Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Boat Launching

Does any one launch a boat with their coach. I have a 91 Southwind 33' gasser and a 23' Wellcraft boat. Just seems like trying to make the turn around down on the ramp the coach would want to tip over.
Bcollier9253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #2

I used to pull a 20 foot bass boat with a 34 foot motorhome to Lake Okeechobee,launching the boat was never a problem.I always turned around on flat ground before backing down ramp.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been doing so for many years. It all depends on the grade of the launch ramp. Some I turn around at the bottom, and others I have to back down.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #4

If you have a backup camera, backing is relatively easy. Just back down. I have backed my 20 ft Malibu into out relatively tight 90 degree driveway. Boat ramps were a snap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1188794823.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	46328  
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Being a 4000 lb boat I just didn't no if my 454 would pull it up the ramp,or any steep inclines for that matter
Bcollier9253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #6

I took my Jetskis to Summersville Lake in WV a few weeks ago behind my 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL. Was nervous about putting them in the water as there is not a lot of clearance in the rear with my coach, but it was a piece of cake. The trailer is really long and the rear of the coach never came close to the water.

Having a good spotter and rearview camera helps a lot too!!!
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A hitch on the front, makes it a piece of cake. Swap it over before you start down the ramp. My wife would drive a 32 MH with an 18 fT boat all over the parking lot, ramp and in to the garge.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Been launching a 23' boat behind my 37'motothome for years. Plan your turns. Like started above I usually turn around at the bottom of the ramp when possible.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
There was a blog where a 40' MH was backing a boat into the water and the drive wheels hit the slime, and the MH ended up with just the front end sticking out of the water. The front hitch seems like as good idea. Be careful. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner

There have been some days that if I didn't have 4WD on my Dakota, there would be no way I could pull my 22ft pontoon boat out of the ramp. I've seen lots of people smoke the tires on the slime until they got traction enough to get out of the ramp and they were white with fear when they made it.

Granted there should be enough space between the slime and your drive tires most of the time, but, you have to be careful. If you hit that stuff, it's over. That would ruin your day.

If you are launching at a dry ramp, not too steep and not too much weight on the trailer, then you should be fine. Otherwise, exercise some extra caution.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for some help. More than once I have been asked to load or launch a stranger's boat at the ramp because they either showed up with the wrong tow vehicle for the conditions or the conditions changed since they launched on a dry ramp in the morning. Slipping them a fin is a nice way to say thanks too. I wouldn't take it, but you never know!

Pay it forward everyone. You never know when that good karma might be needed.

Safe travels all!
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote