Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
On I75 I had a right front Michelin zipper blow out running 60-65 MPH.
I had watched the Michelin video previous sometime.
It was hard to do, but I did hit the go pedal when the loud bang happened. Stayed straight in my lane and then let it slow down. No steering problem at all. No damage to the MH.

May have also been helped by the Safe-T-Plus I had installed.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We just had a front right blowout in OK several months ago. This was on a '05 Winnebago Vectra 40FD. I had to drive a 1/4 mile or so because I was approaching a bridge and did not want to stop on it. I guided the rig to the breakdown lane when I could and gentilly applied the brakes to stop. The damage was about $17K and a month to fix.

If you blow a tire keep it for the insurance company. I did not know this and I let the service truck take it. But I hope you never have the experience.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Having experienced one blow out and one that I just caught in time, it's the incredible amount of really expensive damage that it does that amazed me.

It can literally cause thousands of dollars worth of damage - and with an older motorhome, it can damage virtually irreplaceable parts.

That's why I am so careful with my tires.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Had a rear inside dual blow on maybe our third trip on 95 pace arrow,scared the crap out of us but was able to get it to side of road safely.It did quite a bit of damage the casing ripped all of my ground wires off of chassis and threw them out into the highway and I lost several electrical circuits because of this.Had a spare on board and when I pulled it out it had no rim just a tire so we had to try to find a place to help us out.Luckily a NC state policeman stopped to see if we were ok and he knew someone to call and the guy got there in about an hour and fixed us up and got us back rolling.Made it home safely but spent a couple days pulling out breaker panel and tying those grounds back in and repairing the hole it ripped in top of fender well.The tires on the outside of the duals were new but the inside tires were dry rotted and being new to rving I did not know to check this when i bought it.we replaced both inside tires with new ones and felt much safer,if you are buying for first time check out those tires closely.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ditto on the Steer-Safe... For $400. I feel much safer.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
When I had the blowout it was just after coming off a long, ridiculously long rumble strip at the end of the turnpike. I knew that the tires were nearing the end of useful life but I think all would have been fine for a few more thousand miles. The tread separated from the body of the tire from the excessive flexing of the rumble strip. There was no warning or speed change. Just a sudden and continuous pounding that caused me to not want to break too hard. As we came upon smooth road the tire let go and scared my poor wife to near death. She was sitting over it!

We ended up trading the coach after the odometer failed some months later. Just too many problems looming in the rigs future for full-timing.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #21

Lots of good info here but two things come to mind about driving large Class As: 1] those who routinely "brag" about driving in excess of 70MPH are living on borrowed time--theirs and the poor SOBs in proximity; and 2] the video provides a viable strategy for handling a blow-out but only if A--you can remember to employ it and, B--the tire is in the rear and/or it continues to rotate. Quite often the tread only partically detacts from the carcass--end result here is extensive coach damage and the likelihood that the tread flap will eventually lodge against the inner fender and the wheel locks-up. At this point, all bets are off on whether you are able to maintain control. You may avoid the ditch but the chance of experiencing an immediate and violent lane change is likely. Eitherway--speed really does kill!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #22

Who do you know that brags about traveling in excess of 70mph in their motorhome?

The safety video works just as well for front tire blowouts and the carcase of a tire will NEVER lodge in such a way as to lock a wheel up - where on earth did you dream that up from?

Truck Tire Blowout - YouTube
Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

Answers--1] this forum and 2] selective use of the word "never" is always advisable.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote