Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

Black water tank problem

When toilet is used it does not let all solids go down. And then fills up and unable to use. Do those line/tank rinsers work or if that does not do the deed then can a plumber fix.

Also would replacing blackwater tank be easier and quicker?
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the waste line go straight to the tank or does it 45 into it? If the line has a 45 in it you may have TP built up in the line. Should ask, is you toilet electric flush or pedal flush. If it is electric flush, you may have something blocking the macerator. A friend of mine dropped a paper napkin in theirs and had to remove the toilet to get it out. Or you tank could use a very good cleaning using laundry detergent, water softener, and bleach. I cleaned my tank recently using those items so I could replace the dump valves. Keep flushing until the water run clear.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First need to identify if you have any obstruction/blockage in the down spout or tank.
Use of an Inspection Camera with snake/wand and monitor will help. Search results for: 'Inspection camera' Maybe you can rent one.

After a tank is emptied, it should be flushed out with hose or buckets of water. Just as you rinse out the kitchen sink after you pull the plug. Then you want to add water before anyone takes a #2 or places paper in the toilet to allow it to dissolve. Remember, not all toilet paper dissolves easily. Kleenex does not dissolve.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure you are leaving the black tank dump valve closed until it is at least 2/3 full; then dump the tank and wash out well. Follow other's advice also.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
When toilet is used it does not let all solids go down. And then fills up and unable to use. Do those line/tank rinsers work or if that does not do the deed then can a plumber fix.

Also would replacing blackwater tank be easier and quicker?
We occasionally have a similar issue. This isn't a pleasant subject but if you don't deal with it properly it will make your RV life difficult. We've been full-timing for the last six months so we experience this problem more often as we remain stationary for longer periods.

In our Winnie, when the toilet is flushed, the "solids" drop straight down into the tank. The tank is long, and wide (40 gallons) but not very deep. Sometimes our "solids" will begin to mound up from the bottom of the tank until they reach the bottom of the toilet downspout. Once that occurs, any additional solids quickly fill the downspout between the tank and the ball valve. Since these solids never reach the chemically treated water area, they begin to cause an obnoxious odor VERY quickly. This is usually our sign that action must be taken.

We only experience this problem when we are stationary for more than a few days. Driving the coach agitates the tank and breaks the mound apart.

Here are the things I do to deal with the problem when stationary:
- Never leave the black water dump valve open continuously, even when connected to a sewer line. The tank must have water in it to work properly.
- After dumping the black tank, immediately refill with water to at least 1/3 full. Then add your treatment chemical of choice. Keeping water in the tank ensures that solids drop into a pool of treated water instead of sticking in the bottom of the tank. The amount of water you need to add will depend on the size, and shape of your tank. You need at least a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank.
- When dumping the tank, rinse it well. My externally connected rinse system does a fairly good job but will not remove solids that have stuck to the bottom or sides of the tank. I use that system mostly to add water to the tank. To completely clear the tank of solids, I use a rinse wand which I insert down through the toilet flush valve. I use the long flexible wand that Camping World sells. I usually don't even hook it up to a water source, I just use it to break up the solids and allow my externally connected rinse system to move them out of the tank. Maybe every fifth dump or so I'll hook the wand up to a hose and rinse the inside of the empty tank well.
- During use, take a flashlight and examine the bottom of the tank. I just hold the flush valve open and look into the tank. If I see mounding starting, I use a stick (actually a piece of PVC pipe) to break up the mound. That usually solves the problem for at least a few days.

I hope those tips will help you with your issue. I wish somebody would come up with a tank agitation system that could be activated from inside the coach. Some sort of system that moved the contents around would completely solve this problem. Until then, we are stuck with the manual methods above.

Good luck!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wonder which toilet is involved?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Does the waste line go straight to the tank or does it 45 into it? If the line has a 45 in it you may have TP built up in the line. Should ask, is you toilet electric flush or pedal flush. If it is electric flush, you may have something blocking the macerator. A friend of mine dropped a paper napkin in theirs and had to remove the toilet to get it out. Or you tank could use a very good cleaning using laundry detergent, water softener, and bleach. I cleaned my tank recently using those items so I could replace the dump valves. Keep flushing until the water run clear.
It has a 45 degree angle and is pedal flush. We used ingredients you mentioned plus other recommeneded stuff a month ago and worked better but bad again. We do not flush any paper down toilet since we are having problems. We always flush with Hot water but does not do much good.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
We occasionally have a similar issue. This isn't a pleasant subject but if you don't deal with it properly it will make your RV life difficult. We've been full-timing for the last six months so we experience this problem more often as we remain stationary for longer periods.

In our Winnie, when the toilet is flushed, the "solids" drop straight down into the tank. The tank is long, and wide (40 gallons) but not very deep. Sometimes our "solids" will begin to mound up from the bottom of the tank until they reach the bottom of the toilet downspout. Once that occurs, any additional solids quickly fill the downspout between the tank and the ball valve. Since these solids never reach the chemically treated water area, they begin to cause an obnoxious odor VERY quickly. This is usually our sign that action must be taken.

We only experience this problem when we are stationary for more than a few days. Driving the coach agitates the tank and breaks the mound apart.

Here are the things I do to deal with the problem when stationary:
- Never leave the black water dump valve open continuously, even when connected to a sewer line. The tank must have water in it to work properly.
- After dumping the black tank, immediately refill with water to at least 1/3 full. Then add your treatment chemical of choice. Keeping water in the tank ensures that solids drop into a pool of treated water instead of sticking in the bottom of the tank. The amount of water you need to add will depend on the size, and shape of your tank. You need at least a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank.
- When dumping the tank, rinse it well. My externally connected rinse system does a fairly good job but will not remove solids that have stuck to the bottom or sides of the tank. I use that system mostly to add water to the tank. To completely clear the tank of solids, I use a rinse wand which I insert down through the toilet flush valve. I use the long flexible wand that Camping World sells. I usually don't even hook it up to a water source, I just use it to break up the solids and allow my externally connected rinse system to move them out of the tank. Maybe every fifth dump or so I'll hook the wand up to a hose and rinse the inside of the empty tank well.
- During use, take a flashlight and examine the bottom of the tank. I just hold the flush valve open and look into the tank. If I see mounding starting, I use a stick (actually a piece of PVC pipe) to break up the mound. That usually solves the problem for at least a few days.

I hope those tips will help you with your issue. I wish somebody would come up with a tank agitation system that could be activated from inside the coach. Some sort of system that moved the contents around would completely solve this problem. Until then, we are stuck with the manual methods above.

Good luck!
Very good info. I am in an RV park for 1yr and empty tank about every 10 days. I was not putting water back in so that is something I will start doing. I am going to get wand you are talking about and now I use the end of an old cane and it is not doing any good. yuck!! I need my wife here to help me or better yet take over,lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ours has a hand sprayer which works really well getting everything out of the bowl. However, our toilet goes straight down to the tank, which eliminates the problems you're having. What you are describing definitely sounds like blockage in that 45 angle. If this is occurring right after storage and having continuous problems, it's possible something was left in that angled pipe and has hardened. Even if not, there is some blockage and I would get or rent a drain snake of the diameter of the pipe. Then give it a good going over to make sure anything that may have hardened in the pipe is gone, so it doesn't catch anything going down, creating another blockage.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #10

Might be worth trying one of the sewer blockage cleaners from the hardware store to see if it will dissolve some of the build up. Once the flush pipe is clean, following the advice about having a little water in the tank and not leaving the dump valve open should keep it that way.

Another possibility is that something has dropped down into the bowl ie a toothbrush, and been flushed and is lodged across the flush pipe causing hangups. Careful use of a plumbers snake (making sure to hold the flush valve fully open) might solve that problem.

Not hard to turn the flush water off and use a mechanics inspection mirror and a torch to see around the first bend and you might see the problem straight away..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Might be worth trying one of the sewer blockage cleaners from the hardware store to see if it will dissolve some of the build up. Once the flush pipe is clean, following the advice about having a little water in the tank and not leaving the dump valve open should keep it that way.

Another possibility is that something has dropped down into the bowl ie a toothbrush, and been flushed and is lodged across the flush pipe causing hangups. Careful use of a plumbers snake (making sure to hold the flush valve fully open) might solve that problem.

Not hard to turn the flush water off and use a mechanics inspection mirror and a torch to see around the first bend and you might see the problem straight away..
We have used cleaners from hardware store and a plumbers snake helped some but problem back.

I am at my wits end and will try water wand and then will just replace tank with NO 45 degree angle. Thanks for all input!!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see you have a Tiffin Allegro Bay. I think a tank replacement would be $$$ and if this is a reoccurring problem a new tank may not be a fix. Try this first:
Do the wand cleaning, filling the tank 2/3 or more with water (hose right down the toilet) prior to dumping to get the mound down. Repeat a couple times.
Then I think you need to put 5 gal of hot water, soap, water softener (Geo method) and drive 10 miles or more to shake things up - fill the tank 2/3 with water and dump again.
I think that if you do this Geo/drive/fill/dump every 10 days (your normal dump cycle) and your issue should dissolve within 3 or 4 trips. Plus you tank will smell good:>)
After each dump, add 5 gal of water with the soap/softener mixed in.
Prior to driving, I use 5 gal of hot water, liquid laundry soap, Gain liquid fabric softener then drive/fill dump (vs. the water softener in the Geo method). This cleaned my tank issues.
Then get in the habit of adding 5 gal of water after each dump and dump with 2/3 tank or more you should be OK.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When I travel between stops I fill the black tank 1/2 way full of water and put in a bag of ice and drive.
By the time I park, the ice is melted and the tank sides are clean. Then just dump it all. Works good for me.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

Tony you must be speaking the King's English! I hope somebody doesn't use a "torch" in their holding tank!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water