Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

Bleeding Down Level Jacks

I have a 2005 George Town RV. If it sits for 4-5 days the jacks will bleed down about 2 inches. Is there a repair kit for these are do I have to replace them. Also can they bleed down while traveling down the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have the HWH jacks (and I don't know), the problem can be in the solenoids which are fairly easy to replace. Call HWH and they can help you but have patience because it can take some time to get a call back. After so many cycles those solenoids can become stuck open or closed. Jacks aren't cheap and it makes sense to replace those first. Also check your fluid levels. That could be the problem and is easy to fix.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Who is WHW?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
HWH is the manufacturer of hydraulic jacks for many models of motorhomes. You can go online, google HWH jacks and see more information about them. There are other manufacturers like Bigfoot jacks but HWH is by far the most prevalent brand.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

Do your jacks have retracting springs? They won't come down while traveling if they do. Check on the jack control panel for the manufacturer and perhaps the model number.

Welcome to HWH Corporation

Motorhome Leveling Systems

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #6

Since you have a 2005 Georgetown, you may have a Lippert system (Do you have a control panel with "LCI" on it?) with a hydraulic pump/reservoir/manifold unit located in one of your bays. If so you will have the solenoids mounted on the manifold. There would be a solenoid for each jack, and one for each hydraulic slide. The pump is usually bidirectional so everything can move in both directions. If you see no leaks on any hoses, then I would first try to bleed any air out of the system (Lippert website has procedure). If this does not cure the problem, I would retract all jacks, block them up to prevent the downward drift, and see if this causes one of the slides to creep out. If this is the case, your jacks are probably ok and the pump may not be holding pressure in that direction. This could be internal pump check valve orings, or possibly multiple solenoid valve orings. It does sound like the pressure is slowly falling, and since the jacks are vertical, they are the first to move.
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
interesting question. I hope someone with more knowledge adds to my post. I am a bit familiar with hydraulic systems just not the way they are hooked up in the RV. If all your jacks are coming down at once then the problem has to be a common return line leaking. I am not sure if HWH jacks have one common solenoid that when you retract the jacks it opens up to allow pressure to bleed from the jacks. If that is the case you probably have a leak within the solenoid allowing pressure to release. If your jacks are only coming down a 2 inches then staying there would sound like the leak is an O ring that can not hold back full pressure. I am not sure if you can get repair kits for solenoids but they are not that expensive to buy a new one. If all the jacks are going down that amount I would be totally amazed if it was a bad jack.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgreg View Post
Since you have a 2005 Georgetown, you may have a Lippert system (Do you have a control panel with "LCI" on it?) with a hydraulic pump/reservoir/manifold unit located in one of your bays. If so you will have the solenoids mounted on the manifold. There would be a solenoid for each jack, and one for each hydraulic slide. The pump is usually bidirectional so everything can move in both directions. If you see no leaks on any hoses, then I would first try to bleed any air out of the system (Lippert website has procedure). If this does not cure the problem, I would retract all jacks, block them up to prevent the downward drift, and see if this causes one of the slides to creep out. If this is the case, your jacks are probably ok and the pump may not be holding pressure in that direction. This could be internal pump check valve orings, or possibly multiple solenoid valve orings. It does sound like the pressure is slowly falling, and since the jacks are vertical, they are the first to move.
I am curious about your post and if you read what I wrote I do not know how they plumb the hydraulics in MH. Does the pump hold the pressure for the jacks when they are extended. I would have thought the pump just supplies pressure to the solenoids then when they are activated at that jack it allows the pressure to be applied to the jack. I would then think that the return lines are all tied to a solenoid with a restrictor that allows the pressure to be released from the jacks all at the same time and some dampening effect on the release. Would you please post more on how this is done in these motor homes.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

I think in this model motorhome the jacks are not spring return and they require hydraulic pressure to move down or up (dual acting cylinder). In many industrial hydraulic systems a "four way" solenoid and a unidirectional pump are used to reverse the flow. However, I think Lippert uses a bidirectional pump and a "two way" solenoid. In this system the pump runs in one direction to extend each cylinder and the solenoid holds pressure to each jack cylinder when the jacks are extended and under heavy load (i.e. the solenoid is between the pump and the top hose on each cylinder). When retracting the cylinders the pump runs in reverse and the solenoids actuate to allow flow but when fully retracted, you are relying on the pump check valve to hold the cylinders up. In other words, the solenoid is the holding device on the downstroke, but the pump is the holding device on the upstroke. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall this for some Forest River MHs. On this particular manifold there is also a flow divider valve (non solenoid) to equalize flow to two tandem cylinders used in large room slides and an isolator solenoid valve and I don't recall its function. This may be a moot discussion if this is not the system he has. I hope this doesn't muddy the waters.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #10

As more clarification (or muddification), I seem to recall the bidirectional pumps have what is called a "spool" or "shuttle" valve internally. I think this moves laterally one direction or the other depending upon pump direction. This happens internally and not under electrical control like a solenoid. This does the check valve function in some pumps. These valves have O-rings and can leak by. If you get pressure loss due to leakby when jacks are retracted, jacks with the least stiction will move downward.

Tags
jacks