Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #15

Accelerating after a blowout is contrary to what instinct tells us to do, but it's the right thing to do. For those who were unaware of this, it could be helpful in changing that "Instinct" to post a reminder note in full view while driving. If the brain can register it enough times, your new instinct will be to accelerate and might just save a life or two.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #16

Thank you for sharing V3600. Excellent reminder and advice.
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sad! And to think that a $400 SteerSafe stabilizer may have prevented this tragedy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
So sad! And to think that a $400 SteerSafe stabilizer may have prevented this tragedy!
Or not, no way to know.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #19

Weird, the article now says this:
" They say the occupants of the two cars were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries."

"They" being the authorities.

Looking at the video, the RV burnt up and there is hardly anything left of the Escape.

Sad.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
How to Cope with a Front Tire Blowout

Don’t brake. Braking will intensify the side pull.
Accelerate. This counter intuitive step might seem foolhardy at first but it will stabilize your truck. Acceleration has a lifting effect on the tractor’s front end that takes weight off the blown out tire. Less weight reduces the damaged tire’s dragging. This in turn, reduces the side pull. Accelerate just enough to get control over the steering. Don’t overdo it. If your cruise control is on, you must quickly turn it off without braking.
Hold the steering wheel tightly. Grip your steering wheel firmly with both hands. You must resist the steering’s tendency to pull to the side. Don’t over steer. Simply keep your truck moving straight ahead.
Allow the truck to come to a stop. Slowly ease off the gas while keeping the truck in your lane. Turn on your flashers and allow wind and road drag to slow your truck down to a stop at the side of the road.
Again, stay away from the brake pedal.
With all due respect, IMO this has never been properly explained. And, IMO it's because the correct explanation is long and complicated (for most motorhome drivers). One actually needs to know physics, chassis dynamics and drive-axle design.
In the first place, due to the fact that the first adverse force that occurs is the lateral frictional force that comes from the combination of the significant friction of the failed tire PLUS the forward motion of the mass, the most logical FIRST/immediate thing the driver should do is turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the adverse yaw.
Simultaneously, DO NOT touch the brake!
Here's the first complication: While the above is taking place the driver must also NOT reduce the cruise power to the drive axle. The explanation to this one is difficult to conceptionalize and to understand, because it involves definitions, occurances and requirements. First of all, by retaining the cruise level of engine power the driver will have the benefit of high hydraulic pressure to the power steering PLUS the favorable asymmetrical forward thrust that results as soon as one of the front tires goes completely flat.
In order to understand this asymmetrical thrust one needs to understand that there is a favorable weight shift to the driven tires which are on the same side as the failed front tire. This added weight comes from the side of the opposite driven tires. And, because of how the drive-axle differential gears work, whenever the differential gears senses this weight shift the engine torque will be biased to the drive tires which are now carrying the higher load. And, THIS results in a higher forward thrust on the same side as the failed tire. These are the forces which help the driver to counter the adverse yaw at the front of the vehicle. Conversely, if the driver stomps on the brakes first, this will NEGATE the beneficial forces.
Now I ask you, how many drivers can process all this information in TWO(2) seconds?
This is the knowledge that tells me that you do NOT need to "step on the gas". All you need to do is retain the power you have. In other words, LEAVE IT IN CRUISE CONTROL, don't do anything with your feet until you're sure you have absolute directional control of the vehicle/stay in your lane.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #21

Blowout kills 4

[QUOTE=jerboy;3757632]Last night on I 40 near Santa Rosa N.M. a Holiday Rambler Imperial blew a tire, crossed the medial, hit a SUV killing

This was good video about tire blow outs
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
I recently pointed out severely cracked 2010 Michelin tires to a coach owner and sadly he was aware of them (and the potential consequences) yet for whatever reason had no obvious intention of replacing them anytime soon... No sense of urgency... As a motivator, even told him about FMCA pricing AND HE WAS ALREADY AWARE OF IT. I have seen cracked tires before, yet these were the worst.
Apparently there are people who are unaware of the dangers of driving on old tires.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #23

My 2 cents,,

It probably doesn't hurt to accelerate but i'm just not sure how much it will help when used with our motorhomes.

