Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #1

Book values on older coaches way off reality

I may be getting an older class A coach in the next year or so. Hoping to find something in great shape, from the mid 1990s, made by Country Coach, or possibly Beaver, Monaco, or Foretravel. If I look at the NADA book value for a 1995 Country Coach, average retail is around $10000 to $12000. While I have seen one coach that I may have been able to purchase in this price range, most that I see are double or triple. What's up with that? I'm looking nationwide on craigslist, and finding very little that's anywhere near these "book" retail values. And I'm not even looking retail most of the time, mostly private seller.

Anyway, I haven't got the money together for a purchase yet, so I'm not currently able to buy, but when I do, I'm hoping to spend less than $20000, and I'd like it to be for a coach with a diesel genset, no slides, and preferably an 8.3 Cummins with 6 speed Allison. Once you get into the 2000s and newer, units without slides become harder and harder to find. I'd be fine with miles up to around 150k (with obvious good maintenance) but most have far less anyway. Only looking for side radiator coaches, as well. Just not sure if book value means anything at all...

Scott in Snowflake AZ
80sDweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #3

Remember, the RV is worth what someone will pay for it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At 20+ years in service BOTH values, NADA and seller's price, are not much use to a potential buyer. NADA has little if any actual sales data to base a potential value on so the number is more or less a formula drive depreciation. Call it a SWAG, Scientific Wild A__ Guess. Private owners will normally over value a coach hoping to get the highest return possible.

Either way once you get into something built last century a major factor for potential value to you as the buyer comes down to how well did the prior owner(s) maintain the coach. Each potential coach will need to be view, inspected and judged individually by you to determine what you are willing to spend against what the owner wants.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my searches it seems that NADA value has nothing to do with asking price.As said its worth whatever you'll pay for it.Some owners that have really maintained their coaches well value them more than NADA value.In most cases one that has been really well maintained is worth a little more than NADA.In my experience they are like classic cars,being valued more for condition and mileage than year and NADA.Anyway you pay your money and take your chances.Any older model is expected to have some issues,even if minor,and the need for updating.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #6

Another problem is NADA tends to clump way too much stuff together, using my own coach as an example. According to NADA all non-slide P32 chassis coaches under 30 ft long built between 1997 and 2002 are worth the same $15,105, it does not matter if they are a 1997 entry level Fleetwood Flair with an MSRP of $59,000 or a 2002 Safari Trek with an MSRP of $109,000. Worse yet this $15,105 value has not changed in at least 3 years.

Good luck finding a 2002 Safari Trek for NADA, I spent 5 months shopping for mine, ended up buying it from 1,100 miles away, paid over $20,000 for it and feel very lucky to have found it at that price (asking was $25,000).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #7

With older coaches , you have to take a close look at each one . Some are overpriced , and you will find some in such bad shape that you just have to walk away from. Don't let the high asking price keep you from looking at a coach. Once you look at it , make the seller an offer. I offered the seller 1/2 of his asking price , and he accepted the offer.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Agree with everything posted, above.

One other factor to include, the old stand-by "supply and demand." Older, quality built coaches are currently in high demand and buyers and sellers tend to know that. Prices have no relationship to NADA, only to condition and history. Should another economic collapse happen or should fuel prices skyrocket, you may find what you are looking for at a lower than NADA price, but under the present circumstances, the older coaches tend to hold their values much above NADA. There is a reason the coaches you have identified are advertised at 3X NADA values--the market forces are determining the prices, and those coaches are selling, though rarely do we find out the final prices.

As others have said, don't be afraid to make an offer on a coach that meets your requirements, regardless of the asking price.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of good advice here.

Last post touched on something that should be expanded on though.

Right now the economy is pretty strong. We are 10 years from the last major crash and gas prices are reasonable.

This means demand for RVs is pretty strong.

