Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue Ox TruCenter (not strong as an Ox)

My trim function (adjust on the fly) part of the stabilizer is no longer working. Went back to the shop where I purchased and also installed and they said i'm about the 3rd one lately. This is a very high end shop and install was not the problem.

I have only 10,000 miles since the install a little more than 2 years ago. I told blue ox on the phone that I understand their 1 year "limited" warranty but also understood them to be a better company than to hide behind that for a product that has been used very little. I also have the 10,000 lb tow bar and had blue ox base plates on two vehicles.

They want me to send it back to them and pay $95 to look at it and $20 shipping to return it. Well the obvious next question was what happens if it can't be "fixed". Got no answer... So i'm assuming they will want me to purchase a new one which is not going to happen.

If i'm having to pay to uninstall and have them look at it and then pay to reinstall then I think I will be ordering the Safe T Plus with a longer warranty and just cut my losses.

VERY disappointed in Blue Ox. Rant over

So... next time you are driving and have the TruCenter try to adjust the steering and confirm that It still works. I still feel the tightness in the steering that it provides but in a blow out I'm not confident it is still doing it's job.

wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
So... next time you are driving and have the TruCenter try to adjust the steering and confirm that It still works. I still feel the tightness in the steering that it provides but in a blow out I'm not confident it is still doing it's job.
If you order the Safe-t-Plus, be sure and get the Trim Adjustment module for it from Hendersons Alignment. That makes the STP adjust for road conditions, just like the Tru-center does. I've got it and really like the way it works.

super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrace3 View Post
My trim function (adjust on the fly) part of the stabilizer is no longer working. Went back to the shop where I purchased and also installed and they said i'm about the 3rd one lately. This is a very high end shop and install was not the problem.

I have only 10,000 miles since the install a little more than 2 years ago. I told blue ox on the phone that I understand their 1 year "limited" warranty but also understood them to be a better company than to hide behind that for a product that has been used very little. I also have the 10,000 lb tow bar and had blue ox base plates on two vehicles.

They want me to send it back to them and pay $95 to look at it and $20 shipping to return it. Well the obvious next question was what happens if it can't be "fixed". Got no answer... So i'm assuming they will want me to purchase a new one which is not going to happen.

If i'm having to pay to uninstall and have them look at it and then pay to reinstall then I think I will be ordering the Safe T Plus with a longer warranty and just cut my losses.

VERY disappointed in Blue Ox. Rant over

Sorry to hear of your Misfortune - but I've had my Blue Ox for 17 years over 150,000 miles and would not trade it for anything.

My beat if you send it in or go by on the way out west or east they will likely repair it gratis - JMHO,

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having. We will be happy to work with you and help in any way possible. Blue Ox has worked very hard to build and maintain the excellent Customer Service that we are known to provide.
Customers are our top priority along with providing quality product. We appreciate any suggestions or comments from our Blue Ox customers, who we look at as part of the Blue Ox family.
We will be happy to review all information, along with product, and work with you for the best possible solution. Please contact any of our customer relations reps at 800-228-9289 so that we can work through this issue and come to a positive conclusion.
We look forward to your response.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ox View Post
We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having. We will be happy to work with you and help in any way possible. Blue Ox has worked very hard to build and maintain the excellent Customer Service that we are known to provide.
Customers are our top priority along with providing quality product. We appreciate any suggestions or comments from our Blue Ox customers, who we look at as part of the Blue Ox family.
We will be happy to review all information, along with product, and work with you for the best possible solution. Please contact any of our customer relations reps at 800-228-9289 so that we can work through this issue and come to a positive conclusion.
This is a good response and keeps my faith that I made the right choice when I went with your products. I hope you can resolve this favorably for the OP.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Good luck. Mine went out last year. Blue Ox response was tough, buy a new one!
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The exact same thing happened to me. It worked great right after it was first installed by my chassis shop. Then about 15 months later while on my way to Alaska I noticed it had stopped working.

I adjusted my return trip in the fall to the lower 48 so I could stop at the Blue Ox shop in NE to have them check why the trim adjustment was not working. They removed the unit and went to the shop. When they came back to their campground where I was parked and said that they had good news and bad news. They had freed up the solenoid so the trim was now working BUT when they tested both sides of the hydraulic cylinder one side was not functioning. So my only recourse was to purchase a new cylinder. They discounted a new total package unit down to about $800 as I didn't need all of the other stuff.

I also had them drill some air vents into the solenoid cover so that any moisture that gets inside will evaporate instead of being trapped inside the cover. I believe that's what corrodes the solenoid in the first place preventing it from operating correctly.

If it were me since I have heard and read about way TOO many failures with the Blue Ox Tru-Center, I would put my money into the Safe-T-Plus and the Henderson Trim Kit versus throwing more money at the Tru-Center.

That's what I intend on doing when this Tru-Center unit finally fails. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If you do an IRV2 search, you will see a number of posts regarding TruCenter problems including mine that was just revived by another member:

TruCenter Solenoid Problems with Pics!

I recently checked mine and no click. I'm headed from NJ to WY next week so have an appointment in Pender, NE on July 6 for Blue Ox to take a look at it. We'll see what remedy they propose!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I chose Safe T Plus for the simplicity and they now come with a Life Time warranty. Install was easy and works well, 1/2 the price
Old 06-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

I guess it would be easy enough to test, by making big adjustments left and right to make sure that the tug is still there.

Blue ox do you have a revision for these common issues? Are these common issues?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ox View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. We have been on the road. I will AGAIN call later this week and see what you guys come up with.

Your above comment sounds verbatim to what I was asking the gentleman that I spoke with the first time.
1. Aren't you guys supposed to be the best ????? His response.. sorry your "limited" warranty has expired.
2. So this is the type of product you produce and I should not expect more than a couple years light use ??? His response... sorry this is all I can offer since your "limited" warranty has expired.

I have had multiple items replaced from different companies outside of warranty because the company stands behind their product and doesn't hide behind a 1 year "limited" warranty. I'm not asking for replacement 5 years after purchase we just got the dang thing a couple years ago.

Time and a phone call will tell all....
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Don't hold your breath and don't waste anymore money on the Blue-Ox Tru-Center.

Invest in a proven one that has better reliability better customer service and also has a modification for any trim adjustment.

It's called Safe-T-plus with the Henderson Trim Adjustment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #13

Glad I caught this post. When we bought our 2014 Winnebago Forza new I considered the Safe-T-Plus. The owner of a local RV repair facility had several he had removed and advised against it. Now, with the advent of an adjustable in cab control I may bite.

I had strongly considered the BLUEOX control, while expensive, the "hype" of it's superior control and adjustability interested me to the point where the next Rally they were being installed I was going to purchase one. Response from actual owner/users has negated that thought.

I have the BLUEOX Patriot braking unit, tow bar, drop receiver and base
plate as they seem to be reputed to be number one in customer service. NOTHING takes the place of actual owner experiences. Fool me once.....

Tags
blue ox