Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blowout what happens

I have never has a blow out and currently do not have a spare.
1) What typically happens? Loose tire and rim?
2) Do you usually get a good replacement? Or do you get by until you find a valid replacement (Aluminum rim and Good Michelin tire (New Born On Date)?
3) Does having your own spare help with these risks?

On my unit, I have 4 alum rims and 2 steel.
If the rim gets damaged in the blowout and its a steel rim, not a big deal (maybe).
If its an alum rim and I have to pay the going price (not cheap) to replace rim and tire, am I paying a premium that again could be avoided?

Not sure what most people do. I do plan to replace my tires when ever there is a sign of rot (7 or 8 yrs). I also plan to use Michelin tires.

My RV has spent 3 years out (with wheel covers) and will spend the next 30 years in a garage.

Any advice and what experience have you had?
mdecastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After seeing this worst case example.

I purchased a tire monitoring system to monitor tire pres and temps. It was several hundred bucks but after reading here and other forums the main cause of blow outs is low tire pres. I also had the four corners weighed and set tire pres per tire manufacturers recommendations. I also just installed a reflex steering stabilizer that is suppose to help maintain control in the event of a front tire sudden loss of pres.
Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Train your brain to not react when you have a blowout. First instinct is to push the brake pedal and that will almost certainly cause you to lose control.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

You asked alot of good questions--do a search on this forum--most of your questions have been answered/responded to indepth. Some responses are facts and some are opinions--up to you to sort out which is which. Here are a few of the answers you will see: 1] try to keep foot on gas vs brake until you regain control; 2] Installing a TPMS for both coach and towed is a great idea; 3] weight coach on all four corners and maintain air pressures based on manufacturer load/pressure tables; 4] 5-7 years is the max for RV tires; 5] inspect often for damage and cracks; 6] lots of opinions on caring a spare--may save some $$$$ in the event of blowout, but in the meantime, they take up storage space and continue to age; and last, speed kills--even though your rig maybe capable of cruising at 70+ MPH, a blow-out at 60 or 65 will be easier to "survive"--see video above. Good luck on your decision......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Tires don't just Blow Out....
Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

On a blowout, the tire generally has instantaneous deflation, and probably rubber chunks flying. The first reaction by you is do not panic, maintain control and don't slam on the brakes. Assuming a front tire, worst case, it will want to pull and will drop down. So hold wheel to keep direction and work over to shoulder best you can. You will not have real good control, but you do have enough to come to a stop. The wheel will be damaged some, as the load will likely unbead the tire. Whether it is able to use again or not just depends on situation.

As to the spare tire and possibly wheel, it will save you buying one. But it also means carrying it around when that may not be convenient or easy. I would only carry an alum wheel as spare, steel is much heavier.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=mdecastra;2865079]1) What typically happens? Loose tire and rim?
2) Do you usually get a good replacement? Or do you get by until you find a valid replacement (Aluminum rim and Good Michelin tire (New Born On Date)?
3) Does having your own spare help with these risks?QUOTE]

1) If you have a blowout, at any speed outside a school zone, kiss rim goodbye. The rim's bead will contact the ground and will be useless. I'd also worry about internal damage to the rim, even if the bead "looks good".
2) If all the tires are worn and timed out, get a whole new set, and give thanks to be alive to do it. If the tires are fresh, get a new steel rim to get home and a high quality tire. Keep the blown tire and rim for insurance/warrenty if required (do not allow them to charge you a disposal fee if you're keeping the tire); if no warrenty/insurance, dispoe it inplace.
3) No. Most people will never mount their spare. I have a 74 Corvette with the original spare that has never been on the ground; 95 Suburban, ditto.
4) Maintain and drive smart.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for everyone's ideas! I am new, but have done a lot of research here for 'how to prevent' tire blowouts (swaybars, tpms, tire pressure, etc.).

So far, I have heard that I will likely loose my rim (if I have bad luck). My guess is it will likely be a 'road hazard' kind of event. My gut says "do not risk the tire age issue".

Based on that, I think I will buy a alum rim, which I might could store somewhere in a bay. If I loose a inside dually, I will use the alum and replace with steel at my convenience. I think my roadside insurance will pay to have a tire mount done on my rim, and then mount on rig in place, without tow. All I have to do is tell them what kind of tire to bring.

I also can add a tire and I have a friend who could help me with a spare tire assembly under the frame.

I am a little concerned about the added weight for the tire and assembly. I am close to max for my unit (incl tow vehicle). I don't think the alum rim, only will weigh too much.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just realized that there are different rims maybe for each time (front .vs. outside dually .vs. inside dually, etc).

So, if I get a tire blowout, I don't think one spare rim will be able to replace every rim type I have, right? Even if it is temp till I get back home?

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be it a blow out, rapid air loss, picked up a nail or whatever, being on the side of the road you are not in a position to shop around for either an exact match tire or even one with a reasonable birth date. Same for a replacement rim.

As long as the tire stays on the rim you should be OK with just replacing the tire. If the rim contacts the road and the bead is damaged, well you'll have a nice new fire ring for the homestead. Getting a replacement rim and tire via your ERMS isn't difficult. Might take a bit longer then just a tire but the tire service shops usually have them on hand or know where to get one. Don't expect them to bring you a nice polished Alcoa rim but what they have will get you off the side of the road and on to your destination.

