Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TwelveVolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

As we indicated earlier, water is the main destroyer of RVs. So are you still going to consider a water damaged coach?
Dolphin, a very good question. Where are the coaches without water damage?

As I look at inventory in South Florida near the end of monsoon season, I am amazed at how many are just sitting on dealers' lots with daily downpours forcing water into the cracks and nobody seems to care enough to get somebody on the roof with a caulking gun. It's as if they have given up on the RV business, or water damage is simply not on their radar. A couple had remnants of small rivers flowing down walls and across counters and floors. It was only my scientific curiosity that prevented me from turning around immediately. Others have mold and rot along inside edges of cabinets that the owners probably never noticed because they were filled with stuff. It is impossible to tell just how much water got beyond these visible points and continued downward. These are not junkyard coaches, but fairly recent premium models. Perhaps this is how the surplus of RVs on the market gets adjusted through attrition.
__________________

__________________
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Dolphin, a very good question. Where are the coaches without water damage?

As I look at inventory in South Florida near the end of monsoon season, I am amazed at how many are just sitting on dealers' lots with daily downpours forcing water into the cracks and nobody seems to care enough to get somebody on the roof with a caulking gun. It's as if they have given up on the RV business, or water damage is simply not on their radar. A couple had remnants of small rivers flowing down walls and across counters and floors. It was only my scientific curiosity that prevented me from turning around immediately. Others have mold and rot along inside edges of cabinets that the owners probably never noticed because they were filled with stuff. It is impossible to tell just how much water got beyond these visible points and continued downward. These are not junkyard coaches, but fairly recent premium models. Perhaps this is how the surplus of RVs on the market gets adjusted through attrition.
You can bet the dealers are aware of the situation. In the case of coaches they've taken in trade, I think it a safe bet to say they've devalued the coach when appraising it? Now, they wait in prey for somebody not aware of the issues....

I hope they die right there on their lots, but the problem is many won't...

Clean coaches are out there. It does take patience to track them down, and while doing that you'll likely learn there are some coaches that are more likely to have issues than others due to the way they're built. Stay at it, keep asking questions, and you'll run across the one you can't get out of your head soon enough... -Al
__________________

__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,116
We took the better part of 2 years to find a coach we wanted to upgrade to. We were in no big hurry (obviously) but we looked at a lot of coaches in Mi and Fl.

We avoided dealers and went to private owners. The best ones were the ones used every year and well maintained because of that and the ones wanting to upgrade their coach.

The first RV we bought was from a guy down the road. He used it all summer long to go to tractor shows. We had it 6 years and never a problem.

We did look on dealer and used RV lots. We also left many of them our phone number so they could call us if they got one in that had what we wanted. You will pay a premium, but if you have time constraints, it could work out. There are a lot of great used RVs out there, just not always easy to find.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
TwelveVolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
The first RV we bought was from a guy down the road. He used it all summer long to go to tractor shows. We had it 6 years and never a problem.
Could you share some points on how you did the private transaction to ensure that all liens were disclosed and satisfied?

Thanks
__________________
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,116
He had a clear title, no leans. He had one at one point, but the lien holder had signed off the title already and he had a notorized letter to the effect also. I've bought and sold many vehicles over the years with liens, it's never been a major problem.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Could you share some points on how you did the private transaction to ensure that all liens were disclosed and satisfied?

Thanks
But usually banks/lienholders will also hold the actual title. If you only get a copy, you are probably dealing with a 'dirty' vehicle that has loans out on it.

Not sure what that has to do with water damaged RVs though.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
TwelveVolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181

But usually banks/lienholders will also hold the actual title. If you only get a copy, you are probably dealing with a 'dirty' vehicle that has loans out on it.

Not sure what that has to do with water damaged RVs though.
Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was how do you determine if someone who repaired the DRY ROT in an RV still holds a lien against the vehicle. I thought that was clearly implied :-)
__________________
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was how do you determine if someone who repaired the DRY ROT in an RV still holds a lien against the vehicle. I thought that was clearly implied :-)
What makes you think somebody doing a repair like this might place a lien on the title? Looking at the title for evidence of rot repair is likely not a particularly good use of one's time. Looking for a lien of any kind would be part of a good plan?
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
TwelveVolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks

What makes you think somebody doing a repair like this might place a lien on the title? Looking at the title for evidence of rot repair is likely not a particularly good use of one's time. Looking for a lien of any kind would be part of a good plan?
Perhaps I should have used a ;-) instead of the :-)

However, anybody doing work on a vehicle can place a mechanic's lien on it if they have not been paid. By all accounts above, rot repair is an expensive proposition.
__________________
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Member
 
sfdladder11's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 71
Has anyone had rotting problems with Damon Daybreak? We have a 2009 that has just been diagnosed with a rotting slide. The initial estimate is over 25 hours of shop time. Does anyone know of any other options for us? (ie legal actions)
__________________
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Have you spoken with the factory? Regarding the 25 hours, too many variables to even comment. Would need pics & more info.
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
Member
 
sfdladder11's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 71
Got it repaired. $3500
__________________

__________________
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.