Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to jacko1
Boondocking

I did not had a great deal of luck when I would boon dock with my 2011 Diplomat. At sites where the generator Nazis would strictly enforce a 9-11 am and a 5-8pm generator run time it was just enough to power the refer overnight. we found ourselves using battery lanterns, no tv, and although we liked boon docking having a pretty nice coach but living the tent style life, we felt a little short changed. Friends we camp with a lot love the quieter less expensive places and while we don't have a problem with living the "tent/camper" style because we really like our boon docking camping buddies. We take delivery of a new Cornerstone in two weeks which is an all electric coach and the wife just asked me if this year not only would our light be provided by a coleman but would our food also? anyone out there with Cornerstone boon docking experience and generator Nazi experience who can share. thanks Jacko
jacko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

The keys to boon docking are lots of batteries and conservation. Between the two you should be able to last several days at a time. If you want to do more, consider adding solar panels to the mix. With my 4 golf cart batteries, 250 watts of solar panels we can go for several days at a time without the use of a generator. Of course, we have gas appliances and use them. An all electric RV is going to have serious issues lasting more than a night at a time. Heck just trying to heat water is going to eat up a lot of battery power per day. Maybe you should considering giving up the boon docking in exchange for resorts with full hookups.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
It's all about friends and the journey . Wasn't' complaining just asking if anyone had experience. BTW we do stay at resorts also.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

YOU WILL have more than enough power with the cornerstone. for whatever you want to do.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

Unfortunately, total electric rig + limited generator hours = making allowances in lifestyle. Cooking food inside and heating water will have to be done on a limited schedule. But, there are worse things!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

I thought the Cornerstone came with 8 batteries, and the all electric version with more so you could run everything...???

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks all, The cornerstone does have 8 glass mat batteries and although electric stove range if it's greasy it is always cooked on the Colman outside. I could never figure out why the dip would maybe do 5 hours on batteries. I load tested them and they were OK, tested with hygrometer and they were OK.
I did put the 200 watt solar on the new one.
Thanks Johnny I can now tell the wife everything is acumnamatata (Lion King)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
The Cornerstone has 8 batteries, same as my Anthem. When I boondock, we use two TV's and two DirecTV DVR's at night, and plenty of other electrical items. We can keep our batteries charged running generator for two hours in the morning and 2-3 hours at night. Your Cornerstone will have basically the same electrical setup, so this is what you should expect.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe your tent friends can compromise. One time at a tenting place you have to boondock the next a full hookup campground. or better yet get a place with a mixture of both. There are several state campgrounds in Arkansas that have very good tent sites. One of these has a peninsula that goes out into the lake. It has tent camping sites with water on both sides. The rest of the park has 50 amp full hookup sites. Actually in most if not all Arkansas State Parks all of the RV hookups have a large space for tents on the same site. You can both stay in the full hookup sites and only have to pay for one site. Win- win.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Jacko we owned a Dip for seven years and did some boondocking. The key is to keep the batteries fully charged. When you fix breakfast run the generator as long as the coffee pot is on. Turn off the water heater when not in use the water in the tank will remain hot for some time. Late in the day run the generator for an hour or so and then you can watch tv. Turn all electrical item off during the day, TV VCR and if you run the microwave it eats the batteries. This should help even with the newer coach but remember now you have to recharge even more batteries. Good luck and enjoy your new coach
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks again all.
Glad to hear your Anthem can get enough I charge in shorter time periods. We know State parks etc do have hook up's and have used them. We realize boon docking has a different experience skill set to the "full hook up" type RVing maybe, just maybe, my Dip had a power drain that I was unaware of. Our friends actually have a 5th wheel are pretty much full timers (home only for a couple of three months a year) and are a lot of fun. When they say we will meet you at "X" we never really know what amenities will be at the camp site, they are sensitive to our challenge and if the campground was a boon dock would generally only book it for a night or two.
Last year we had planned on going up the Eastern Canada coast but had been told to expect sites with limited power or no power and as we like to go a find places along the way decided not to. If the new coach can do that, whoooowhooo, we wil have a good summer "A"
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
The question arises: If you are going to do boondocking why are you going with all electric appliances? Propane is a proven and safe technology for cooking and heating. We have a 36' coach with a propane/electric reffer, a gas stove top, and a microwave convection oven. We only have 2 house batteries and can go for about 11-14 days between dump and fill and only run the generator a couple of hours a day. Perhaps if you are planning to boondock you should design your coach to do it if you are buying it new. Also if the generator police are after you go find a nice spot in the desert pull off and run your generator all day long if you like.
You can also run your generator while you're running down the road.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

The places I go would, maybe, understand your problem. But then, knowing you have an all electric rig, I wouldn't be with you.

The use of the term "generator Nazis" for those of us that prefer the quiet, and are equipped for the same, are not appreciative, you noise making Commie. Said with a smile!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #14

For us 'boon docking' mean that we are away from a lot of things/people. Which translates to, we can run the generator went we want/need to and few, if anyone will say anything about it. We spend time in old gravel pits, un used work camp pads (usually many acres) and along creeks/lakes.
While we and those that boon dock with us, also like quite time, we also understand that running the generator is part of having MH's.
Like it has already been said, 'different strokes for different folks'! The main thing is to enjoy the MH and the time with family/friends!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking