Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
At the risk of being off-topic, a number of years ago we looked at new and fairly new Class A diesel pusher motorhomes and found very few used units that were priced realistically. In our experience, we attributed this to the following two factors:

2. The owners were upside down on their financing and were trying to sell the used motorhomes for what they owed on them - this relates to 1. above, of course.

We just bought a Monaco Dynasty (2000) from a private party that was in financial straits. While his ad said that the price was negotiable, when I talked to him he was only talking about a thousand dollars. That was the difference between his asking price and the amount he owed the bank. He did indicate that the bank was allowing him to pay interest only. I asked him to talk to his bank to see if there was any flexibility there. The bank agreed to give me a clear title for $6,000 less than he owed if he would take back a personal loan for the difference. He got out of a loan that he couldn't afford and I got a good deal on a coach.

Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by docj View Post
If you read the fine print in the NADA RV listings it says something to the effect that "RVs in excellent condition can sell for much more than the average listing price." There are plenty of older high end coaches around that have been well cared for and remodeled and which sell for lots of $$.
Thanks! I went back to NADA and scrolled down to the end of the "fine print" to find the quote. That is good to know in the event that you have one of those "well-cared for or remodeled" high-end motorhomes listed for sale.

John & Sharon Cockrill
1991 Country Coach, Sedona, Cat 3208T on Gillig
lockrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Master of Disaster

My feeling is that for 20+ year old motorhomes the averages assume a pretty horrible condition. And let's face it, most motorhomes that old are in pretty sad shape.

So when you sell a 1991 Class A like I did last year, in great shape, with appliances, a/c, etc, that had been replaced in the last 3-6 years, tires only a couple years old, etc., the lowest offer I got (and it was a thousand less than what I sold it for) was twice NADA.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Glad I stumbled on to this thread. A hoot to run my Gulfstream through the numbers.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Now take a look at NADA values for 20-year-old Bluebird Wanderlodges and compare those numbers to what they actually sell for. Same thing for Foretravels. I suspect that the same is true for any coach that doesn't have a huge market base. Compare the new price for a Winnebago and a similar-size Foretravel - big difference! Now look at 10-year-old versions of those two, and the prices are much closer. What does NADA say? Go out 20 years and it gets even worse.

Sadly, low volume coaches don't fare well with NADA. You are going to have to rely on some other pricing guide. You can always try offering half the asking price, and see what happens. Just know your own limit BEFORE you open your mouth.
David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
When we were looking to purchase our MH there was a fellow advertising a 20 yr old Bluebird Wanderlodge which he had very extensively remodeled. He was asking $100k which was way above NADA. Although we weren't interested in his coach I was curious to see what happened to it--he eventually got his price.

The key thing to note was that he had the resources to be able to wait until he found a buyer who was willing to pay his price; all to many people end up "dumping" older MH's at far lower prices because they can't afford to wait.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that when you get to the point of being 15-20 or more years old, a motor home kind of hits a bottom price of about $8000 - $12000 dollars for most MH if they are in shape to go camping right-a-way, meaning nothing more needed than maybe a good wash and cleaning. The exception would be some of the higher end coaches, Blue Birds, Foretravel types, etc. I am speaking of Class A; Class C might have littler lower bottom.

doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote