Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Denis,

The TST monitoring system is a good start. When cold, in the morning, being best before the sun hits any tire, you can check your pressures sitting in the cockpit. All tires on one axle should be close to reading the same. I would put new tires all the way around.

Having had three "zipper" blowouts on the right rear inner, I run my rear axle at the max cold psi stated on the sidewall. They will heat up during travel, sometimes as much as 25 psi above the cold temp. I don't think I will ever wear out these tires in the center of their thread before 7 years. I don't feel any harder or harsher ride than I felt before.
The problem on my rig is that my right rear is overloaded with a bedroom slideout, fresh and gray water tanks, a generator, batteries, inverter all favoring that right side. The road "crowns" also intensify the forces acting on the right rear side.

Oh, here's a picture of my last blowout- Almost 2 years ago .

Good luck on you upcoming trip-
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #16

I just had my second blow out on a 5 year old Goodyear G670. This happened just a few days after having them all inspected and pumped with 80 lbs of air just like Goodyear states on its web site. Thats it. They are all getting replaced towmorrow with another brand.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Denis,

The TST monitoring system is a good start. When cold, in the morning, being best before the sun hits any tire, you can check your pressures sitting in the cockpit. All tires on one axle should be close to reading the same. I would put new tires all the way around.

Having had three "zipper" blowouts on the right rear inner, I run my rear axle at the max cold psi stated on the sidewall. They will heat up during travel, sometimes as much as 25 psi above the cold temp. I don't think I will ever wear out these tires in the center of their thread before 7 years. I don't feel any harder or harsher ride than I felt before.
The problem on my rig is that my right rear is overloaded with a bedroom slideout, fresh and gray water tanks, a generator, batteries, inverter all favoring that right side. The road "crowns" also intensify the forces acting on the right rear side.

Oh, here's a picture of my last blowout- Almost 2 years ago .

Good luck on you upcoming trip-
Hmm, a Michelin. What say you, Tiff Inn?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I say I never said Michelins are perfect, just better than the others. They dominate in far too many areas of Motorsport and heavy duty usage to not be amongst the very best. I have a picture somewhere of my $950.00 Goodyear F1 'run flat' (2005 Corvette) that looks like your picture - caught a piece of 'shrapnel' from a flatbed at about 85 mph ... run flat probably saved my life and I think the F1 is one of the best performance tires on the market ... they just don't make a good MH tire (maybe they do now but I'm not willing to invest to find out). Tried them, traded them. We've had four coaches on Michelins, and one on Goodyears, but not for very long.
p.s. 'Max' states in that post you showed that he runs the tire at max. stated psi then acknowledges a 25 lb. increase for heat!? Where's all that pressure supposed to go, especially with all that weight he mentions sitting on it? No, no, adjust the weight and the pressure or go back to the factory and get it sorted out.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Correct tire pressure is very simple with this neat trick . . . . . . . . . . . Optimizing Tire Pressure
Another method that guarantees that your pressure is wrong!

Tire companies spend millions of $$ testing tires and publishing weight/pressure charts bot there is always someone who thinks they're smarter than the manufacturers.

Same with most manufacturers, they publish maintenance specs then people say, "Oh I don't follow that because the kid at the tire store said it was wrong and he should know, he just got out of high school and knows it all"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In all my years of driving I've had one blowout, a GoodYear on a Jeep. Normally I run Michelins on everything but I bought the Jeep used and GoodYears were on it.

Last Sept. I put six new Michelins on six new wheels (four alum and two steel) as the new front tires needed wider rims. Now I con go another 8½ years on these, like I did the last Michelins. Oh, by the way, the front tires were overloaded the entire 8½ years and I never had a problem with them.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Well, you certainly can't blame the tires at all!! Same wheel position, three blowouts and knowingly overloaded.
I'd be looking to go to a higher capacity tire, in fact that's what I did on the front of our MH. Went from a 275/70 to a 305/70, now I can use the full axle capacity of 14,600#'s rather than being limited to 13,200#'s.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
G670's 275/70/22.5 6 years 1 month old no problem yet.

I have had a RV since the mid 70's. Only flat tire or blow out in all those years.
Was 2 zipper blow outs with 235/80/22.5 XRV Michelin's, both were younger then my present G670's.

No more Michelin's will go on my MH. The G670's have another 4 years to go yet.
To prove they are worth using again.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't forget to check the date code on the sidewall. All RV tires must have this. Some are on the inside sidewall due to mounting direction, but it's there. I can't say how many already know this but many don't. I just met a man who bought 4 brand new tires that were already over a year old. I asked him if they gave him a 20% discount as an age allowance since there is already at least 20% of the life gone due to age.

Example: Four digit manufacture date code:

Week (2 digits) Year (2 digits)

(DOT 1207) 12th week of 2007
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Get a TPMS ASAP. I like the feeling of knowing my presures at all times. I have used the TST system for 2+ years and I love it. There are many good systems out there.Tires usually give you some warning before they blow.

Dan
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I just had my second blow out on a 5 year old Goodyear G670. This happened just a few days after having them all inspected and pumped with 80 lbs of air just like Goodyear states on its web site. Thats it. They are all getting replaced towmorrow with another brand.

EIGHTY POUNDS? What website says that? I'd call 80 lbs a FLAT on any size motorhome tire, and the bus wouldn't move until it was corrected.

The goodyears on the knight run at 102 front and 95 rear (275-70-22.5)
The Toyos on the ole pace arrow ran best at 115 lbs, coach was noticably more stable and better handling, those were 245-75-19.5 on an F53.

Nearly all motohome tire failures are caused buy underinflation, either from being ignored, or in fruitless attempts to produce a softer ride.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
EIGHTY POUNDS? What website says that? I'd call 80 lbs a FLAT on any size motorhome tire, and the bus wouldn't move until it was corrected.
The tag inside my Winne states that at maximum coach load, the tires are to be inflated to 80 psi, and that is what I run them at, maybe another 5 psi to compensate for differing outside temperatures. Don't think Winnebago would open themselves up for the liability of misstating recommended tire pressure.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Goodyear & Michelin make 16" tires for RV's that have a maxim of 80 PSI on their on line charts. I'm sure they are other tire manufactures that make the same. They are a lot of MH out there that use those tires. A lot of Class C and some A's.

Here is some of the websites you ask for. Look for PSI charts in their RV section.
Goodyear

Michelin

Also for my 34' four corner weight on my 23,000 lb MH.
Goodyear recommends 85 PSI on my G670 275/70/22.5 tires.
That is the lowest they recommend for that tire and 85 PSI carries more then any of my 4 corners. I carry 10 PSI extra in mine.

The 235/80/22.5 XRV Michelin's needed 95 PSI to carry the same weight when they were on it. Until they started to have those zipper blow outs.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Folks! Let's keep the conversation directed to the subject at hand and NOT involve personalities.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote