Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

Bogus Motorhome Classifieds

Several times a week, an ad pops up on IRV2 for Class A Diesel Pushers of various brands, 4-6 years old, low mileage for ridiculous prices usually in the $30K range.

I always report them to the moderator since they're clearly some sort of scam and they are quickly removed.

Just for information and to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone know what this scam is all about? Has anyone responded to one of these posts?

jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jm
Yes I have replied to one of these adds. After several phones calls the guy wants my number to call me as hes far to busy to sit and take calls all day. When I asked questions about the mh he did not have a clue . He refused to give me a vin number so I could check for the reports on the unit . So all in all I backed of and reported it. The same mh and a different ad came up next week in a different state.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They usually obtain photos from the internet and a description. Then they post a bogus low price to get people engaged hoping to make a score on an uninformed sucker.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

The old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" applies here. Occasionally you may find a good deal on an RV where the owner has become ill or passed and the family just needs to sell, but those deals go fast and it's easy to tell they are legit. Usually the scammers will put you off and tell you the RV is in another state but they'll deliver it if you send them some money. You can guess the rest of the story.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

I'm perplexed by your post. In one sentence you state the ad is "clearly a scam" yet in another you admit you don't know what the scam is, and you've not contacted the poster to even find out the details.

Not everyone has huge loans on their rv's, many put a huge down and others pay in full so selling quickly might just be a priority. I can think of a few reasons why there might be a six year old DP for sale at a great price;
Estate Sale - owner passes and heirs need to get rid of quickly to settle the estate
Change of financial status such as loosing a job, luxury items need to go quickly
Divorce - liquidating assets, sometimes cheap so the other half gets very little
Coming into a large sum of money, get rid of the old quickly so one can get the larger more expensive one now

If I don't know for sure that something is a scam I don't bother to see that an ad gets taken down. I don't know the circumstances of the posting party and it would be unfair to assume that every good deal is a scam. On the other hand if I know for a fact that an ad is a scam I'll report it.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

$33,000 for a four year old Diesel Pusher with 20,000 miles is clearly a scam. I was just wondering how it works. How do they plan to rip someone off?

My idea was to lay out the scheme so that our members could avoid getting ripped off.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

This scam happens a lot on craigslist. It's usually a nice car or motorcycle selling really cheap. My niece almost fell for it even after telling her that is was a scam. She didn't want to believe it because she really like the car and it was cheap. She went back and forth with the scammer until money was requested. I can't remember the exact details, but it was something about a deposit to hold it for her because there was another person very interested. You'll know it is a scam because it's too good to be true and you will never get to meet the person or see the vehicle. They'll even send you a good VIN.

Caveat Emptor!
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
$33,000 for a four year old Diesel Pusher with 20,000 miles is clearly a scam. I was just wondering how it works. How do they plan to rip someone off?

My idea was to lay out the scheme so that our members could avoid getting ripped off.
There is another one when you are trying to sell. It's usually someone from out of State or overseas. Something to do with them sending you a fake check for way more than the down payment or price you are selling. They then ask you to send them the difference. A lot of thieves out there.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I figured the plan was to ask for a deposit at some point and that would be the last you'd see of your money.

I actually know a guy who lost a $60k Corvette on the bad check scam. Transporter picked the car up, gave him a bank check, three days later bank said "Too Bad, check is fake!" Car was long gone.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Thanks for the input. I figured the plan was to ask for a deposit at some point and that would be the last you'd see of your money.

I actually know a guy who lost a $60k Corvette on the bad check scam. Transporter picked the car up, gave him a bank check, three days later bank said "Too Bad, check is fake!" Car was long gone.
I have bought and sold a few cars on ebay and I always call the bank listed on the cashier's check to verify funds and then take it to my bank for verification before releasing the vehicle. When I sold my C5 corvette the guy that bought it acted very strange. Wanted to do weird arrangements and I finally told him to show up with cash. He actually drove from out of State, paid in cash, picked up the vette, and left his car parked on the road for two weeks. I noticed his car was gone one day so I figured he picked it up. When I sold my 66 Mustang I got a half dozen people from overseas wanting to buy it. All kind of funky proposals and I finally decided to sell it locally.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #11

just tell them you're currently out of the country and will pay them with a cashiers check and when the clears you will have your shippers pick up the said vehicle I also like to ask for their bank routing and account numbers so I can wire the money direct to them...

some are fishing for suckers dumb enough to send them money. the ones with no phone number and just a email address are usually just trying to get your email address to sell on a list.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #12

they will also try to make you feel comfortable by saying you can use paypal for payment. it will route you to a fake site that just gets your login and password then your account is cleaned out.. it must work form time to time they keep trying..
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
they will also try to make you feel comfortable by saying you can use paypal for payment. it will route you to a fake site that just gets your login and password then your account is cleaned out.. it must work form time to time they keep trying..
Had a similar paypal scam happen to me. I got an email "from paypal" saying there was a problem with my account. It looked legit with all of the logos, etc. I made the mistake of clicking on the log in button from the email, where it took me to "paypal" to log in. I typed my user ID and password and nothing happened. I quickly went into my real paypal account and changed the password. That was a close one!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Prior to my police retirement, I investigated a couple of the eBay scams. Hackers would get legit sales from places like Auto Trader, hack eBay car sellers, redirect email notifications, then post new sales with info taken from other sales sites. Hard to detect because even due diligence was hard since car information was accurate (just taken from another site), and seller had a good record (since they were real, but hacked).

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome