Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #155

This thread reminds me of the song " The Road Goes on Forever "
Or, the Eveready battery that never dies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
11 pages and no reply from the OP. I guess he moved on.
Better thread discussions followed anyway. Good people here. I am learning to plan for a disaster like engine issues. I'd like to know the Best stories on good motors in RV, Trucks etc and the ones to avoid. Leaking RV are issues. Can deal with that and realize that there will be problems with RV trailer etc, but stuck with a inoperable vehicle is a much bigger problem.

I hope Dad of 3 is ok. Is there anything like a zone community of RV'ers that can help each other in need . Like a community AAA club?
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrec100 View Post
Better thread discussions followed anyway. Good people here. I am learning to plan for a disaster like engine issues. I'd like to know the Best stories on good motors in RV, Trucks etc and the ones to avoid. Leaking RV are issues. Can deal with that and realize that there will be problems with RV trailer etc, but stuck with a inoperable vehicle is a much bigger problem.

I hope Dad of 3 is ok. Is there anything like a zone community of RV'ers that can help each other in need . Like a community AAA club?
My DP is still in the shop at Cummins of Knoxville, with 108,000 miles.
They are telling me that my block has significant enough damage that they advise against a rebuild.
They say they will rebuild it, but no guarantee that I will make it back home...
Cummins says that a “tapper pin” broke inside cylinder #4, causing a push tube to break, and then the valve bridge. They say the debris inside the cylinder has caused too much damage to rebuild...??? I’m driving up Monday to view with my own eyes.
Cummins has given me a price for a factory small block and re-installing my external components and head. TOTAL PRICE $33,900 ... that’s not a typo!
Offered me a 2 year warranty.
I’m thinking of taking my chances on either a rebuild from a local diesel mechanic$8K, or buying a reman from Capital Reman in Denver for around $12K.
Any suggestions regarding this thread or advise moving forward is appreciated. For those replies about how long this thread is, please feel free to unsubscribe.
Hopefully those within the community can share like experiences and we can all benefit.
Thanks for reading or replying!
Dad of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:09 AM   #158

WOW, and wow. $33K I'd go for a remanufactured but check the reviews on the place doing the remanufacture. And its warranty. Holy for crying out loud.
jmrec100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #159

And why Trucking companies and Owner oporators are on a thin line financially all the time running 24/7 year round.

There isnt any free recreational RV ride or freight
Delivering.

RV sales persons never give full disclosure as to the true Liability associated with owning and maintaining $$$ wise a big rig chassis.
Hauling your home down the road.

Many ? If not most are manufactured
Very close to GVWR to begine with.
And we wonder ?
why the Box truck style Class C RV'S
Dont hande well and get squarely when passed by a semi ???

( Super Cs ) are on a Commercial Chassis.
Usually Rated to handle the weight and mass.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #160

I hope it works out for you Dad of three, I trust Cummings. First year with our coach 79,000 miles (2001) and we’ve invested $17,000 into ours. Cummings saved me 2,200 yesterday by offering me a used test inverter controller for my generator. I’m putting off what Cummings considers next year items, trans output seal , coolant reservoir, and hoses. I was tempted with the new part and warranty but it sounds like you have some options. Wish you luck.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #161

Hello Dadof3
Have you made a decision yet on getting your rig back on the road ?
Sounds like you had 3 viable options.

Thanks for updating us

Lowell
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #162

It is tough does not matter how you look at it. I probably would go out and look for a place where they sell rebuilt engines. But you have to be very careful with Cummins even though I read a lot of happy rver's with Cummins engine. But in the years of 1999-2000 was a problem with the dreaded 53 block Cummins engine built in Brazil. I believe it was a 5.9 engine and it had several problems from weak side on the block because they forgot to put some ribbing to give it more strength and were blowing up, plus I think they had a wrist pin issue. So you have to be very careful if you decide to go that route, but at the same time what choice do you have? I would probably install an engine either rebuilt or from a salvage parts place and get the coach running again and sell it.

I had bad experience with the 5.9 Cummins engine on a Dodge truck and the 53 block, but that is another story.

Good luck!
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #163

UPDATE! ... so our MH has been inside the shop at Cummins of Knoxville since the day they pulled it in to tear down my engine for diagnosis. Broke down on Saturday 10/27/19. Entered shop on 10/30/19.

I asked the Cummins shop foreman to send me an email in writing to assure me that my rig would remain inside their shop to avoid freezing temps (it has not been winterized since we broke down in route). Cummins wrote back and graciously agreed to my request. They gave me several days to look at different options. This was about the time that I reached out to you guys on this thread to search for any suggestions.

On Nov 18 I drove up to Cummins to sit down & go over details in writing.
NOTE that we had already accrued a bill for tear down & diagnosis of $5,700 just in shop labor hours! I got 2 quotes to have my rig towed back home (3 hour drive)... Both were around $2,200... So, if we brought our MH back home to have a local mechanic do the work we would have $8K involved with no repairs.

While meeting with the shop foreman, I gave them a proposal for a re-man from Capital Reman out of Denver, CO. This would cost $12,200 plus a $3,000 core charge, plus $600 shipping round trip. with a 1 year warranty through them (not Cummins)

Cummins then gave me a cheaper price! They came down over $4,500 and revised their warranty to a 3 year warranty to read as follows:
2YR 100K MILE WARRANTY ON ALL PARTS REPLACED DURING THE TIME OF THE OUT OF FRAME OVERHAUL, AT THE 3RD YEAR OR 100,001 MILES MARK WHICH EVER COMES FIRST MAJOR PARTS WILL BE COVERED TO 150K MILES.
THE KNOXVILLE BRANCH WILL COVER THE PRICE OF THE CUMMINS NOW WARRANTY.

I gave Cummins the go-ahead to begin repairs. I know my family really enjoys our rig otherwise, and we don't want to sell it. I wouldn't feel right selling it with a salvaged motor that we just band-aided together either.
So needless to say, we are currently scraping together as much as we can to get the job done right, AND have the peace of mind that Cummins did the repair with warranty. We hope to enjoy our now 15 year old Coach for a very long time. I sure hope so, since we have a repair that is costing me over 1/2 of what we paid for the rig just 7 months ago.

The parts have arrived, and Cummins has began our project. Should be ready for pick up around 12/12 if all goes well.

Will keep you all posted.
Thanks for reading, and to those who have reached out... many thanks!
Dad of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 AM   #164

Sounds like a plan. As someone else said before, it pays to slow down and carefully review your options. When rushed for time it’s easy to jump at the immediate option. I too negotiated with Cummings and it saved me some money. They will work with you. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #165

Great knowledgeable solid and friendly negotiating skills I see.
And you win because of it.
A rarity these days.
Congratulations .

To many go into negotiations convinced that Everybody in the world is out to screw them or steal from them.
So thus the Lawyers get involved and Nobody wins.

Thanks for the very positive Update.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #166

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad of 3 View Post
…..The parts have arrived, and Cummins has began our project. Should be ready for pick up around 12/12 if all goes well.

Will keep you all posted.
Thanks for reading, and to those who have reached out... many thanks!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
This may sound weird but you have actually helped me feel "better" about my upcoming used DP purchase. I've always known that in a "worst" case situation the bill could be in the 30-40k range. Actually following you work through this has helped me. Thanks and good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience.
This may sound weird but you have actually helped me feel "better" about my upcoming used DP purchase. I've always known that in a "worst" case situation the bill could be in the 30-40k range. Actually following you work through this has helped me. Thanks and good luck.
Considering they just paid half again as what the rv cost them, I don't get any good feeling from that. Anyone who is in the market for a 40 -50k DP approaching twenty years old doesn't want to hear its going to cost you 20k six months after you buy it. What else could go wrong with any rv that would cost more than 40k. The whole rv would have to self destruct at the same time. My personal opinion on the original OP, and the Dad one, is I would buy a good engine at a wreckers, and have it swapped out. There is no way Im going to invest 20plus k for an engine in a near 20 year old rv. You will never get your money back. These engines rarely break down to the point of total destruction. The odds of a second one doing it is rare. Rv wrecking yards have many DPs that have front end damage, and have been written off. The motor is at the rear, and has sustained no damage. I couldn't see an engine from a wreckers costing more than 5k. Any good mechanic could change out the engine for what Dad has spent getting his diagnosed, another 5k. I guess a good lesson here for someone with a suspected ruined engine is, don't spend 5 or 6 k to have the engine tore apart. Spend it on replacing the engine right off the bat. The mechanic knows by the sound of the engine something major inside has let go.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad of 3 View Post
(Edit)...
They are telling me that my block has significant enough damage that they advise against a rebuild.
They say they will rebuild it, but no guarantee that I will make it back home...
...They say the debris inside the cylinder has caused too much damage to rebuild...TOTAL PRICE $33,900 ... that’s not a typo!
Offered me a 2 year warranty.

First of all, congratulations to Dad of 3 on reaching a reasonable resolution to your problem. From the tone of your latest post, you sound as "pleased" as one could be given the catastrophe your engine suffered.

I followed this thread from the date of the original post and though I now believe the OP was a troll after all, good has come from all the responses and someone in real need, Dad of 3, received direct help/advice. That is something to celebrate.

Just one thing, Dad of 3, reflected in the edited post, above. Originally, Cummins claimed your block was "beyond repair" (stated in your initial post.) In the quoted post, Cummins claimed significant damage and advised against a rebuild, suggesting it might not make it home if they did, yet still offered a 2 year warranty if they did rebuild it. Now, they have offered to do a rebuild, reduce the cost, and warranty the engine for 3 years.

Let's forget about the motive behind the Cummins change of mind (because they really didn't,) and focus on your possible future exposure. Look at the warranty. It covers only parts replaced during the rebuild. What about the "significant damage" to the block and the "beyond repair" condition? What, if any, of that will be replaced, and if it isn't replaced, it's not covered under the warranty.

Have you asked Cummins exactly why they considered your engine "beyond repair?" I believe you should ask, not to accuse them of anything, but to be very clear as to what this warranty will protect. Remember, they are the ones who stated a rebuild may not even get you home. Note also that the extension into the third year covers "major parts." It would be wise to ask just what are those major parts.

I'm sorry to cast a cloud over your situation, but it's important that you realize that you have chosen the most risky option, as offered by Cummins itself, and the "comfort" of a warranty is, possibly, very questionable, at least without some further investigation.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown diesel engine