If you notice the wording in V3600's post,

"This counter intuitive step might seem foolhardy at first but it will stabilize your truck. Acceleration has a lifting effect on the tractor’s front end that takes weight off the blown out tire."

I figure this is more of a practice that truck drivers would use than us RVers. And it makes sense because of the short wheelbase of the truck plus the weight of its trailer on the rear axles. Giving it the gas is definitely going to take pressure off the front end on a truck.

Certainly not going to try anyone what to do but imo, holding on tight to the steering wheel and staying off the brakes until everything is under control are the things i will do. Just hope we never experience a blowout in the first place.

Was hoping that F4Gary was right but it appears there were four people killed in this accident. Our prayers go out to all involved.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=RM travelers;3759006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Last night on I 40 near Santa Rosa N.M. a Holiday Rambler Imperial blew a tire, crossed the medial, hit a SUV killing

This was good video about tire blow outs
This video has been going round and round on the internet. I have looked at it a number of times on various forums. It makes no more sense now than when I first saw it. It says your first action with a front tire blows out, is to step on the accelerator, I totally disagree. I've had two blow outs, the most recent was a RF tire in May 2015. The last thing I wanted was more speed or more forward thrust. There was a pretty rough vibration in the steering wheel as well as a pull to the right. I slowed (did not brake), maintained control and got off the road. There is no way your basic RV driver, after hearing a loud BANG, and feels the steering wheel vibrating in his/her hands is going to step on the accelerator. The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #25

It's A Motorhome, NOT A Semi Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
My 2 cents,,

It probably doesn't hurt to accelerate but i'm just not sure how much it will help when used with our motorhomes.

If you notice the wording in V3600's post,

"This counter intuitive step might seem foolhardy at first but it will stabilize your truck. Acceleration has a lifting effect on the tractor’s front end that takes weight off the blown out tire."

I figure this is more of a practice that truck drivers would use than us RVers. And it makes sense because of the short wheelbase of the truck plus the weight of its trailer on the rear axles. Giving it the gas is definitely going to take pressure off the front end on a truck.

Certainly not going to try anyone what to do but imo, holding on tight to the steering wheel and staying off the brakes until everything is under control are the things i will do. Just hope we never experience a blowout in the first place.

Was hoping that F4Gary was right but it appears there were four people killed in this accident. Our prayers go out to all involved.
While the steps listed are indeed helpful to us MH operators, a diesel pusher MH reacts differently than an 18 wheel tractor IMHO. First, a tractor has the full weight of the engine and tranny sitting over the steer tires. Second, the vehicle is not being pushed like in a DP. Relatively speaking, there's precious little weight over the steers in a DP. Thus, I question the wisdom and value of accelerating in the immediate aftermath of a steer blowout. Braking is a definite NO-NO. If I was on cruise when the event started, I would need both hands to try and keep the MH steering straight. As soon as practical I would tap the brake just enough to disengage the cruise. I would not brake until wind and resistance slowed the MH down to a low speed and could safely steer the MH onto the shoulder and stop. With my MH, the cruise control is on the dash and not easy to operate if the steering wheel is jerking around.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Doubt if you want to but please do not try to convince someone else not to. The misconception here is acceleration. You will not pick up speed in the 3 to 4 seconds of pushing the pedal. It is used to help maintain directional stability. Once you have that do not apply brakes! Allow the speed to decrease and do not try changing lanes until almost stopped. Been there done that several times. IT WORKS! Hope it never happens to you!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Doubt if you want to but please do not try to convince someone else not to. The misconception here is acceleration. You will not pick up speed in the 3 to 4 seconds of pushing the pedal. It is used to help maintain directional stability. Once you have that do not apply brakes! Allow the speed to decrease and do not try changing lanes until almost stopped. Been there done that several times. IT WORKS! Hope it never happens to you!
I think you'd be in for a surprise if you hit the throttle for 3 or 4 seconds on my rig while cruising at 60 mph! You WILL accelerate.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #28

I'm not sure it matters much but every motorhome accident I see involving a blown tire is a DP.
I may have missed it , but I've not seen a gas motorhome involved in an accident due to blow out
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote