Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

As we indicated earlier, water is the main destroyer of RVs. So are you still going to consider a water damaged coach?
Dolphin, a very good question. Where are the coaches without water damage?

As I look at inventory in South Florida near the end of monsoon season, I am amazed at how many are just sitting on dealers' lots with daily downpours forcing water into the cracks and nobody seems to care enough to get somebody on the roof with a caulking gun. It's as if they have given up on the RV business, or water damage is simply not on their radar. A couple had remnants of small rivers flowing down walls and across counters and floors. It was only my scientific curiosity that prevented me from turning around immediately. Others have mold and rot along inside edges of cabinets that the owners probably never noticed because they were filled with stuff. It is impossible to tell just how much water got beyond these visible points and continued downward. These are not junkyard coaches, but fairly recent premium models. Perhaps this is how the surplus of RVs on the market gets adjusted through attrition.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Dolphin, a very good question. Where are the coaches without water damage?

As I look at inventory in South Florida near the end of monsoon season, I am amazed at how many are just sitting on dealers' lots with daily downpours forcing water into the cracks and nobody seems to care enough to get somebody on the roof with a caulking gun. It's as if they have given up on the RV business, or water damage is simply not on their radar. A couple had remnants of small rivers flowing down walls and across counters and floors. It was only my scientific curiosity that prevented me from turning around immediately. Others have mold and rot along inside edges of cabinets that the owners probably never noticed because they were filled with stuff. It is impossible to tell just how much water got beyond these visible points and continued downward. These are not junkyard coaches, but fairly recent premium models. Perhaps this is how the surplus of RVs on the market gets adjusted through attrition.
You can bet the dealers are aware of the situation. In the case of coaches they've taken in trade, I think it a safe bet to say they've devalued the coach when appraising it? Now, they wait in prey for somebody not aware of the issues....

I hope they die right there on their lots, but the problem is many won't...

Clean coaches are out there. It does take patience to track them down, and while doing that you'll likely learn there are some coaches that are more likely to have issues than others due to the way they're built. Stay at it, keep asking questions, and you'll run across the one you can't get out of your head soon enough... -Al

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We took the better part of 2 years to find a coach we wanted to upgrade to. We were in no big hurry (obviously) but we looked at a lot of coaches in Mi and Fl.

We avoided dealers and went to private owners. The best ones were the ones used every year and well maintained because of that and the ones wanting to upgrade their coach.

The first RV we bought was from a guy down the road. He used it all summer long to go to tractor shows. We had it 6 years and never a problem.

We did look on dealer and used RV lots. We also left many of them our phone number so they could call us if they got one in that had what we wanted. You will pay a premium, but if you have time constraints, it could work out. There are a lot of great used RVs out there, just not always easy to find.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
The first RV we bought was from a guy down the road. He used it all summer long to go to tractor shows. We had it 6 years and never a problem.
Could you share some points on how you did the private transaction to ensure that all liens were disclosed and satisfied?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
He had a clear title, no leans. He had one at one point, but the lien holder had signed off the title already and he had a notorized letter to the effect also. I've bought and sold many vehicles over the years with liens, it's never been a major problem.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Could you share some points on how you did the private transaction to ensure that all liens were disclosed and satisfied?

Thanks
But usually banks/lienholders will also hold the actual title. If you only get a copy, you are probably dealing with a 'dirty' vehicle that has loans out on it.

Not sure what that has to do with water damaged RVs though.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181

But usually banks/lienholders will also hold the actual title. If you only get a copy, you are probably dealing with a 'dirty' vehicle that has loans out on it.

Not sure what that has to do with water damaged RVs though.
Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was how do you determine if someone who repaired the DRY ROT in an RV still holds a lien against the vehicle. I thought that was clearly implied :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was how do you determine if someone who repaired the DRY ROT in an RV still holds a lien against the vehicle. I thought that was clearly implied :-)
What makes you think somebody doing a repair like this might place a lien on the title? Looking at the title for evidence of rot repair is likely not a particularly good use of one's time. Looking for a lien of any kind would be part of a good plan?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks

What makes you think somebody doing a repair like this might place a lien on the title? Looking at the title for evidence of rot repair is likely not a particularly good use of one's time. Looking for a lien of any kind would be part of a good plan?
Perhaps I should have used a ;-) instead of the :-)

However, anybody doing work on a vehicle can place a mechanic's lien on it if they have not been paid. By all accounts above, rot repair is an expensive proposition.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone had rotting problems with Damon Daybreak? We have a 2009 that has just been diagnosed with a rotting slide. The initial estimate is over 25 hours of shop time. Does anyone know of any other options for us? (ie legal actions)
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #25

Have you spoken with the factory? Regarding the 25 hours, too many variables to even comment. Would need pics & more info.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Got it repaired. $3500