Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #1

Blue Book Trade In Value

Hello, just wanting to bounce something off everyone. I took my MH in and spoke to the dealer about trading it in for a MH I saw on their lot. The salesman told me what he would give me for my MH. I was extremely offended. The offer he gave me was $15,000 below Blue Book Value. Is this normal or am I wrong for felling like I would be ripped off? Any feedback would be very appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just argue. He's expecting you to.

How To Get the Most for your Used RV, preparing your RV for the best price.

read that, it will help

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
And another thought - OF COURSE YOU'RE BEING RIPPED OFF BUT you weren't born yesterday.. so negotiate like crazy, command him to dig in on the deal and get you what you want.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny8765 View Post
Hello, just wanting to bounce something off everyone. I took my MH in and spoke to the dealer about trading it in for a MH I saw on their lot. The salesman told me what he would give me for my MH. I was extremely offended. The offer he gave me was $15,000 below Blue Book Value. Is this normal or am I wrong for felling like I would be ripped off? Any feedback would be very appreciated. Thanks

It is pretty much just like buying a car; you are negotiating the 'difference' in price between the new and the old. The salesman may have offered you what he would give you for yours based on an already negotiated lower price on the new coach.

The bottom line for me was this, I figured what I would be willing to pay and offered that to the salesman. The DW and I were prepared to and actually did leave the lot after the salesman said no. They called us an hour later...

You will always do better dollar wise selling your own, but that takes time and patience. It's all about what the bottom line is worth to you!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have said, you need to look at the whole deal, not just the trade in value. Our Challenger was priced at $139,000 at one dealer and they offered us $75,000 on our trade (a very good price). Another dealer offered us the identical Challenger for $106,000 but only offered $50,000 on the trade. Guess which dealer we went with?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

Duh, you're going to pay less than book value. You are looking at "retail" value. That is the value that a consumer buys a product at. The dealer wants to buy it at wholesale. That is so they can make a profit. If they didn't make a profit, they wouldn't be in business. Business is making profit.

You are paid less for many reasons: for them to make their profit, for the convenience of it selling quickly, for the convenience of you not having to do all the transfers.

If no one likes doing that, they can sell it themselves, perform the work themselves, and wait longer.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #7

they have to get your trade in at a low enough price they can sell it and make money off it. they can't do that if they give you book value. you can sell it yourself and deal with every tom, dick and harry who are just window shopping or may one day want an rv and want to look at yours. or as I read on here are looking at as many as they can before they ever even consider getting serious to buy. tire kickers are every where but serious buyers are few and far between. then when you finally get a buyer ready to buy they discover if your rv is more than 5 years old a bank will only lend 90% of wholesale and they will actually have to have money for a down payment. I've sold quite a few rv's and always laugh when people who show up driving a brand new car or truck can't come up with 5 or 10k for a down payment. you can try and deal with the dealer and get closer to what you want and be rid of your trade quick and easily or you can go through the hassle of having people waste your time and pick your rv apart time after time and sell it yourself. I myself would never trade in my rv and loose money, but then again I love the selling game...
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The actual value of your RV to a dealer is never more than it's wholesale value.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #9

two methods by dealers, book to book which means they give you book for your trade but you pay full book for theirs, = theirs is filled with all the money and and even what called the hold back monies. or 10 to 15% back of low retail for your trade which is in the "wholesale" money area and they come down to a lower number for the new unit. Simply you can ask for more and they move a bit and still make a nice profit on both, there it is the "secret" of the deal...
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are in business for one reason, to make $$$$$.
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, just like our neighbor here in the park. He said "our Zephyr is worth $375,000" (2010 w/14K). I just thought to myself you better look at the wholesale book for value on trade not retail. Sure enough they finally worked out a deal but the reality of it all finally set in. He didn't get anywhere near the $375. Don't know why they traded anyway. They never go anywhere but hey, it's there money.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote