Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Blue Ox Tow Bar

Hello,

I have been talking to Blue Ox about a potential problem with my Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. I noticed that the aluminum piece that connects to the 2" hitch connector tube was loose with a gap (Hopefully the attached image will show the gap).

I contacted Blue Ox about the situation, and they sent me a new hitch connector right away. They requested that I not use the tow bar until I installed the new connector hitch, and then return the old connector hitch for their review.

I received word from Blue Ox this week that the castle nut on the back had come loose some how, some way and could have potentially caused a real problem. They also said that I could not fix this because it requires a special tool to tighten the castle nut on the connector.

Anyway, Blue Ox provided excellent support in all of this for which we are quite thankful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue_Ox_AventaLX.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	101710  
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking the two I have for similar issues.
Another thing to add to the check list.
Did you notice the jap, or did you hear an unusual noise, when disconnecting?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

I really did not hear anything, but the gap really did bother me. Blue Ox said that it could have been caused from a tow bar that was not level. My tow bar is level, but I use a Ready Brake that gives me quite a long tow bar. I mentioned this to Blue Ox, but they did not respond to that theory. I have noticed going over some rough bridge abutments in Houston that it was like a whip back there going up and down as I pass from normal roadway to elevated sections.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

I'd be more inclined to think , incorrect torque applied during assembly, or no thread locker. If having the bars off level was the issue , you'd think that we'd have heard a lot more about similar problems with their product.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Roadmaster Falcon all terrain 6000 lb tow bar with the same issue that I removed and will take to Perry Rally next year for a rebuild. The nut inside the 2 inch square tube takes a special thin wall socket to Remove or tighten. I replaced it with a new Blue Ox Aventa LX 10,000 lb tow bar and will sell the Roadmaster after its rebuilt.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

I was just really impressed with how Blue Ox handled all of this. After I sent them the picture they immediately sent me a new connector without question. They only requested that I send them the old one back (postage paid) so they could see what the real problem was. Blue Ox stands behind their products which is really good to know. I am sticking with Blue Ox from this point forward that's for sure.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I just replaced that nut on another model Blue Ox towbar. There is no "special" nut on that assembly - it is comprised of a square nut and a standard nylon lock nut. The only special tool you need is a really long 1/2" extension bar or a long enough breaker bar. You have to start the bolt on the large square nut, tighten it a little bit to take the slop out, and then install and tighten the lock nut.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Roger I saw a video on how to rebuild a Blue Ox tow bar but I was disappointed that the tec did not give any torque values only said how it should feel. I know I could get by with that but had rather had the torque.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would have thought with my towed as heavy as it is, and as many miles as it has gone, mine would be loose, but thankfully it is tight.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a complete break down and parts list for the Aventa tow bar
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 Repair.pdf (852.3 KB, 324 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

My Aventa came with the coach when I bought so I have no idea how many miles it had on it. After about 20K miles and a trip to Alaska, I decided it was time for a rebuild so I packaged the whole assembly and sent it to Blueox. My major concern was the ball was stiff and seemed to be getting worse. Turns out, BO replaced the ball assembly due to a worn ball and rebuilt the rest of the bar back to new spec for under $200 and sent it back pre paid. See if you get that service from a Made in China device.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue happen this week with my tow bar and the separation. The tow bar is 6 years old with 32,000 towing miles on it and has always been serviced, In fact Last year it had its service done by BO at the Rally. The hitch connector is about $210 vs $800 for a new tow bar. I did find out thru some dealers that BO does offer a trade in and gives the dealer $150 credit for the old tow bar when you buy a new tow bar. I noticed the separation just when we were stopping for the night, unhooked car right away and called BO the next day.

Bob
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #13

Hi Bob,

Walt2137 gives us a good manual on the tow bar assembly. I would let BO handle it, but I would really like to have the tool (deep socket) to fix it if necessary. Please let us know how BO handles this one.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
does anyone have the BO Avail towbar. if I have to go the new towbar route I was looking at this model. it has some new features over the Aventa LX.

Tags
blue ox, tow