Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

I have first hand on a front tire blow out. My passenger front, first it had a very little shake the a violent shake and pow. Good news it went straight bad news is the damage don't know the extent still in the shop. What a heart pounding few seconds.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecastra View Post
How much did the Insurance pay if you had it and don't mind sharing?
ERMS paid for any service charges related to getting a tire guy on site but I had to pay for the tire. Motor vehicle insurance deductible was $500 so didn't involve them.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #17

How to handle a blowout in your MH:

I watch this video prior to every outing with our MH, and have it bookmarked on my laptop too. It's no guarantee I'll remember to react as it recommends, but refreshes my mind about what to do.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=mdecastra;2865247]I just realized that there are different rims maybe for each time (front .vs. outside dually .vs. inside dually, etc).
QUOTE]

Never heard of such a thing. All the rims should be the same size, certainly on the duals, most likely all the way around. We can all agree the duals have the same bolt pattern...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
About 2 years ago, I had a blowout on the right rear, inside duals. The tire shredded the storage compartment, directly in front of the duals. I carry a spare (tire only) and have Good Sam, Road Service.

I was doing about 50-55mph and didn't have any trouble getting to the side of I-75 and getting stopped. Good Sam sent a tire service company out. The service guy took off both rear tires and replaced the blown tire, with my spare, all within a two hour period. My aluminum rim, was not damaged.

I had to rope up the damaged pieces of fender and storage compartment, so they wouldn't drag on the ground, but I made the 100 mile trip home with no further trouble. Except for replacing my tires and my deductible, Good Sam paid for all the damages (about $2,000), to my MH, including replacing the storage compartment and painting any outside paint damage.
I just got a Bounder with 22.5" wheels. It's the first I've had that has no spare.
How did you mount/carry your tire only spare?
I have more than enough room behind the gas tank but there's no mount system back there.
Thanks.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #20

[QUOTE=TonyMac;2866214]
Quote:
I just realized that there are different rims maybe for each time (front .vs. outside dually .vs. inside dually, etc).
QUOTE]

Never heard of such a thing. All the rims should be the same size, certainly on the duals, most likely all the way around. We can all agree the duals have the same bolt pattern...
TonyMac
Most coaches with aluminum wheels use the same size tire "all the way around" on wheels with the "same bolt pattern....BUT most have steel wheels on the "inside dually position".
On many. (most?) coaches the wheel studs on the rear hubs are NOT LONG ENOUGH to use 2 aluminum wheels on the same side of the rear axle, because the "same size aluminum wheels with the same bolt pattern" are THICKER than the "same size steel wheels".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I just got a Bounder with 22.5" wheels. It's the first I've had that has no spare.
How did you mount/carry your tire only spare?
I have more than enough room behind the gas tank but there's no mount system back there.
Thanks.
My Providence, has a storage compartment, just behind the right rear dual wheels. This compartment was built for storing a spare and has all the gear to hold the tire steady, while traveling. Gripper
Old 12-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Tires don't just Blow Out....
Oh but they do!!
Lost a front tire on the interstate 2 months ago. Inside tire wall blew out, I could put my fist thru the hole. Unfortunately I didn't have the TPMS turned on at the time but it had been on until our previous stop(extended) and all tire presssures were normal.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #23

I had my front passenger tire blow out on I-65 in Kentucky somewhere. Couch had some vibration but was surprisingly easy to control -- I kept my cool and pulled onto shoulder. The tire wall blew out but rim were fine. I carry a mounted spare and had roadside assistance there in about an hour. Tire was swapped for spare and no charge to me. Finished my drive to Chicago and then had 6 new tires mounted. ( they were 6 year old tires).

Here's the kicker and this is completely true. About a half hour before blow out my youngest boy, 9 year old, asked me what would happen if we got a flat tire. Guess I had rehearsed it in my mind which might have been why I didn't panic.
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Tires don't just Blow Out....
DMTTRANSPORT
Unfortunately they DO!
It is also unfortunate that many times even the best tire pressure monitor system has no way of warning the driver of an impending blow out.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #25

Quote:
I have never has a blow out and currently do not have a spare.
1) What typically happens? Loose tire and rim?
2) Do you usually get a good replacement? Or do you get by until you find a valid replacement (Aluminum rim and Good Michelin tire (New Born On Date)?
3) Does having your own spare help with these risks?

On my unit, I have 4 alum rims and 2 steel.
If the rim gets damaged in the blowout and its a steel rim, not a big deal (maybe).
If its an alum rim and I have to pay the going price (not cheap) to replace rim and tire, am I paying a premium that again could be avoided?

Not sure what most people do. I do plan to replace my tires when ever there is a sign of rot (7 or 8 yrs). I also plan to use Michelin tires.

My RV has spent 3 years out (with wheel covers) and will spend the next 30 years in a garage.

Any advice and what experience have you had?
The main concern are front tire blowouts. That's is the reason I installed Tyron. In the event of a true blowout and not a flat I will be able to maintain control of RV.
It's expensive. I paid around $2,000 for the front tires but safety is paramount.
I have been looking into carryin a spare without rim. From what I understand many companies can change the tire if you or they have one but finding one is hard.
Lastly, a TPMS is on list and I'm leaning towards the TST system.
Enjoy
lenny-shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:37 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=mel s;2866318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
TonyMac
Most coaches with aluminum wheels use the same size tire "all the way around" on wheels with the "same bolt pattern....BUT most have steel wheels on the "inside dually position".
On many. (most?) coaches the wheel studs on the rear hubs are NOT LONG ENOUGH to use 2 aluminum wheels on the same side of the rear axle, because the "same size aluminum wheels with the same bolt pattern" are THICKER than the "same size steel wheels".
Mel
'96 Safari
Another point/question, when I look at my front wheel and compare to the outside dually, the front looks completely different. The holes are the same, however the shape of the inside of the rim is completely different. The front center rim sticks out. The back rim is shaped inward with a cone in the middle. These appear to be 2 different rim types which are the same size, just bolt on to the wheel in a different manner. If I tool a rear rim and mounted to the front, it would stick out from the RV. It I tool a front rim and mounted in rear, it would touch the other dually.

So for owners with 6 wheels and 3 different rim types, a spare is hard to justify.
mdecastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #27

[QUOTE=mdecastra;2868270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Another point/question, when I look at my front wheel and compare to the outside dually, the front looks completely different. The holes are the same, however the shape of the inside of the rim is completely different. The front center rim sticks out. The back rim is shaped inward with a cone in the middle. These appear to be 2 different rim types which are the same size, just bolt on to the wheel in a different manner. If I tool a rear rim and mounted to the front, it would stick out from the RV. It I tool a front rim and mounted in rear, it would touch the other dually.

So for owners with 6 wheels and 3 different rim types, a spare is hard to justify.

The front & rear wheels are the same but mounted in reverse. I have noticed that Freightliner has started shipping chassis with the inside dual also aluminum, so all wheels are the same. Generally, with aluminum, only one side is polished so you still have to order as to which side is polished.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Steve Ownby;2868289]
Quote:

The front & rear wheels are the same but mounted in reverse. I have noticed that Freightliner has started shipping chassis with the inside dual also aluminum, so all wheels are the same. Generally, with aluminum, only one side is polished so you still have to order as to which side is polished.
This makes sense about same rim, but different sides polished. For a spare it does not matter. If I end up using the spare because my alum rim was damaged, I have 50/50 chance of polishing one side.

Thanks, to everyone else who responded to this post. Again, there are two many issues for me to go with spare:

1) 22.5 wheels (heavy tire)
2) Alum rims
3) Rather spend money on tires sooner
4) Will have EMRS all the time anyway
5) Concern about weight limits

I am OK with my decision and I know everyone is different and has different situations.
mdecastra is offline   Reply With Quote