Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Water is all that is required, and there will be no offending smell with the exception of having put high bleach content in the tank, thus destroying the natural process.

Ed
That is true, especially if you have a tank flushing system and flush the tank till it runs clear. The main reason for me using the detergents is to keep the level probes clean. Without them my tanks would never show the correct level. With them, when they are empty the indicator always show empty. I can hold my toilet valve open and never get any odor in the coach.

Chuck

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Thank Rick, I'll try the baking soda next time.

Chuck
Your welcome! You must be great to camp next to. Your friendly.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Water is all that is required, and there will be no offending smell with the exception of having put high bleach content in the tank, thus destroying the natural process.

Ed
Great idea Ed if you don't think the septic field of the campground is of any value. Just think what the campgrounds would be paying for septic services if we all used heavy bleach washes in our tanks?

I like my idea better.
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Your welcome! You must be great to camp next to. Your friendly.
I generally am. However, I am kinda stand offest until I get to know someone. So at first I appear to be unfriendly.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I've read many have had success with using this.
I guess. But isn't the simple venture vane on the roof just as good, easer to install and cheaper?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I generally am. However, I am kinda stand offest until I get to know someone. So at first I appear to be unfriendly.

Chuck
Does Teri agree?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #35

Quote:
I guess. But isn't the simple venture vane on the roof just as good, easer to install and cheaper?
The Venturi vane does nothing if the air is calm. The fan always works.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Does Teri agree?
Yes she does, she's use to me after being married 46 years.

Chuck
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Yes she does, she's use to me after being married 46 years.

Chuck
True love.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The Venturi vane does nothing if the air is calm. The fan always works.
Won't smell either. No adverse pressure.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He asked about the black tank and a lot of answers are discussing the gray tank. We use Odorless brand and it works great in the black tank.

Kne
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
After trying various methods and products, I have settled on RV-Digestit. It is enzyme based, breaks down the solids(including good TP), eliminates odors, and keeps my sensors clean. Is also a plus for the septic system.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Water, water, water. That's all that is needed. If you have odor in the coach then there is a problem with seals/traps. And notice I didn't say black tank odor - the grey can smell as bad/worse. So you need to figure out what seal/trap is dried out/not working correctly and get that fixed. Also agree that the rotating vanes work great to keep air moving up and out of tanks - we have them on both tanks. Got when we were having problem with the grey tank and the problem was not a tight fit where the washer/dryer discharge tube went into the great tank. Once we took care of that, problem solved. Barb
I agree, water, water, water. I've tried all sorts of methods thought the years and the best is water. Dump and spray out the tank then add water. Also, when leaving a camp site or if dry camping, dump, rinse, add water and let the drive home agitate / clean tank, then when near home, dump again. No issues. You can still add what treatment you like, just also add water.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd503 View Post
After trying various methods and products, I have settled on RV-Digestit. It is enzyme based, breaks down the solids(including good TP), eliminates odors, and keeps my sensors clean. Is also a plus for the septic system.
My hat is off to you! Your post indicates that you have thought this problem through and worked not only to solve it but to be considerate of the owners property you use.

Tags
smell, tank, water