Having a mounted spare is optional but you have to consider the space it takes up and how much the assembly weights. A 19.5 inch tire might be workable but a 22.5 can weigh over 100 pounds. An unmounted spare might be your best option to have on hand but you have to consider even in a storage compartment they do age, be it at a much slower rate and you should consider replacement at sometime in the rigs life cycle.

My one flat was a rapid air loss that had I had a TPMS it would have reported the problem (failed valve stem seal). Ate the tire getting off the road and limping to a safe area. ERMS had a mobile tire service on site in about 90 minutes and I had a fairly young Goodyear tire to match the one year old Kelly's that are on the coach. Also the Kelly tires cost me about $275 or so a piece. The side of the road Goodyear was $500. Four years later still have one Goodyear and five Kelly's.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Be it a blow out, rapid air loss, picked up a nail or whatever, being on the side of the road you are not in a position to shop around for either an exact match tire or even one with a reasonable birth date. Same for a replacement rim.

As long as the tire stays on the rim you should be OK with just replacing the tire. If the rim contacts the road and the bead is damaged, well you'll have a nice new fire ring for the homestead. Getting a replacement rim and tire via your ERMS isn't difficult. Might take a bit longer then just a tire but the tire service shops usually have them on hand or know where to get one. Don't expect them to bring you a nice polished Alcoa rim but what they have will get you off the side of the road and on to your destination.

Having a mounted spare is optional but you have to consider the space it takes up and how much the assembly weights. A 19.5 inch tire might be workable but a 22.5 can weigh over 100 pounds. An unmounted spare might be your best option to have on hand but you have to consider even in a storage compartment they do age, be it at a much slower rate and you should consider replacement at sometime in the rigs life cycle.

My one flat was a rapid air loss that had I had a TPMS it would have reported the problem (failed valve stem seal). Ate the tire getting off the road and limping to a safe area. ERMS had a mobile tire service on site in about 90 minutes and I had a fairly young Goodyear tire to match the one year old Kelly's that are on the coach. Also the Kelly tires cost me about $275 or so a piece. The side of the road Goodyear was $500. Four years later still have one Goodyear and five Kelly's.
How much did the Insurance pay if you had it and don't mind sharing?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdecastra View Post
Thanks for everyone's ideas! I am new, but have done a lot of research here for 'how to prevent' tire blowouts (swaybars, tpms, tire pressure, etc.).
So far, I have heard that I will likely loose my rim (if I have bad luck). My guess is it will likely be a 'road hazard' kind of event. My gut says "do not risk the tire age issue".
Based on that, I think I will buy a alum rim, which I might could store somewhere in a bay. If I loose a inside dually, I will use the alum and replace with steel at my convenience. I think my roadside insurance will pay to have a tire mount done on my rim, and then mount on rig in place, without tow. All I have to do is tell them what kind of tire to bring.
I also can add a tire and I have a friend who could help me with a spare tire assembly under the frame.
I am a little concerned about the added weight for the tire and assembly. I am close to max for my unit (incl tow vehicle). I don't think the alum rim, only will weigh too much.
mdecastra
I don't think the wheel studs are long enough to use an aluminum wheel in place of a steel wheel.

Since you have 2 steel wheels and 4 aluminum wheels on your coach I suggest you either:
1.) Carry both a steel wheel and an aluminum wheel.
2.) Carry an "unmounted spare tire", (which can be used on either a steel wheel or an aluminum wheel).
3.) Stop worrying about what "might happen" and simply carry your Coachnet ERS card and a credit card, (to pay for fixing whatever fails, breaks or blows out).
BTW, me thinks you might change your opinion pf Michelin tires if you research "Michelin side wall cracks" here on iRV2.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
About 2 years ago, I had a blowout on the right rear, inside duals. The tire shredded the storage compartment, directly in front of the duals. I carry a spare (tire only) and have Good Sam, Road Service.

I was doing about 50-55mph and didn't have any trouble getting to the side of I-75 and getting stopped. Good Sam sent a tire service company out. The service guy took off both rear tires and replaced the blown tire, with my spare, all within a two hour period. My aluminum rim, was not damaged.

I had to rope up the damaged pieces of fender and storage compartment, so they wouldn't drag on the ground, but I made the 100 mile trip home with no further trouble. Except for replacing my tires and my deductible, Good Sam paid for all the damages (about $2,000), to my MH, including replacing the storage compartment and painting any outside paint damage.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Unless its a front tire your rim in most cases will be fine ( You have duals right?) the other tire will support the load without the rim hitting the ground until you pull off the road. Ive had a few flats / blow outs in 26 years and over a Million miles truck driving and NEVER had a rim damaged.
On carrying a spare I'd ask how common is the tire size on your rig ? call a couple truck tire service centers and inquire if they have it. Carrying an expensive tire your never going to use that really needs to be tossed with the others in 6-7 years doesn't make sense to me. sure I'll pay a little more roadside IF I ever need to , but if I don't in 6 years I'm money ahead! If you pay attention to your tires Flats are rare. All My flats were recaps my company uses for drive tires. 5 blowouts/ flats on recaps in a million miles ... whats your chances of having one ?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote