Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Body sealant suggestions

Performing some preventive maintenance on the exterior body and noticed some of the sealant that runs on the body alongside the seams of the trim areas is starting to deteriorate. It looks like a clear caulk of kind maybe silicone. I would like to clean off what is there and apply new. It not sure what to use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd hope it's not silicone because when it fails,(not if) nothing will stick to the seam until all the silicone is removed, an almost impossible task. You might check with Thor and see what they used originally.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
There is siliconized caulk, GE 100% Silicone I caulk and
GE 100% Silicone II caulk.
Siliconized caulk has a percentage of silicone.
GE 100% Silicone I, sticks well to some things, poorly to others.
The GE 100% Silicone II sticks to nearly everything and lasts forever,
in my experience over many years. That is my $ 0.02
Old 10-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used LEXAL clear caulk for many years, adheres to everything,including your fingers, so be carefull, laquer thinner will get it off your fingers,not much else will. Much better than any type of silicone IMHO.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for a similar thread over in the owners section under bounder. one of the members, WOODYDEL (spelling?) over there knows what the factories use and he found it much cheaper under a different brand name at home depot. DO NOT USE SILICONE.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sorry, not bounder area, it was under fleetwood.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heres a quote from the fleetwood forum and he explained the stuff.

"I used a new antenna. Making a hole in your roof will not make it leak. The hole is 1/2" and only because the connector supplied is L shaped (jerks). Makes for a bigger hole to push it through. I removed the paper on the bottom of the antenna. Can't glue it down with paper in the way. Used double sided 3M commercial tape to secure it to the fiberglass. Trimmed around the edges to keep it neat before sticking it down on the roof. Left nothing sticking out to interfere with the caulk around the perimeter of the antenna.

By the way, the caulk is OSI QUAD. I called Fleetwood parts and two tubes of the caulk they wanted to sell did not total $25 and they wanted charge me a $5 penalty fee. Like heck. Got the part numbers and after a couple calls to our friends at customer service found out the manufacturer. Henkel is the name. They make Loctite. Called Henkel to find out info about the caulk in the industrial division. The numbers are not used any longer by Henkel. Reason being, the product is now a consumer product sold under the name Loctite QUAD and in Canada LEPAGE QUAD. Found the Loctite Quad on Amazon but also noticed they used the name OSI in the description. Called back Henkel. They told me the OTHER name for the product is OSI QUAD. Guess where you buy it for $6.50......Home Depot. Exactly the same multi polymer product and absolutely clear. All of this because it bugged me to pay a $5 penalty fee. The product from Amazon is a version which is called INVISIBLE. Cost me $8.20 a tube...You can see through this clearly even inside the tube.

Anyway after all that description of caulk, you won't get a leak by installing an XM antenna."
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the link,
OSI 9.5 fl. oz. Clear QUAD Invisible All Season Sealant-1896952 - The Home Depot
Old 10-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Geocel is what my manufacturer uses. It is clear, and will adhere to existing sealant. It is waterproof as soon as applied. Not cheap, but worth every penny. A bit challenging to work with as it is thick and you have to work quickly, but the soapy water trick to smooth it down with your finger works wonders.

The technician gave me the following instructions: Make sure to clean the surface before applying. If you can remove the old sealant, that is even better. You can use mineral spirits to help loosen it some, but be careful because it may remove your paint. Clean with alcohol afterwards, and before applying Geocel. Work quickly and make sure to make the smallest hole possible in the tube. Make sure to push it down into the crevices. It shrinks a bit after it dries.

Geocel 2300 MHRV (Clear). It comes in a purple and silver container ready to load in a standard caulking gun.

I was able to do my entire coach alone over the course of two days. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have used the Geocell product quite successfully. Camping World and many RV dealers carry ProFlexRV by Geocell. The product has a short shelf life, which I discovered when I saved an unopened tube and tried to use it the following year.

My experience with Geocell is that it goes on clear, and if left unpainted, yellows after a couple of years in the sun.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OSI QUAD will not yellow. crystal clear after 3 years.

Tags
seal