Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Blinker-Brake Lights-1997 Bounder-, Help

I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder that my wife and are remodeling/rebuilding. While getting it road ready, I found that the brake lights don't come one, the hazards-emergency flashers, or blinkers don't work. I've checked all fo the fuses in the engine compartment and the fuses under the clam shell/instrument cluster on the drivers side and haven't found any blown fuses anywhere. I don't have the manuals that came with the coach to help me troubleshoot this issue. Can anyone point me to an inline fuse or breaker, or possibly a relay that could be causing this problem?

Thank you in advance,

CaptainK-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you by any chance checked to make sure the bulbs were all good. Sure wouldn't think that they all would be burned out but stranger things have happened. Also may want to check your bulb sockets themselves to make sure the bulbs are getting good electrical contact, sometimes a residue builds up in the sockets. May want to check turn signal and 4-way flashers too. It's a place to start. Good luck and keep us updated.

Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
From your description, sounds like the stop part of the circuit is out. (turn, stop, hazards all use the brighter of the two bulb filaments.

Do you have any voltage at the bulbs? Are both front and rear turn signal lights non-functioning?

On a 97 Discovery I once had, there is a diode that supplies power to the turn, and hazard lights. When it went bad we lost everything a lot like you.

So first check to see if you have any voltage at the stop bulbs, then check to see if you have any voltage at the turn signal switch. If you don't then maybe your diode burn out. I can send a electrical schematic for a 97 Discovery showing the diode in the circuit if you think the Bounder is wired the same.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
you might try changing the flasher unit. they are usually only a couple of dollars and quick and easy to change.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Have you checked to see if you have power at the brake light switch? Thinking that's where I would start...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Thank you all for the replies.

I've checkd the bulb sockets for power and I'm not getting any voltage to the sockets. It doesn't appear to be a corrosion problem in the sockets.

Bigd9- I'd be interested to see the schematics to see if I can locate the diode that's in the circuit to check it out.

Thanks again.
CaptainK-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Here is a copy of the electrical drawings for the 1997 Fleetwood Discovery. Note the diode located lower right quadrant in this drawing. The actual diode was located in my Discovery inside a wire bundle under the dash. Its on circuit #10058 or maybe its 1005D RED (hard to read the numbers ). If memory serves me, each wire is numbered inside the bundle. Others found this diode is slightly different locations under the dash. I started at the turn signal switch and worked my way down the steering shaft following the wire till I found it. The diode was inside a clear shrink tube and about the diameter of pencil. I went to Radio Shack and bought two 5 amp diodes and wired them in parallel.
Here is a link to a few comments about this. Please remember this is for a Discovery and I don't know if your Bounder is the same or not.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hazard Flashers Schematic.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	64463  

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote

bounder, brake, brake lights, lights