Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Blaine Wa. Border crossing

We just purchased a Tiffin 43 QGP RV and are planing to visit Washington State. The new kiosks at the Blaine border crossing are very narrow whith curved approaches. Any suggestions about which crossing or lane we should use? Can we use the "bus" lane at the truck crossing? We have Nexus cards, can we use the Nexus lane at Peace Arch, it appears to be a straight shot through as opposed to the curved entrances.Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It's not just your RV. I have a Beaver 40' and it was a "tight squeeze" at Blaine. Can't answer on your other suggestion, someone else will have to chime in.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Have not run our 40' Ventana thru the border yet, but cross frequently by car. I would avoid the Truck Crossing ( Pacific Hwy ). You are not supposed to use the " Bus " lanes or truck lanes. Staying to the left side gives you a pretty straight run to the border, but after you exit US customs, they have barriers everywhere. I have seen a couple of Class A MH stopped waiting for US customs to move barricades. Access to the Nexus lane at Pacific Hwy is terrible for a large vehicle.

I would try the Nexus lanes at Peace Arch. They are always to the right hand side as you approach from Canada. Once thru, its a windy, but doable route back onto I5
Same for returning to Canada. The Nexus lanes at Peace Arch are easier to approach.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Been through both Sumas and Abbotsford with no troubles.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would avoid PacHwy/Blaine as well.
Borderlineups.com
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #6

You can go to the Truck crossing that is about a half mile east of the Blane crossing.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We now go to the Aldergrove /Lynden crossing. You can use the truck lane there and it is easy to get through. Usually not the line ups either.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #8

Avoid the truck crossing!!!! I used truck crossing also called Pac hwy once had a near impossible time getting my 39' plus toad through. Peace Arch is very good especially if u have Nexus.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your not allowed to go thru the truck lanes at the Pacific truck crossing ?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
The first and last time I tried using the truck lanes, you would have thought I was a kidnapper/rapist/arsonist/terrorist/bank robber/drug dealer.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The first and last time I tried using the truck lanes, you would have thought I was a kidnapper/rapist/arsonist/terrorist/bank robber/drug dealer.
Was that a Canadian truck crossing, or Mexican .

Don ....... Are you 'The Donald'
Old 07-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

We use the Blaine truck crossing (but not the truck lane), SR 539 or Suman depending on our Canadian destination. Our first time through the Blaine truck crossing with our 35' A, we scraped the right side bumper on the barrier. Although the lanes seem narrow, they really are wide enough for a semi. I just didn't have the lane position figured out yet.

Lesson learned: pick a lane that has a straight approach even if is not the fastest. Part of my problem was getting into the far right lane that did not have a straight approach.

Also, use your passenger as a spotter if you can. There are lots of hazards like barriers and post that you can get through easily if you are careful.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM   #13

On our first (and, so far, only) south bound border crossing with our 40' coach and towed, I was afraid I might have difficulty making the turns if I used the Nexus lane at Peace Arch. So I choose the furthest left lane of the non-Nexus vehicles and it was basically a straight shot into the exit road. It took a lot longer than using the Nexus lane but we felt the reduced stress was worth the wait. While I am now more familiar with handling our rig, I probably will do the same next time we go over.

Coming back into Canada, there are no tight curves on the Nexus lane but we found the lane leading up to the Nexus booth is quite narrow.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #14

That crossing in addition to being narrow . The heighth worried us as we have the Thor Outlaw. We had less than 6 inches IF their calculations were correct. YIKES