Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #57

American Coach Owners Club
Just Start and run the Genny ! Let it run the whole trip down to wherever your going! I run mine the whole time I'm heading south in the winter to Florida. Don't worry about Amp Hour calculations, Bla Bla Bla-- Just go on your adventure and have Fun !
If your'e worried about fuel cost, well you need more advise than I can Provide !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
That's what I do, "Sweat the Details", I can't help it, might be age.

They're forecasting 8 degrees for our departure time tomorrow. I'm now worried about the generator starting. I'm all plugged in at home but I don't think the block heater heats the generator. It's 7 degrees now, I could go out and see if it starts. If it would help I could aim a kerosene bullet heater at it but it's windy so I don't know how well that would work.

Robby
I don't know how far you travel each day, but if you are leaving Des Moines Area, Columbia, MO has a campground open all year and it isn't a bad facility, it is just north of I-70; St Louis RV Park is Open all year, there are many also open along your route, with a little planning it won't be a problem.

If you generator doesn't start just plan ahead a little and you will be fine. I travel in more cold weather than warm and would be surprised if generator doesn't start.

I typically stay in WalMarts as I travel as I am still on a schedule, so I drive until late at night and leave very early and this way I am not disturbing people. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #59
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
For a few minutes, I was thinking I am the only person here that has run his genset for 4 days non stop. I have a genturi for the "close quarters" operations when needed.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #60

I either run the genny all night with furnace on or both genny and furnace off and bundle up. 15 degrees I would run the genny. You asked how long the engine would take to recharge your batteries. I dont know but I do know that you will be overworking your alternator.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #61

Run the Genny,8 hrs should only run $12 or so.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #62

Run your generator and when parked at night, hook up your Genturri (sp). You will be warm and safe. Total cost probably less than 18 dollars. Have fun!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #63

Given the temps I'm thinking the smartest thing to do would be to start the generator before leaving home and use an electric heater or two to help keep the unit tolerable while on the road. It can't cost much more than propane while solving the power problem.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Just Start and run the Genny ! Let it run the whole trip down to wherever your going! I run mine the whole time I'm heading south in the winter to Florida. Don't worry about Amp Hour calculations, Bla Bla Bla-- Just go on your adventure and have Fun !
If your'e worried about fuel cost, well you need more advise than I can Provide !
Well said and funny too! lol

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:35 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I don't know how far you travel each day, but if you are leaving Des Moines Area, Columbia, MO has a campground open all year and it isn't a bad facility, it is just north of I-70; St Louis RV Park is Open all year, there are many also open along your route, with a little planning it won't be a problem.

If you generator doesn't start just plan ahead a little and you will be fine. I travel in more cold weather than warm and would be surprised if generator doesn't start.

I typically stay in WalMarts as I travel as I am still on a schedule, so I drive until late at night and leave very early and this way I am not disturbing people. Good luck!

I'll look into that Columbia, MO campground. I call a campground in Kearney, MO yesterday that's open year round. He said there was snow and they had a good size hill that could be a problem.

Robby
Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #66

Robby.
Seriously, I will be heading to Florida in a few weeks, the day before I fire up the Genny and Run my Roof Heaters while I load up along with my front Propane heater. I leave the Genny running the whole trip down- 2 days-- no big deal. Generators are much happier running than sitting. When I arrive in Sunny Florida I de-winterize and do the full system check front to rear.
Have a Safe Trip down !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:06 AM   #67

It's departure day. Started the furnace 5:00am and will turn on the block heater at 7:00 for a 10:00 departure. The current temperature is "0" inside the coach was 14 with no heat last night. I'm happy to report that I did start the generator yesterday when it was 5 degrees, I let it run for an hour.

Our route will be KC area the first night, second night Bella Vista for dinner with relatives and then it's off to Destin, FL by way of Memphis, Birmingham and Montgomery, AL. We'll be in Destin for 4 nights then on to Sarasota, Orlando, Disney World, and back home. Be gone 7 weeks.

I'd personally like to thank every one that has contributed to this thread, your comments and advice have been very helpful. I was delighted with the encouraging post and looked hard at the advice from the more cautious ones. My wife and I are very excited to try out this new kind of traveling vacation.

Robby
Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Robby.
Seriously, I will be heading to Florida in a few weeks, the day before I fire up the Genny and Run my Roof Heaters while I load up along with my front Propane heater. I leave the Genny running the whole trip down- 2 days-- no big deal. Generators are much happier running than sitting. When I arrive in Sunny Florida I de-winterize and do the full system check front to rear.
Have a Safe Trip down !
Thanks Chuck, have a great trip.

Robby
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #69
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It's departure day. Started the furnace 5:00am and will turn on the block heater at 7:00 for a 10:00 departure. The current temperature is "0" inside the coach was 14 with no heat last night. I'm happy to report that I did start the generator yesterday when it was 5 degrees, I let it run for an hour.

Our route will be KC area the first night, second night Bella Vista for dinner with relatives and then it's off to Destin, FL by way of Memphis, Birmingham and Montgomery, AL. We'll be in Destin for 4 nights then on to Sarasota, Orlando, Disney World, and back home. Be gone 7 weeks.

I'd personally like to thank every one that has contributed to this thread, your comments and advice have been very helpful. I was delighted with the encouraging post and looked hard at the advice from the more cautious ones. My wife and I are very excited to try out this new kind of traveling vacation.

Robby
Robby,
Enjoy the trip, do what is comfortable, it is your vacation. Use the machine you purchased, when you look back, you will be happy you did.

Nice trip plan by the way. 7 weeks in warmer weather sounds nice, we are going to see sub freezing this week in central Louisiana, so keep heading towards Florida.

Darin
Old 01-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'll look into that Columbia, MO campground. I call a campground in Kearney, MO yesterday that's open year round. He said there was snow and they had a good size hill that could be a problem.

Robby
If you are going to Belle Vista, AR, Columbia will be out of your way. I assume you are coming south on I-35 and continuing south on I-49. Check this place out, I have never stayed there but should provide you the power etc and it is right along the highway.

Peculiar Park Place RV Park in Peculiar, Missouri - The best Kansas City camping!
Good luck.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, boondocking