thanks Richard

Richies34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Magna we just bought has electrically operated valves. Haven't had it long enough to even pull the stainless panel off and see if there's a way to manually operate them. I hope they all do!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Easy way to tell if the valve is open is to put a clear extension on the sewer pipe and run water into the black tank via the toilet or back flush. If water runs out the valve is open. I don't know about any manual operation on them, you'd have to check with the manufacturer. I think some of them do come with that provision and are operated by an Allen wrench to slide the valve.
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
The problem I have is that 2 weeks ago I was in Florida...when packing up my RV.......I was able to turn on the grey water open/close switch....LED came on.......the black tank I was able to open and drain, seemed to close.... LED went out..... but when I was done back feeding water thru my panel to clean out the black tank.....seems like the black water electronic valve wouldn't open.....the LED didn't come on.......I think I might have the water I put in to rinse out the black tank might still be in there....I( do have a dump station near by and that's why I was inquiring about a manual over ride on this electronic system......Im wishing it had the old fashion pull handle...at least then you know its opening.....thanks for your suggestion.......
Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
If the concern is knowing that the valve is opening:

Install your drain hose. Kink it a little bit. Have someone activate the electronic valve.

You will know quickly if the drain is releasing material because the hose will become heavy and maybe even swollen. (I usually can hear the effluent moving into the dump station when dumping the tanks.)

If nothing is evident do as recommended above and add some water to the black tank.

If still nothing flowing, locate the valve and try to trigger it with a jumper wire from your batteries positive post to the valve.

Worst case is you will have an even more full waste tank to take to the rv mechanic.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Thanks Dean....I do know when its flowing as you say.....the issue I was talking about was trying to open the valve .....I believe its not opening and want to know how to open it, I will try triggering it with 12 volts. It has been intermitting since I bought this Coach last year, there was new valve in one of the storage bins I found.....might have been for replacing this one that Im talking about.......
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Richies34.....The majority of them have a manual crank on them. Look for a hole on the side of the mechanism that you can insert something like an allen wrench. I just installed one on my coach and it came with a wrench that I attached to the valve in case I ever need it.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
Thanks Don....will look into that......
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #9
Mine has a place on the side where you can actuate it with a 1/8" allen head wrench. Had to use it a couple of times when the valve wouldn't open. I had it replaced under warranty and it's worked fine ever since, but I still carry a 1/8" allen key with me. I also add water softener to my black tank to help keep it moving properly. BTW, you should be able to hear the valve actuating when you press the switch if it is close to the control panel.

2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote