Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Black water showing full but not really full.

Now I have another question to post. This one embarrassing. LOL. The black water showing full. But not really full. Can see toilet tissue when flushing.
HuddJams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi HuddJams,
Many RVs have sensors that can corrode or become contaminated with waste and/or waste paper. If the sensor has moisture on it, it will register on the monitor panel. There are several possible remedies. Some examples are:
1. Use a wand type pressure washer made especially for this task.
2. Fill the tank 1/2 full of water. Put 5 bags of ice cubes in the tank. Drive for 30 minutes or so. Stop and go driving is best.
3. As the tank is in normal use, add a chemical made to clean the tank an sensors.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Nothing embarrassing in that question, everybody Poops.
Many have had success with the 'Geo method' https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Here's a video with some tips too:

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You'll soon learn that when she burbs it is time to dump. Sensors are notoriously inaccurate. Water, and lots of it, best additive for tanks.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black (And gray) showing full when the tanks are clearly EMPTY is what we call working as designed. I mean it is good they use those sensors on the black tanks cause they are.... black tank contents (IN fact, they truly are black tank contents being as they are inside the tank)

The GEO method where you empty the tank add 1/2 cup each Dawn Dishwashing liquid (Original blue, NOT antibacterial yellow) and calgon water softener, and then add water (I use about six gallons myself) sometimes works.

A good pressure wash wand such as the Valterra Master Blaster (Though I do not like that one, I like my home made one better, Same concept less chanse of the nose breaking off) sometimes works.

Horst Miricle Probes sometimes work

Chemical additives WILL NOT WORK (Save for cleaners cited above).

See-Level sensors WILL WORK, So why does the industry not use them?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Like others said bad sensor readings are a common problem. We've used GEO method and back-flush with success over the past 2 years to keep the sensors working properly. Many RVers ends up installing better sensors like the SeeLevel mentioned above.

If you're interested I just wrote a post about tank sensor cleaning recently on the blog:
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...he-geo-method/
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My black tank started to do the same thing, so I purchased an adapter to screw into the bathroom sink, which came with a three foot hose from my local RV place. This then attaches to the sprayer wand.

You empty your black tank and then run only the hot water through the sprayer wand down into the tank from the toilet. Move that wand around, and if you can, gently get it down the "neck" of the tank toward where it dumps.

I leave the valve open, when I am doing this. Did a fantastic job and my sensors are now working as they should. My tank, when viewed from toilet, looks like it is brand new.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The dreaded..........

If you see TP in the tank you may have the dreaded 'Pyramid of poo'. Often times that is accompanied with a blockage of the outflow.

In addition to the already good suggestions you've received here you may want to get a Black Tank Backflush adapter like this one : http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ush-king/20522

Or you could make your own out of a non-valved backflush adapter and a seperate gate valve.

This is the best way I've found to clear a blockage.

I made my own cleaning wand out of a 4 foot piece of PVC pipe, a hose adapter with a valve, and a PVC cap with a SINGLE 1/4" hole spraying 90 degrees off the cap. It blasted the crap (pun intended) off the probes. Total cost of about $4.00.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like everyone said, these sensors are not the best in the world since they get clogged up real easy and then give false readings. Use lots of water to flush tanks each time you dump them. To get the sensors clean may take some work, but it can be done. Do like Muddypaws did and make you a sprayer or buy one from rv store. I spent a good amount of time cleaning my tanks with the sprayer and also used the ice method to help. Once I had them as clean as possible, I add about 1/2 to a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a few ounces or liquid Ridex. I have been doing this way for a good long while and it works for me, plus the sensors work properly.