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the latest data shows the industry as a whole is growing pretty steadily, Class As and Cs are doing ok, but not as popular as in the past relative to Class Bs and Trailers which are growing faster due to rising popularity of urban camping and boondocking.

What this means to a potential buyer, in addition to considering your finances in light of the potential for another major crash, is that the industry could change pretty rapidly if a major economic event happened, and RVs are basically nonessential luxury goods, so the market is affected much more because its something people can choose to go without.

I wasn't involved with RVs during the last crash, but I do know that other similar luxury goods and services like Ski Condos, Vegas Hotels, High-end jewelry, classic cars, fine art, etc., all suffered major price crashes even larger than the broader economy which was also crashing. Luxury goods are the first things to lose value in a crisis.

So prices being pretty high might be a combination of buyers looking to get the most, as people have suggested, but it's also probably a result of the economy looking strong. If you think that the economy will remain strong forever, then buying now is probably a good deal regardless of the price because the price will just keeping rising as demand outstrips supply. If, on the other hand, you appreciate the likelihood of a coming dramatic correction, you might want to keep saving your cash and wait until the economy goes through that correction during which time you will be able to find a unit at a very good price from a motivated seller.

Another suggestion is to start looking at auctions. Auctions are sometimes closed to the public but usually the only requirement is cash buyers only, and non-dealers have to pay sales tax, those two restrictions effectively weed out the public, but it sounds like in your situation neither of those will necessarily be a problem. There are definitely good units available for auction, just make sure you know what you are looking for when inspecting the unit. This forum is a good place to start.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
my 2 cents... being a vintage coach owner with tons and tons of experience with my own purchase of a 1991 Beaver Marquis in 2009... I would rather pay $50k for a $20k coach that has been highly maintained than pay $20k for a $50k coach that has not been highly maintained! Cheers!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #11

Book values are for bankers and load companies and a general reference nothing more. Should you walk into a place that loans money you can be sure they will reach for one and that is the number that will be used. Brother was a banker for many years and this was the way they cut to the chase.

Condition is everything as noted by others and you are the one to determine the value.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

But when your RV is in a accident and is totaled the insurance company will use NADA as the pay out amount so don't pay way above what NADA says but its hard to find a good clean used RV that's at NADA price.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #13

In July 2017, we bought our Scenic Cruiser from the 2nd owner (since 2003) well below what NADA had (the owner actually had it listed below the NADA by 2-3K. He had done many upgrades but there were a few things maintenance wise. After viewing, road test etc, we offered much less and came up a little for final sale. We put in about $5K in maintenance including a brand new 26gal Propane Tank (I thought the original could be fixed) and new shocks all around, both I did not anticipate in our original offer.

In the end, it was the right Coach for us, the right Seller and the right selling circumstance (they just purchased their retirement beach home in a small community here on the Washington Coast and near their retirement).

The insurance company values it about $1K above what we have into it now and we added $3K coverage for custom equipment. I think we are in a good spot value wise.

We looked at coaches for over 3-4 years (also looked around 2004 for a few months), probably went to see 100 or so in person. I still remember some of the 'junk' we looked at and wondering why they were priced where they were. Of course, pricing changes depending on time of year.

We took our time, many owners price their Coach higher than what the value is IMO.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
But when your RV is in a accident and is totaled the insurance company will use NADA as the pay out amount so don't pay way above what NADA says but its hard to find a good clean used RV that's at NADA price.

I purchased a "stated value" policy on mine for this reason. If I could find another unit in similar condition mine for NADA value, then I would buy it just to have it for parts. NADA pricing is way off and is to be ignored when it comes to older motorhomes, in my experience. The way I determined what was a fair price when I bought mine was to check every one for sale (online) that I could find. After a lot of research, I was able to determine the market and see what was reasonable based on condition, year etc.

The unit I have fits into the description you posted about what you are looking for. I have a 1997 American eagle with no slides and it shows average retail at 15K. If you can find one in running, usable condition at that price, then let me know....
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote