Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bleaching Fresh Water Tank

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36 DL, I would like to bleach the fresh water tank.
I did this many times on my class C where I would just pour it in the tank.
I do not see anyplace to pour it in the class A.
Do you
mix it up in a gallon of water then use the by pass system as if you were winterizing it so it sucks it into the lines? Still would not seem to be drawn into the tank only in the lines. Sorry to be such an airhead on this one.
charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

You could, using a funnel, pour the bleach down the hose then connect your hose to the fresh water fill (making sure not to spill the bleach out of course).

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It just seems to me that it has to be simpler then that.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a water filter canister that I use. What I do is pour the solution into the canister, turn it onto tank fill, turn the water on and the bleach solution enters the tank. There really is only two ways to do it, the bleach in the hose or the bleach in a filter canister. There is no direct opening to the fresh water tanks in Class A's that I have seen.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Yep the hose trick is the easiest way. I don't use more than a 1/4 of a cup for my 40 gallon fresh tank. Let it set for a day or so and flush like crazy.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

I use one of these hand pumps. The bleach doesn't seem to harm it in any way and I've used the same one for many years. If you're concerned about the concentration just mix it with water in a bucket first. The hose idea works too but it's kinda a PITA to do. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-pump-kit/4411
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

I used the hose fill method - just remember to wear gloves and use a funnel - oh, the hose needs to be empty AND connected to the faucet first - ask me how I know
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use bleach tablet ,same one I have for my well system holding tank
scottmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #9

I have a city water inlet hose connection, I hook the empty hose up to the RV first, hold it up eye level, pour in the bleach, connect the hose up to the spigot, and fill the tank. If you see a guy walking around the campground with white spots down the front of his T-shirt, it might be me.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #10

Yup--I fill the water hose with about a cup of bleach for 100 gals--might be a bit much but seems to work ok. Put some more water in the tank then start the coach and alternate from reverse to drive with a heavy foot on/off the brake to slosh the water in the tank. Let it set if you want but I rinse immediately with a couple of fresh water "slosh" cycles--see above. Rarely notice any bleach smell/taste.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #11

I watched this video and did mine. Only difference for me was I used Chlorine pool shock instead of bleach. Only takes a tablespoon or two instead of all that bleach.

binspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went to Lowe's and purchased a water filter, water pressure regulator and water pressure gauge which I use on all fresh water before it enters the coach.

When I want to sanitize the tank I remove the filter, add the bleach to the canister and then turn on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00330.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	43215  
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone, looks like the bleach in the hose is the method of choice.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I just did the filter housing trick last week. Worked like a champ. I shut the water heater down. No need to heat the bleach just to dump it. Three cups of bleach in the canister, filled the water storage tank, ran the pump and drained all the faucets till I smelt the bleach. I waited an hour then dumped the tank and ran fresh water through the system with the cartridge back in the canister.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water