Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

We recently heard of a product made by Tyron that helps prevent a tire from leaving the rim during a blowout. Do any of you use it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

We recently heard of a product made by Tyron that helps prevent a tire from leaving the rim during a blowout. Do any of you use it?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
First I've heard of it also.

HERE is a link to their web site.

An interesting product.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #4

The April 2007 issue of MotorHome magazine has an article about the system. The real problem is the cost, my dealer wanted $900 per tire for it, so we passed on it. Subsequently I have heard of difficulties in dealing with tire dealers who don't have the tools required to remove it in order to replace a blown out tire.

A number of the Freedom Roads dealers are selling it, but they are very carefully protecting the very high price for it. My guess is that it is highly profitable for them. My big concern is what happens out on the road when the tire can not be changed out by some one along side the road? The MotorHome article shows the special tool used to install the system, and you would have to take it off to install an new tire, then re-install the Tyron system back on.

The video for the product I have seen is very convincing, I just personally had a problem with the high price per wheel.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am a firm believer that if you have the right size tire, inflated to the proper pressure, is not 5 years or older, is not overloaded and is not driven over 65mph you will rarely if ever have a problem. If you are one that has to drive 70 or more remember to derate the weight carrying capacity of the tire 50 lbs for every mph over 65.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I see a lot of scare tactics in the Tyron ad, stuff that is only incidentally related to the product. Yeah, a blow out is not something to scoff at, but it need not be all that dangerous either. And it's a whole lot cheaper to learn proper driving technique than to fit the ultra expensive Tyron.

Here's a link to a site that offers the Michelin Tire Blowout Safety video at speeds suitable for dial-up, cable or DSL.
Michelin Blowout Video
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tyron came from England several years ago where it is on all military vehicles. They started their sales promotion on the west coast.

They did two demonstrations in Los Angeles and one a year later in Las Vegas. A retired Captain from my Department bought into the company and convinced my Department to buy several hundred units. I was getting my two front tires on my County vehicle balanced today and saw a pile of the bands stacked in the corner. The tire guy said they don't install them anymore.

I originally assisted in testing them by providing the explosion that blew a hole in the tire while they were driving the vehicle at 60 mph.

In theory they are great, but if you stop your vehicle in a relatively short distance after a blow out, you don't really need them.

They fit around the deep slot in the center of the rim that allows the bead of the tire to drop into and come off when changing a tire. By blocking that slot the beads can't come off of the rim. As you see in a lot of police chases the tire comes completely off of the rim once it blows out. The Tyron band prevents that.

The dealers are making BIG profits on the bands.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #8

We bought our Jamboree 31M in November and were offered this protection too. They made sure that we watched the video and gave us the pitch. They didn't hard sell it but made a couple of attempts to get us to do it.

They wanted in the neighborhood of 2k for it and given the price we paid for the MH also passed on it.

I haven't talked to anyone who has bought it so can't say anything about it.

Tom Sauls
Tom Sauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in total agreement with RV Wizard.
We have been full timing for 10 years in 4 different MH. Generally drive at 62 mph and have never had a tire issue.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I'll throw in with Roamer and Wizard. Tires are built so well now that a failure is very rarely the fault of the manufacturer. Most tire failures lay to blame on the owner operator. It really is amazing how well built they are. Tires are run low on air, overloaded, potholed, curbed, and run over garbage on the road and still keep rolling.

Bridgestone tires are rated at 75mph with out any reduction in load capacity. The ones that aren't rated 75 are used on refuse, off-road, cement and the like. Michelin, Goodyear, ect fall into this category. BUT, check .
Old 03-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #11

I'll throw in with the majority. Tyron started as a military application. I've served for 20+ years and did a tour in Iraq. Spent alot of time behind the wheel of a HUMVEE with runflat tires. They do the job they are meant to, get you out of harms' way quick. Wouldn't want it on the MH.

Best thing to do is weigh each tire individually. Adjust the load accordingly and inflate per the manufactures' inflation chart. Check your tire pressure often, watch your speed and mind the age of your tires.

You'll get a long, safe service life from your tires.
Marker365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marker365:
I've served for 20+ years and did a tour in Iraq. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your service!

RVN - 69-71
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #13

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
I am happy with what I have. No need for this item.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote