Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Water, water, water. That's all that is needed.

If you have odor in the coach then there is a problem with seals/traps. And notice I didn't say black tank odor - the grey can smell as bad/worse. So you need to figure out what seal/trap is dried out/not working correctly and get that fixed. Also agree that the rotating vanes work great to keep air moving up and out of tanks - we have them on both tanks. Got when we were having problem with the grey tank and the problem was not a tight fit where the washer/dryer discharge tube went into the great tank. Once we took care of that, problem solved.

Barb
This is not always the case, Barb. Some designs just don't vent as freely as others so when the toilet is flushed odors come in. There can be vent location problems and other reasons for tank odors getting into the living quarters when the seals are all working correctly.

Using the odor preventative I suggest above is a good practice that works and is safe for septics at RV parks. Many of the commercial tank treatments contain chemicals that harm septic systems.

We are fulltimers. Of all the treatments I have tried this is the one that works the best. As far as using lots of water is concerned, this is not always possible. Dry camping required conservation. Keeping active bugs in your tanks will help when dump time comes.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #16

I had to replace seals in the toilet to prevent black tank smell which was coming back thru the toilet itself.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I had to replace seals in the toilet to prevent black tank smell which was coming back thru the toilet itself.
Been there, done that.

Unfortunately this is not always the case. Our coach is had a bad odor from the toilet when we bought it in May. We started treating the tank, as I have described above, and the odor moved out after about the second tank flush. If it works, do it.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
"Happy Camper" is supposed to be the best.
Not just "supposed to be", it IS the best!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
If you feel good spending $$ for things you don't need, then go ahead. Momentary whiffs when flushing are just that: momentary. Make sure you don't run vent fans until after you have flushed and put the lid down on the toilet. If you are getting odors after flushing and closing the lid, you have a seal problem.

But again, if you want to spend money on something you don't need go ahead. After 7 years of fulltiming I see no need to waste money.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Almost every time we've had "Sewer Smell" in the RV, it was because we had not run the wash machine in so long that the water in the drain traps had evaporated. Draw a little water in the washer, then set it to spin and problem fixed.

Now, it is possible you can get odors from a defective toilet seal, but then the water draining out of the toilet bowl is an indicator there is a problem.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a bad flange seal. I did not realized until. Leaning the bathroom one day, and the carpet was wet around the base. I investigated further, and found the carpet was also wet around the has of the riser. I decided to rip out everything because the parts to redo the 13 year old toilet were almost as much as a new one.

I tipped out everything, found the wood on the riser was wet. I washed and bleached it, let it dry, put on a couple coats of kilz primer. Put down some vinyl tile, put in a new toilet, the whole place smells better now. By the way, all we use is about 1&1/2 cups of Calgon powder with 2 gallons of hot water.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use 1 cup of cheap liquid laundry detergent and 1 cup of cheap automatic dishwasher detergent from the $.99 only store in each tank. Never have any odors. First time I used them could see a lot of scale flaked off the walls of the tanks. Still see a little each time the tanks are drained.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We are fulltimers. When at Winnebago in Forest City the tech who worked on our coach learned of using a cheap enzyme based dishwashing power from one of his other customers. We continued the practice on this coach. Originally it was to get the sensors to work correctly, which it did from time to time. (Tank had too much old "stuff" and needed a more intrusive cleaning.) Now we are simply maintaining this tank as the unit is new to us and working fine. We had a odor when we first took possession in May. No more since we started this process. Cost is about a buck or so a month.

Our trails are happy and odor free! Happy trails to you.
Rick
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
We use 1 cup of cheap liquid laundry detergent and 1 cup of cheap automatic dishwasher detergent from the $.99 only store in each tank. Never have any odors. First time I used them could see a lot of scale flaked off the walls of the tanks. Still see a little each time the tanks are drained.

Chuck
Forgot to mention, since we started using the above my tank level indicators always read correct. Never did before.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Same idea, Chuck. Just use baking soda to sweeten things up and don't use the laundry detergent. I can see where the laundry power is a great idea to boost the cleaning abilities with the dishwasher power. In any case, a sweet smell is the smell of success! Right?

Happy trails and many more,
Rick
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #26

I've read many have had success with using this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3839189615.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	49494  
Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Same idea, Chuck. Just use baking soda to sweeten things up and don't use the laundry detergent. I can see where the laundry power is a great idea to boost the cleaning abilities with the dishwasher power. In any case, a sweet smell is the smell of success! Right?

Happy trails and many more,
Rick
Thank Rick, I'll try the baking soda next time.

Chuck
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #28

Water is all that is required, and there will be no offending smell with the exception of having put high bleach content in the tank, thus destroying the natural process.

Ed

Tags
smell, tank, water