Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What kind should be used in an RV? I use the same 2 ply from Sam's that I use in my house.
Here is a long version on the subject...

Camp 1: It's a Holding Tank
If you are going to just use smelly stuff, deodorizer or something formaldehyde based (kills everything, including yeast) then you should probably use RV TP, or least the kind that say OK for sepctic tanks. When using these kinds of products, there is NO bacterial action (or very little) that will break down solids. If you get a lot of solids in your tank, you don't use much water and the folks using it, use a lot of TP, you're going to get clogs when you dump. The folks using these products use LOTS of water to prevent clogs.

Camp 2: It's a Septic Tank
This group uses only added bacteria, such as Rid-X (or other bacteria based products). The right kind of bacteria with sufficient amounts will break down all organic solids, such as turds and TP (not the occasional beer can however). With the proper bacterial action, in just one just day, there will be nothing in there but liquid. One reason why you don't leave your sewer valve open at a park.... You don't want to dump your tank until it is near full. This allows the little chompers to do their thing. Now, Camp 1 does this also, but for different reasons. They wait to dump because their waste and TP is mostly still solid, but they have used LOTS of water, so that assists in forcing it out the pipe as well as keeps the solids a bit more separated for a better flow. Camp 2 is always safe to use "Septic Tank safe" TP....which is much easier on the body than RV TP.

I mentioned this earlier, but here is a better link that explains the product better. Unique RV Digest-It - Unique Distributing

[Soap Box: On]
I use to use Rid-X, (or whatever I could get while gone) and it works good. I think this works better and it's more convenient as it's in a re-seal-able bottle and it's still cheap at 56 cents a tank. DW refuses to use anything but 5000 ply super duper TP. When I dump now, it 's 100% liquid, no solids at all. I use in my grey water tank too, now both tank level indicators work perfectly every time.
[Soap Box: Off]

John...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #16

I used Sam's Club TP in my 5er for 11 years with no problem and use it in my MH now.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #17

Use a biological digestant, I use them at work and used it at home one time. It works in a couple days and breaks down solids.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First educate said girls.. But I assume you are doing that. (No suggestion as to how)

Now, as to the toilet, Is it the tank or the drop pipe? If the pipe. ye old plunger.

If it is the tank, then if you have a fairly straight shot down the throat the Valterra Master Blaster and feed it lots and lots of water under pressure. IF you can't use that one then the RV-Twister is another tank wand.. But if all else fails, Lots and Lots of water,, Fill, dump, fill dump fill dump fill dump and keep on doing it till you acheive joy.

NOTE on the master blaster.. The "Nose" on that thing (the water jet) sticks out and to me looks like the first time you use it you will likely break it.

before I ever say one I made my own, 1/2 inch PVC, hose adapter on one end cap the other, Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the side of the cap (or about 1/4 inch, exact size not critical) and .. Let it shoot,, I recommend drilling in line with either the printed text or the blue line on the pipe so you can "AIM" at the sensor wall, but you will move the want up and down, turn right and left, with full city pressure it will blast the paper apart.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What kind should be used in an RV? I use the same 2 ply from Sam's that I use in my house.
Put a square in a mason jar with a cup of water, close the lid and shake for 30 seconds, if it breaks up it's good to go.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #20

We use Unique, have for about ten years. Always have been happy with results, double up dose in 90 degree weather to help avoid smells. Normal use is 2 oz. per 40 gal. tank capacity. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #21

Has anyone tried pressure washing the inside of the tank?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte
Has anyone tried pressure washing the inside of the tank?
No. What is the reason you're asking?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #23

I think with pressure washing, you have a greater chance of it ricocheting right back at you.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Ahhh!!! Never! Always use the marine or rv grade toilet paper. You can get it from Walmart. It IS more expensive than regular paper, but it is well worth the price as it is designed to rapidly dissolve. Also always use a chemical in your toilet (we use campi-chem also available at Wal Mart) to help dissolve the contents. If it wasn't the granddaughters, it might eventually have been someone else!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #25

Oh, the Hi $ RV kind that you have to use twice as much to keep your finger from going through?

After using Sam's Club 2 ply since before 1995, with never a clog, I guess I will have to change my evil ways.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Me too I guess. I haven't used the high $ RV TP since I ran out of the free roll I got with my first RV. I believe in the mason jar shake test.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #27

I actually bought a 4 pack of RV TP, but ended up throwing away three rolls. Hey, give me a break, I was new to RVing and didn't know I was being gouged.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I actually bought a 4 pack of RV TP, but ended up throwing away three rolls. Hey, give me a break, I was new to RVing and didn't know I was being gouged.
You weren't being gouged. The TP manufacturer pays extra labor to get the TP sheets that thin. Someone at the factory has to take real TP and strip the plys apart then re-roll it.

Tags
tank, water