Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #1

Angry Blown Diesel Engine - HELP - Any suggestions??

We have a Class A motor-home (2000 Diesel Monaco Diplomat, 38 foot 5.8 Cummins engine #45892600), engine light came on and engine powered down (no engine noise or grinding). Broke down in middle of Texas oil fields (near Odessa/Midland), got it towed to nearest town (Pecos), it is still there now. The mechanic estimated $9 K or more for parts and labor but could cost $10 K more when he gets into it. He said cylinder head and cam shaft damaged, have to pull entire radiator front section off to get cylinder head and cam shaft out, due to valves and lifter getting stuck in cam shaft. We don't have $10-20 k to fix and owe the bank 20k, any suggestions?? It could sell for $25-30K if engine was working.
We can't default on our 20 k bank loan but don't have $10-20 k to fix it, so will have to just keep making payments to bank sadly. If someone leased with $5000 down and they towed it to another location to use as living space . . . has anyone done this before, need everyone's suggestion what to do (we just paid $7 k in repairs and service before leaving on this trip . . .it was our honeymoon, HELP!
Slasor2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

First off, get a second opinion.

Maybe look into hiring an oil field mechanic to do it on the side?
Or sell it for what you can get and take a loan out for the difference. (To me this makes the most sense. There are a lot of people willing to take a project on when they think they are going to make money)
Whatever you do, no more diesels unless you have money in the bank is sound advice for anyone reading this who is thinking of buying a used DP.
The repairs can cost more than the rv is worth, obviously you know that now.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasor2017 View Post
We have a Class A motor-home (2000 Diesel Monaco Diplomat, 38 foot 5.8 Cummins engine #45892600), engine light came on and engine powered down (no engine noise or grinding). Broke down in middle of Texas oil fields (near Odessa/Midland), got it towed to nearest town (Pecos), it is still there now. The mechanic estimated $9 K or more for parts and labor but could cost $10 K more when he gets into it. He said cylinder head and cam shaft damaged, have to pull entire radiator front section off to get cylinder head and cam shaft out, due to valves and lifter getting stuck in cam shaft. We don't have $10-20 k to fix and owe the bank 20k, any suggestions?? It could sell for $25-30K if engine was working.
We can't default on our 20 k bank loan but don't have $10-20 k to fix it, so will have to just keep making payments to bank sadly. If someone leased with $5000 down and they towed it to another location to use as living space . . . has anyone done this before, need everyone's suggestion what to do (we just paid $7 k in repairs and service before leaving on this trip . . .it was our honeymoon, HELP!
Sorry your Honeymoon was ruined by this unexpected expense. IF you do decide to rent it out as a stationary living space, you may as well consider having them remove the engine and tranny and sell those for parts. If the cummins block is undamaged, it should be worth something as a rebuildable core, at the least. The Allison alone may be worth a couple grand.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

Congrats on your honeymoon!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by agpopp View Post
First off, get a second opinion.

Maybe look into hiring an oil field mechanic to do it on the side?
Or sell it for what you can get and take a loan out for the difference. (To me this makes the most sense. There are a lot of people willing to take a project on when they think they are going to make money)
Whatever you do, no more diesels unless you have money in the bank is sound advice for anyone reading this who is thinking of buying a used DP.
The repairs can cost more than the rv is worth, obviously you know that now.
x2 on the oil field mechanic idea. You're pretty much in the middle of oil field country and there are probably as many, or more, good diesel mechanics in the oil fields as there are anywhere.

At any rate, I definitely would get a second opinion.

Sorry for your troubles. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Second Opinion
Find a supply house that sells diesel part and ask for recommendations.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

I doubt the shell could be leased for very much, your options are, fix it, or consider it as salvage, tough situation,
Good Luck
Old 10-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #8

Sad story. But this shows the hazards of a diesel class a motorhome with few resources to pay for major repairs.
This is a 19 year old vehicle. Sometimes I wonder why people take these risks
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Never heard of one going down like that .. There are thousands of 5.9s out there ... used and rebuilt... Might need a better shop ... That 5.9 should be easy to pull and drop another in ... I could do it in my shop !!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

How far are you from home, maybe tow it home then you will have time to think about and get other opinions ,and yes get a second opinion on the repairs
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #11

So sorry to read this tragic story.
This is a very expensive learning experience.
Can you go to whomever you have your loan with and get their advice?
Get their help ?
Ultimately the lien holder Owns this rv at this point.
They have $20,000. Invested.

You need to talk to them very soon and go from there.

If you cant pay the shop for the tear down estimate???
The shop can put a lien on the rv. This is quite a common practice.

This is exactly why the experienced owners advise having a cash cushion of $10 to $20
Thousand available to stay on the road.

Keep us advised please
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmiller1 View Post
Never heard of one going down like that .. There are thousands of 5.9 out there ... used and rebuilt... Might need a better shop ... That 5.9 should be easy to pull and drop another in ... I could do it in my shop !!
Exactly correct.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #13

So sorry for the bad timing, Sounds like you got a good deal on the coach in the first place. If it has low mileage and everything else is in good working order I would take out a loan and make payments on the repairs although other issues could come up that cannot be diagnosed until running. These things are big investments new and old. Many shops will adjust the parts and labor if they know you are going to walk away. A major GM dealer dropped their original price by $1300 on my wife’s car when I said no way.

It can be done cheaper but a regular mechanic will be shocked too when they realize the cost of all the oil and fluid refills and typically no warranty.

The most expensive part that the coach is named for is worth fixing.

Also consider that the 10k is going towards keeping your credit good.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find a good reasonable priced shop and short block it, then keep moving on.

You would have to spend much more to replace the entire coach. I've done this a few times in my life, and never regretted it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown diesel engine