Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #57

I read the title and thought ‘no thx’ but then I looked at the picture and I kinda like it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #58

The black wheels look good on the OP’s coach. The dark paint scheme, particularly the black at the rear wheels, is what makes it work.

Of course if the interior is the typical chrome, gold, mirrors, curvy ceiling soffits and color changing LED’s, it might be best to continue the theme with shiny wheels.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Randy,

Well, I've been polishing aluminum for decades. I started out waaaaaaaay back in '70 when I bought my first Norton 750 Commando. Unlike Jap bikes, Norton didn't coat their wheels/engine cases/many parts on the bike, with some form of clear coat so, that meant they started to loose luster after some time. So, I learned about polishing then.

Ok, skip forward about 49 years or so. I've used every kind of aluminum polish, paste, liquid, rouge and powder that's out there. I've probably got a half dozen types now sitting in my cabinet in the garage. What you're looking at in the photos was a bit work to get them like that. I removed each wheel and then went to work on it with various media to bring it up to what you see. The final product that to me, does the best job for final finish is Mothers. Mothers is not an aggressive polish. While it will help to clean things up if a wheel is not aged but, is in fair shape, it's best application is when the wheel (or any aluminum) is first prepared with more aggressive rouges and pastes.

Once the wheel is prepped, it's now ready for Mothers. And, I've used a "Power Ball", tightly sewn wool pads, and by hand for years. For those wheels you see in the pics, that was all done by hand. Yep, my fingers do get a bit on the tired side for sure. But, I'm retired and, it's a hobby. Once a set of wheels is polished to what you see in the pics, they don't get tarnished very easily. I usually touch them up about once to twice a year, depending my mood and, how I think they look at the time.

Well Sir,

Just because you don't feel the need or want to take a bit of pride in your wheels, doesn't mean the rest of us don't. Obviously anyone can do or, not do whatever pleases them on their coach, it's theirs. Yeah, as explained above, it took a bit of time for me to get those to look like that. But, I get comments on them EVERY SINGLE TIME WE CAMP in spots all over the U.S. I don't ask folks to look at my wheels, they just walk by and see them and make comments.

And, "Not peacocking", whatever that means, it's really not work and or being anal or any other description. To me, it's pride and, well, it's kind-a fun to make them shine. And we do RELAX in our RV, many months of the year as we travel. This is a choice thing, We all do what we choose makes us happy.

Scott

Peacocking means “Hey look at me” the same thing a peacock does when he struts or fans his feathers.

If it’s a hobby good for you, everyone needs a hobby. Me I choose to hunt, and fish. To each his own.
Shmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
To each his own, and I would not disparage it either way ....
Mom saying - "If you can't say something nice...."

But wheels and tires can make or break cars, trucks, etc... so why not rv's ?

Just a very big outlay of $'s and time to replace/paint/ even plastidip for cosmetic purposes - meanwhile, I've got some maintenance/repair to do on the rest of the coach !

I mean look at our jeep the wife called wimpy with stock wheels - one time I said Yes dear !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Before.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	237144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlington-20150610-01104.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	237145  

Old 03-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #61

Hideous
Old 03-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #62

Black rims on a class A

Funny you should post this as I saw my first set yesterday.

My opinion was they made the coach look cheap and the wheels and rims like a cars cheap spare.

I’ll stick to polished Aluminum
DrRuss333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #63

Nope. Saw my first set yesterday. I’ll stick to polished aluminum. They may look better clean but after a trip just nasty
DrRuss333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That reminds me of an older car going down the road with all temporary spare tires on the ground.
A neighbor has a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with black rims, it looks cheap and unfinished to me.
Exactly my thoughts. What's even worse is those who simply paint their own wheels flat black. Why bother to have nice wheels? It will be interesting to see how long the black wheel fad lasts.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #65

Haven’t seen a vehicle yet that looks good with black wheels. My opinion. Seems those driving black wheeled cars are more aggressive. Again, no data just personal observation. I wonder if insurance companies track.

Have fun.
RoadRohrers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
I was surfing the web and ran across a set of Black Alcoa wheels. I think they are geared towards the over the road 18 wheeler market but wondering if anyone has seen a set on a motorhome.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/22-...l-hub-piloted/

I did a quick photo mock up of my bus with the wheels colored in. Thoughts?

Attachment 236634Attachment 236635
I have seen the black wheels a few times on custom super C. Dynamax has one for sell with black wheels and other custom accessories.
Ktaylorr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #67

Not a fan of WW or OWL tires. Servicability is far and away #1 for me.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
I was surfing the web and ran across a set of Black Alcoa wheels. I think they are geared towards the over the road 18 wheeler market but wondering if anyone has seen a set on a motorhome.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/22-...l-hub-piloted/

I did a quick photo mock up of my bus with the wheels colored in. Thoughts?

Attachment 236634Attachment 236635
Black wheels on a race car, blacked out high-performance street car, or a blinged out 22" wheel on a jacked up car in the hood might be OK. BUT, they are butt ugly on a Class A. The suggestion about trying it with the plasti-dip spray is a good suggestion as it is reversible. Black rims on some trucks, cars,
look perfect and they add to the overall appearance. The 2nd picture with the black rims? First thought is "what are the black wheels doing on the good looking coach?" Just an opinion. If you like it then do it and who cares what other people think. Who knows, might be the start of a new trend.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #69

Polished aluminium wheels in the summer and black steel wheels in the winter for my snow tires.
BUGNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #70

IMHO, the proportions of the wheel area to the coach area are wrong for Black.
stever88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a