Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Unhappy Blown tire

We left on our trip of a lifetime - bucket list - on 6/15 and home again 6/16
we blew a tire and it in turn took out our fresh water tank and half of the compartment - we are told it will take a bit to come up with a replacement compartment since out unit is a 1999 National Seaview - is this a common occurrence with a blow out ?
any comments suggestions
Thank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tread separation can result in a 9 foot long piece of steel and rubber flapping at the speed of the tire. Devastating to anthing it touches.

Keep a close eye on tyour tire air pressure. If your tires are 5 to 7 years old and show any sidewall cracks replace them all.

Get her fixed, then carry on.
These things don't happen very often, hopefully won't happem to you again.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
If your tires are 5 to 7 years old and show any sidewall cracks replace them all.
Not necessarily true, for some reason this seems to keep getting repeated all over the Internet. Michelin states that tires will last at least five years, then they should be inspected every year by a qualified technician and absolutely replaced at 10 years. I replaced ours after about 8 years as they had some sidewall cracking.
Also from Michelin: If the sidewall cracks are 1/32" deep or less the tire is good, if over 2/23" deep then they need replacing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDM View Post
We left on our trip of a lifetime - bucket list - on 6/15 and home again 6/16
we blew a tire and it in turn took out our fresh water tank and half of the compartment - we are told it will take a bit to come up with a replacement compartment since out unit is a 1999 National Seaview - is this a common occurrence with a blow out ?
any comments suggestions
Thank
Sorry to hear of your tire failure. We have a new sticky thread to record tire failures so we can keep track of which tires are failing and for what cause. The name of the sticky is the Tire Failure Records and if you wouldn't mind filling out the form it would be appreciated.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Michelins 235/80R22.5 on my motorhome. I recently weighed the coach and the front weighed 7160 lbs. and the rear 12862 lbs. I realize most say to weigh each wheel separately but this was not possible with the farm co-op scales I was using.
I have looked at the Load and Inflation table for this size tire and I am now totally confused.
If I take the 7160 lbs and divide by 2, I get an average of 3580 lbs for each front tire. If I take 12862 lbs and divide by 2, I get and average of 6431 lbs for the rear dual tires. This puts me at the bottom of the table at @70-75 psi. I believe this is wrong (too low psi). Newmar has on it's label (110 psi for both front and rear and Workhorse has 75 psi for both front and rear tires.
Based on what most say on this forum I have been running about 100 psi in my tires but now I am concerned they are over inflated based on Michelin's Load and Inflation tables.
Who am I to believe! I have three different values I could use.
What am I missing here? I thought I was an intelligent guy but it sure is beginning to look like I am getting senile in my old age.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
MerryDM,

The thing here is to KNOW the age of YOUR tires . All tires have a "born on date" stamped on the sidewall. There is a lot of discussion about when a tire should be replace and as MR_D states Michelin has their standards. A good rule of thumb is 7 years to be watching them very closely and be ready to shell out mega bucks for replacements. Most RV tires run out of time before they run out of tread. My '05 coach had tires dated 2403 (they were "born" the 24th week of 2003). The sidewalls crack and when you are going down the road at 60 MPH as you found out they dont just take out the tire but a major portion of the surrounding body work. A $600 tire can easily do over $5K worth of damage. With that said I would rather replace 6 tires before they are due than repair one high speed blow out (besides the damage to the coach the DW will not speak to you for a REALLY long time, because obviously it was your fault for not getting new tires before the blow out . Hmmm maybe that is not such a bad thing ..... Just kidding dear!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardrky View Post
I
If I take the 7160 lbs and divide by 2, I get an average of 3580 lbs for each front tire. If I take 12862 lbs and divide by 2, I get and average of 6431 lbs for the rear dual tires. This puts me at the bottom of the table at @70-75 psi. I believe this is wrong (too low psi). Newmar has on it's label (110 psi for both front and rear and Workhorse has 75 psi for both front and rear tires.
Based on what most say on this forum I have been running about 100 psi in my tires but now I am concerned they are over inflated based on Michelin's Load and Inflation tables.
Who am I to believe! I have three different values I could use.
110 is the maximum pressure/load and is too much for an average W22. My coach label says 95 front and 90 rear which is what I have run without issues and is still plenty for reserve with my 7,320 front axle and 13,600 rear fully loaded & full gas actual weights.
I think, and just my seat-of-pants feel is that the tires are a little too soft in the sidewall at lower pressure and seem a little more vague in handling. 95/90 seems to be a good balance of handling and ride for us. That is for the Michelin XRV. Other brands probably behave differently.

And to the OP. Bummer and bad luck. Hope you get things made right.