Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Body Roll Help

After a summer of renovations, I now have my 85 Vogue back on the road. I uploaded some before and after pics.

First camping trip last weekend. All was good, but I feel I now need to seriously address the body roll I experience.

I have solid bushings and steering, shocks just a couple years old, air bags all around. But I feel like a ship traveling down the road, and feel a definite tilt out on turns.

I believe from research that steering stabilizers and sway bars could make a dramatic improvement.

Problem is my camper is older and pretty rare. It is a diesel pusher on a Crown Chassis. I believe I can find a steering stabilizer, but the sway bar is a little more difficult. I thought that I might be able to get something used from a old bus.

Is it possible to improve the ride by tuning the airbags?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	141206  

JSutton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check the plumbing on the airbags. If they are plumbed as one valve for the rear and one valve for the front, then you will experience body roll since any pressure on one bag will transfer pressure to the opposite bag.

They should each be on a separate circuit isolated by an independent valve.

Otherwise sway bars would be your best choice if they are already independent. You could retrofit most any properly sized sway bar.

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G -> 06 Rubicon LJ
Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
Team 065 and 0232 "De Opresso Liber"
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
I have two valves in the front. One in the back. Was thinking of putting two in the back and create an "active air system" (without the computer).

Think that would help?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
I would do some research on motion control units. There are a lot of posts here on iRV2. They basically slow down the air going in and out of the bags. They made a big difference on my coach.

An aftermarket sway bar would make a big difference if you don't already have one.

I would call these people, Supersteer Products | Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc.

They did an alinement on my coach and seam to know a lot about suspension and handling problems.

'03 Country Coach Intrigue 36'
Cummins ISL 400
TR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
This may help. Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by JSutton1 View Post
I have two valves in the front. One in the back. Was thinking of putting two in the back and create an "active air system" (without the computer).

Think that would help?
Each bag definitely needs to be isolated - that should help some.
Another thing to look at would be the distance the bags are from the wheels and each other, if they are are not closer to the wheel than they are to each other, then the chassis will just naturally have more roll. a sway bar is your best bet if this in the case.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G -> 06 Rubicon LJ
Mechanical and Electrical Engineer
Team 065 and 0232 "De Opresso Liber"
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
J Sutton not sure about the sway bars but that is a cool looking RV! Nice job! Regards
2009 Monaco Camelot 425 HP cunmins ISL 40QDP
Toad- 2011 ford- flex tow 4 wheel down
rvadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Thanks for the compliment!

I was going to try Super Steer Motion Control Units on the rear (I think that's the week area right now). But the dam things are the size of two cigars, cost $205, then they want to rape me for $30 shipping, Ground. Mad is the USA, but way over price for a baffle.

Instead I was thinking of adding a second level valve in the rear and separating the right and left bags.

1. Is there any negative effects of having four leveling valves? Such as the front and rear fighting each other?

2. Is there any chance that I could experience a type of active control buy just using leveling valves? The computer systems are going to be too much.

Thanks Jim
Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
I'll also say what a sweet looking rolling classic - salute!

On our 04 CC, I had Motion Control Units front and rear. And they helped. But, on a lark and trying to help the local Junction City economy, I went ahead and changed them out to the Source Engineering Check Valve. (I was having their KISS Wax Control Valve for the cooling fan installed, so was in the shop.) The SS MCU's restrict air in both direction. The SE Check Valve only restricts the air in one direction. So while the SS MCU's were an improvement on faster 'resetting' of the suspension when shifting load weights/curves from one side to the other. The SE valves allowed faster 'setting' as the air was not restricted when it needed to move as fast as possible to a bag under load. (Probably did not say that well. But call and talk with the SE gang, and they'll do a better jog of describing the differences between these two kinds of check valves.)

On you other handling options. Sure, talk with Henderson's Lineup - very possible they may have some suggestions for you. You might also call and talk to Roadmaster as I believe they bought IPD. They could have a sway bar for too.

And another suggestion. Does the coach already have sway bars? And if so, could you upgrade the rubber bushings to poly bushings? That made a difference on our much smaller F53 18K chassis, the change over to poly bushings.

And yeah, for a price, sway bars could be made custom if needed. If it is the 'She's about to tip over feeling!' (My wife hated that so much, that she authorized throwing money and suspension upgrades!), I too believe Sway Bars enhancements and or additions would yield the biggest results.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy that nice rig,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Though it doesn't look like an issue in the pictures, a coach set up using low air bag pressure will definitely wallow more than one on a stiff set of airbags.

Ours has the older 2 in the front, 1 in the back arrangement as well. Though it did take a few thousand miles to get used to it ours, it really isn't that bad in normal conditions (like passing or being passed by a truck). Where things get interesting is on treks across 80 or 90 with a lot of side wind. Most recent trip with winds 25-35 gusting to 50 - for nearly our entire 3 day ride still fresh in the memory banks.

I've often wondered if the side wind resistance could be increased by re-plumbing that system to a 2 in the back/1 in the front or 4 load sensor setup. Logic for 2 in the back includes the fact the rear axle is supporting 65% of the coach's weight, and presents the lions share of side area to the wind.

Thought about the weight/pressure distribution for the 4 corner thing as well. My thought is using 4 corner weights to help arrive at optimum ride height adjustments - obviously drive shaft angle to come into play as well. Set it so it looks about right, and get some corner weights to see how you did. Adjust sensors and reweigh as necessary.

The plan would be to avoid diagonally high/low weights (major twist), while maintaining drive line level.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote