Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bleach on EPDM roof?

I have seen this a few times in older posts but have a question. Manufacterers say diluted bleach is ok for removing stains from rubber roofs. If you have used bleach on the roof were there any problems with the bleach contacting the coach sidewalls and awning?

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never really noticed it affecting the awning but the sidewalls, well yes. Unless you have someone rinsing down the sidewalls as you wash the roof and rinse it will streak the sidewalls especially if it dries quickly. I've really never used strait bleach when we had the EDPM roof but the streaking would be bad enough just from the bleach in the cleanser we used to clean the roof. Keeps you in shape though as now you need to wax the coach.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbounder
I have seen this a few times in older posts but have a question. Manufacterers say diluted bleach is ok for removing stains from rubber roofs. If you have used bleach on the roof were there any problems with the bleach contacting the coach sidewalls and awning?
Are you sure it's a EPDM? My 08 Bounder is TPO and the mfg recommends Murphy oil soap and nothing else.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

Are you sure it's a EPDM? My 08 Bounder is TPO and the mfg recommends Murphy oil soap and nothing else.
Here's an article that might help. http://www.mydrv.net/roof_maintenance.htm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about bleach, I would have a ground crew rinsing if using it.

I know that last Tuesday (I think) I Spic and Spanned my roof (or was it WED) and due to where I was parked the next day I was returning to the rig and was on a higher altitude. so I could look down on the roof.. BLINDING white it was. (Spic & Span 1: Was aptly named and 2: Did a good job)

I use auto wash compound on the rest of the house.

I'm also renaming it "Poetic" for the week so I can spend my time "Waxing Poetic" (bad joke, I know).

Next week, after church.. It's long drive time.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

I mix a bunch of spic n span with water in a 5 gallopn bucket with a little less than a gallon of swimming pool chlorine. I wet down the MH (top,sides,front back and all awnings) and then brush the mixture on the roof. Work about a 1/4 or the roof at a time, letting the mixture soak on there for 5 minutes or so, hose off and work to the next section. Never had any issues with awnings or sides getting stained.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Don't mean to be a smart alec,but smell your blk streak remover! Smells like good old Clorox doesen,t it ?? Just be sure to keep it rinsed off you RV walls before it drys!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
thanks for all the good info. I'm going to try Spic & Span with some Clorox added and see what happens. I just want the roof white again.

Red Raby..no smart alec intended, none taken. Thats a good call. I never have bought the black streak remover so dont know what it smells like. h

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote