Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #29

[QUOTE=Steve Ownby;2868289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecastra View Post
The front & rear wheels are the same but mounted in reverse. I have noticed that Freightliner has started shipping chassis with the inside dual also aluminum, so all wheels are the same. Generally, with aluminum, only one side is polished so you still have to order as to which side is polished.
Steve
True.
However on many, (most?), "6 wheel coaches" with aluminum wheels... only 4 of the 6 wheels are aluminum.
On those coaches the 2 "front wheels"and the 2 "outside dually wheels" are aluminum... while the 2 "inside dually wheels" are steel.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Tst tpms

Invest in a TST TPMS if you were to have an issue it will alert you, and you will surely save the rim, and possibly the tire. Call me with any questions I am available until midnight 7 days a week at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson

Old 12-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Invest in a TST TPMS if you were to have an issue it will alert you, and you will surely save the rim, and possibly the tire. Call me with any questions I am available until midnight 7 days a week at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
I can testify to that. Price doesn't matter if service is lacking. Thanks TST!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Thanks,
Mike Benson
mbenson
??
As you must know, (being in the TPMS business), a "blowout" is a sudden rupture or bursting of a tire, (aka: the sudden escape of air from a tire through a rupture in that tire).
I find it hard to believe that ANY tire-pressure monitoring system can "alert you to" every possible cause of a "blowout" before it happens.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The TPMS systems can't warn you in advance of a sudden explosive failure, but most failures are caused by running on low tire pressure. Be it from a puncture or lack of maintenance they will eventually completely fail. A TPMS will warn you when the tire drops below a preset level before it is too late. I justified the purchase because the system I bought was roughly the price of a new tire. I can even check tire pressure on any of my six RV tires and the four on my Toad from the drivers seat. I also carry an infrared temperature gauge and do a walk around checking all tires and brakes when I stop to rest up.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
The vast majority of blow outs are caused from from under inflated tires.

A TPMS will alert you to that condition before the tire over heats and blows.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post

A TPMS will alert you to that condition before the tire over heats and blows.
I would suspect that your statement about under inflation may be true, tire industry wide, but in just the recreation vehicle industry, age of tire maybe a bigger contributing factor in blow outs.

I wonder if there is any data avalible on causes of RV tire failure.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
scep
How do you know that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
age of tire maybe a bigger contributing factor in blow outs.
I wonder if there is any data available on causes of RV tire failure.
twinboat
I agree!

I would welcome, (and believe), any "factual data on causes of RV tire failure"...(however I suspect that most posted statements re RV tire blowouts are simply the opinion of the author... based on speculation.... presented as fact).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a right front blowout in May of this year on a very busy interstate. We were cruising at 60, with the cruise control on, well within the tire's weight limit, it was properly inflated and had not aged out. We had just crossed a small bridge, and the emergency services driver thought we had run over something that caused the catastrophic failure. When the tire failed the steering wheel started vibrating rapidly back and forth with a slight pull to the right. I immediately tapped off the cruise control and, as we slowed, gradually moved to the shoulder. The biggest problem we had was that the shoulder was very narrow, with a 45 degree angle drop off. My Velvac mirrors have three lenses, the bottom is oriented on each respective front tire, so I could see exactly how far I needed to get off the hard stand before I started down the embankment. Even getting as far as I could into the grass left us dangerously close the highway. Every 18 wheeler that went by, shook the entire coach. The emergency services driver managed to get the remnants of the old tire off, and the new tire on, without removing the rim, that was still serviceable..

Re the Michelin video, as I look back on this experience, the last thing I wanted (or needed) was more speed or thrust, it would have caused more damage and exacerbated the problem. At no time was I in danger of losing control of the coach or was the vibration or pull to the right severe. Attempting to accelerate or increase thrust never entered my mind. My only thought was to slow down and get off the highway. And that's what I did.

The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
scep
How do you know that??

twinboat
I agree!

I would welcome, (and believe), any "factual data on causes of RV tire failure"...(however I suspect that most posted statements re RV tire blowouts are simply the opinion of the author... based on speculation.... presented as fact).

Mel
'96 Safari
The largest cause of tire failures is under-inflation/overloading.
ref: Tire Failure
An internet search, using the term "largest cause of tire failures" reveals several pages of results. However, all tire mfgrs websites have similar statements warning of the dangers of underinflation/overloading.
The RMA/Rubber Manufacturers Association pdf on tire care, contains many warnings and cautions about underinflation/overloading; ch 4, pg 51 pertains to RV tires and inflation information.
It also states to never inflate to less than the vehicle mfgrs tire placard stated air pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
mbenson
??
As you must know, (being in the TPMS business), a "blowout" is a sudden rupture or bursting of a tire, (aka: the sudden escape of air from a tire through a rupture in that tire).
I find it hard to believe that ANY tire-pressure monitoring system can "alert you to" every possible cause of a "blowout" before it happens.
Mel
'96 Safari
This is true I had no lose of air or temp increase and boom.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
I had a right front tire blowout. It was like an explosion-BAM. Caused $10K in coach damage which insurance paid for. Followed the Michelin guidance. On the throttle for just a second or two until I got control of the steering, then eased it to the shoulder which took a lot of force on the steering wheel. I called CoachNet. They brought me a new tire, mounted it on the still usable rim, and in less than 3 hours start to finish I was driving away.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #41

The " Tire Guy" cartoon figure seems to be offering his opinion on tire failures.

He offers no statistics from insurance companies, tire manufactures or government agencies.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #42

This is a good discussion and the first video of that Tuscany losing control is something that we all need to see. However, I feel there are likely some key details that we need to know to keep from becoming that Tuscany when a blow out occurs. Those details we will never know.

My thought is that this accident is the result of not just one factor, but multiple factors that led to the resultant loss of control. That left steer tire could have been under inflated. The steer axle could have been overweight. The coaches speed could have been excessive for the conditions. The prevailing wind could have been blowing the coach toward the blown tire.

My feeling on this accident is that there were multiple factors at play and not just one. We already have a couple of examples of blow outs in this very thread that worked out fine, so that does not mean that every time a steer tire blows that our coaches are going to lose control and roll over. I think this is an example of some of the things we can do to mitigate our risk; 1. Maintain proper cold tire pressure based on weight. 2. Check axle weights based on how we are normally loaded when we drive and with full fuel. 3. Slow down (especially in high wind conditions).

These are my thoughts after watching the video and reading through all of these great posts.

swberry is offline   Reply With Quote