Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Blown Circuit?

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Diesel Pusher.

I have a friend staying in it who ran a space heater and a coffee pot at the same time from the same outlet, and blew something, so that now half my plug outlets are out..

When I started looking at stuff, I only found one breaker for all the plug receptacles, but when I flipped it, it still didn't fix the problem. So I looked further.

It looks like there are two GFI outlets in the coach - one is working normally, as are the outlets that that outlet feeds. When I trip it, those outlets go out, but when I reset it, they come back on. These outlets went out when I flipped the circuit breaker off.

The other GFI outlet is in the bathroom, which seems to be tripped, and won't reset. It won't even "click" when I try to reset it. There are about 3 other outlets that aren't working either that I suspect feed off of that GFI.

So my questions:

Is it usual for all of the outlets in a coach to be on a single 20A circuit?

Would it be normal for that circuit to feed 2 separate GFI 'mini circuits' coming off of it?

Am I missing something?

I am wondering if the 10 year old GFI outlet tripped and is just worn out. I guess my next step would be to pull that outlet and check for power going to it, unless someone has another suggestion.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think your on the right track. Probably just worn out. If you have an inverter, I would check and make sure the breaker on the inverter isn't tripped.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I think your on the right track. Probably just worn out. If you have an inverter, I would check and make sure the breaker on the inverter isn't tripped.
X2. Check the inverter. Most inverters have a built-in transfer switch and the circuits have breakers on them. I would suspect that you have overloaded one of the circuit breakers on the inverter. On mine, there are two breakers that are mounted on the side of the inverter. I had the same symptoms that you are describing (not your coach model), and I had a service tech on the way before I figured out the problem. Fortunately, he didn't mind being cancelled. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

It was the breaker on the inverter. It's all working again.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

You got it fast!

Remember this....

The test button on the GFI tests the tripping device inside the unit.

It does this by connecting a resistor from hot to safety ground simulating shock.

If no power present it cannot test so failing to test USUALLY indicates a tripped breaker someplace.