Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
I strongly disagree with not using waste digester. It is, of course, a personal preference, but I use it, and I recommend everyone use it. Most RV owners manuals recommend it be used. I want to make sure everything has liquified, and that there is NO odor... inside or out. How does a septic tank function ? A chemical reaction liquifes waste and eliminates the odor. A properly working septic system has NO odor. So, how does one start that chemical reaction ? By adding an enzyme. The system is large enough that the enzyme perpetuates. So, how does one accomplish the same thing in an RV ? By adding an enzyme ! It is smaller than a home septic system, of course, so the enzyme won't continue growing... thus the need to add it every time you dump. So yes, a black tank does in fact function as a septic tank, just on a smaller scale. ALWAYS use a digester, not a deodorant... and make sure it's environmentally friendly, not containing formaldehyde. Just my .02 here though... take from it what you will.
If you have half a tank of sewage and drive home I guarantee everthing will be liquified. Enzymes serve no purpose except screw up the environment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Love this thread
Us Aussies use the rolling pin but for a completely different reason
We have HUGE worms here that we put in our black tanks
They munch away at our excrement and liquefy it
Unfortunately we have not been able to coral the worms before dumping so some escape and join the rest of the microbes in the sewer system
Works great
We purchase new worms from the " giant worm factory"
Now the rolling pin we keep near the pedestal
If worms come up from the black tank seeking to get closer to the action we hammer the little buggers with the rolling pin - beating them into submission

I write this only because there are multiple threads on waste and this should provide a definitive answer

Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Mr Beautie...I am totally confused....help me understand how the enzymes in Rid-X or Happy Camper or any of the others ruin the environment? I thought they were far better than using harsh chemicals ?

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeautie View Post
If you have half a tank of sewage and drive home I guarantee everthing will be liquified. Enzymes serve no purpose except screw up the environment.
Please tell me you're joking ? How do you think a septic system works ? If you add a chemical with formaldehyde in it, then yes, it is harmful. I'm not aware of anyone even producing it anymore.I suggest you read up on enzymes. They are environmentally friendly, naturally occurring and 100% non-toxic. If enzymes were harmful to the environment, I suggest we call for a ban on making bread and beer. I honestly wonder where some people get their information.........
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think he was kidding....?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #34

After having disgusting crap still in the tank after dumping, a couple of years ago we started tilting the rv so that It has a sharper degree of dump power! It always is slick and clean after dumping now and sensors read empty! Also, I use the happy stuff too.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Black Water problem

Ditto on Steved44 says. Just happened to me. The ice did the trick and I cleaned out tank with the wand he says. Works great. Best thing is to always use plenty of water when you flush.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #36

My grey always showed 2/3 and the black empty, when they were both empty. I swapped the leads at the tank. No change. I determined it was a defective Quad Comparator integrated circuit on the display board. Don't know why or where I got it, but I had one just like it in my spare electronics bin. Replaced it and all is good.

You can buy replacement displays. Look for the brand and model number on the display board and Google it or check Ebay.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Hey Mr Beautie...I am totally confused....help me understand how the enzymes in Rid-X or Happy Camper or any of the others ruin the environment? I thought they were far better than using harsh chemicals ? Dont use any chemicals.

Some enzymes actually digest and trap oils and can not release the oils from the water, any chemical or enzyme is bad for the enviroment. The water on this planet is the same water recycled over and over again. There's the same amount of water on this planet as there was a million years ago it's just redistributed in different locations and get's much dirtier as time goes on. more info see septic.com on enzyme efficiency or lack of.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Please tell me you're joking ? How do you think a septic system works ? If you add a chemical with formaldehyde in it, then yes, it is harmful. I'm not aware of anyone even producing it anymore.I suggest you read up on enzymes. They are environmentally friendly, naturally occurring and 100% non-toxic. If enzymes were harmful to the environment, I suggest we call for a ban on making bread and beer. I honestly wonder where some people get their information.........
I happen to be the chief plumbing gas, and private sewage inspector in these parts and have extensive training regarding septic fields and biodegeneration, what are your qualifacations?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing View Post
After having disgusting crap still in the tank after dumping, a couple of years ago we started tilting the rv so that It has a sharper degree of dump power! It always is slick and clean after dumping now and sensors read empty! Also, I use the happy stuff too.
The second time I took my new to me MH out, I filled the tanks way too soon. The next time I dumped, I raised the front wheels off the ground and got ~5 more gallons out of each tank.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
As was mentioned, the level displays for black tanks are notoriously wrong. I just track the grey tank level, level indicator works, and when it gets to about 2/3-3/4 I know it's time to dump both. The other thing that works for me on occasion is using a cleaning wand. It is inserted into the toilet and sprays the walls of the tank. That will make my indicator work for a while.
Yep, this true! We have a sanicon system with tank sprayer, also use the CW wand. Have tried the ice trick to no avail. Just ordered Happy Camper as suggested by Lincoln, hope it works. The reviews were good and they will refund your money if it does not work. So what the heck

When we use the tank sprayer in conjunction with the wand this usually works. By that I mean the tank is empty and sensors read empty, most of the time but when adding a gallon of water with enzyme the sensors then read 2/3. So seems everyone has a similar experience! Just know the dreaded black hole is empty does not stink and forget the sensor
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeautie View Post
Some enzymes actually digest and trap oils and can not release the oils from the water, any chemical or enzyme is bad for the environment. The water on this planet is the same water recycled over and over again. There's the same amount of water on this planet as there was a million years ago it's just redistributed in different locations and get's much dirtier as time goes on. more info see septic.com on enzyme efficiency or lack of.
Yup, you are correct. They trap all of the bad stuff that many of us inconsiderate humans carelessly throw down the drain without thinking about what it might do to the septic/sewer systems or the environment.

That's why they are so popular and all of them will remove millions of dollars from our wallets and place it in theirs.

Considering that the RV holding tank is simply a tank and not a full blown septic system, people who own RV's are faced with entirely different problems than home owners with septic systems.

There are RV chemicals that simply attempt to cover up the odors and there are products which will actually work to eliminate the odors and dissolve the solids into a slurry. Rid-X is just one of them.

The amount of RV owners in this country is minimal as compared to the millions of home owners who own either a septic systems or sewer connection who throw millions of tons of trash and bad chemicals into our environment without thinking about where or what it is ultimately going to do to our environment.

Once you are able to change everyone in this country & world to actually CARE about our environment, there will be less need to provide "tools" to treat what inconsiderate humans often do to our environment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

So these enzymes, like the Rid-X and Happy Camper, they are bad for the environment is what I am reading? To me they have to be better than chemicals? Why is it that I had in my mind natural enzymes didn't harm the environment? It has to be better than Clorox Bleach and Pine Sol when dumping into a community septic system? Or not?

Tags
tank, water