Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Boost level

I have an 2000 Winnebago chieftain with a 5.9 Cummings motor in it.It has a banks power kit installed.Does any one no what the boost level should be.I am only seeing about 10 Lbs of boost in first and second gear.I have seen as high as 28 in 5 gear.Is this normal?

Thanks Dennis
Protsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

I can tell you that with 28# of boost on that model of 5.9 you’re playing with fire in terms of exhaust temperatures. Does it have an EGT gauge?

If you’re not knowledgeable about diesel performance modifications it would be best to have a reliable Cummins mechanic check it out.

Depending on what model of transmission you have, it may limit torque in the lower gears to prevent damage.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You have the same vintage 5.9 ISB as ours, which limits the top end boost to around 24 psi in a stock configuration. There are after-market methods to modify the top end (Banks, etc.), but over-boosting for an extended period of time can increase the risk of damage to a stock turbo.

In addition to Cummins, I would suggest you have a conversation with Banks tech support. They no longer offer a performance kit for the 1998.5-2002 ISB, but they should be able to tell you what boost settings are expected and what components (including the turbo) have been upgraded in your kit to allow higher boost and EGT.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 1998.5 version of this MH, with Banks, and I see boost generally maxing around 22 psi without regard to the current gear, although, I don't usually watch boost during accelleration. Does your unit move crisply through the lower gears, or does it seem to drag along to get through 1, 2, & 3? If crisply, I'd not be too worried. If not, then a deeper investigation might be warranted.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
I have the 1998.5 version of this MH, with Banks, and I see boost generally maxing around 22 psi without regard to the current gear, although, I don't usually watch boost during accelleration. Does your unit move crisply through the lower gears, or does it seem to drag along to get through 1, 2, & 3? If crisply, I'd not be too worried. If not, then a deeper investigation might be warranted.
It does seem to Accelerate a little slow in the lower gears but does seem to shift fine .That is why I asked if the boost is normally that low in the lower gears.It does have banks boost gauge and EGT gauge on the RV.It seems to be fine on the power in the higher gears.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protsrace View Post
It does seem to Accelerate a little slow in the lower gears but does seem to shift fine ...
Your max boost eliminates induction leaks and a turbo issue, so, perhaps fuel flow. Which leads to an item I meant to include before. Your model year also featured the VP44 injection pump (1998.5-2002) which is HIGHLY dependent on a properly functioning lift pump for internal lubrication. If the lift pump starts to fade, the VP44 eventually starts to self-destruct. Thus, I added a fuel pressure gauge with sensor after the lift pump. While Cummins is more concerned with flow rate, falling pressure will be indicative. Strangely, fuel pressure/flow was not a standard piece of equipment, so, if one had not previously been added, please consider doing so.

Go ahead, ask me how I know that this VP44/Lift Pump issue is real!!!$$$$!!!
Old 12-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, as gvjackson stated, everyone "in the know" with the 24V ISB HIGHLY recommends replacing the OEM Carter lift pump with a high quality aftermarket unit to protect the very expensive VP44 injection pump from self-destructing. A fuel pressure gauge or warning light is also a must. Poke around on Geno's Garage and Blue Chip Diesel for some great info on the 24V ISB and the infamous VP44.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

The VP44 was just replaced in March of this year.Also a good aftermarket lift pump was installed.I planned installing the fuel pressure this spring before I take it out again?Is it possible the injectors are causing the low boost?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

I have a VP 44 from Blue Chip and what a difference.....I stayed with the Carter lift pump as it puts out 11 lbs, and 9 when towing on flat highways and 7 on hard pulls,,,,,Added fuel pressure gauge and RV 275 hp injectors from Geno's, and with a 4" exhaust with muffler, am getting 24 plus empty at 70 and 16 when towing at 65......max boost is 20.....make sure the 2 moulded rubber elbows on the intake side haven't started to slip out from under their clamps.......lost of boost if that happens....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did not know about aftermarket lift pump alternatives until after my OE replacement. Then I danced around the pressure gauge install for almost 2 years before adding a GlowShift unit. Idling, my Carter is ~16psi, 11-12 psi cruising ~65 on smooth level road, and ~8 psi tugging our toad up the long 5-7% hill on I-77N near Fancy Gap. So I'll use that as my standard. I think I read, on the internet [emoji2957], that it takes at least 2-3 psi to ensure some VP-44 lubrication via the return fuel flow(?).

Regarding the question of injectors, I wouldn't think that injectors would directly affect boost level, and your(OP) high boost at speed would seem to align with this.

Unfortunately my snowbird trip departure is on hold, so I can't make any near term boost vs gear range observations, but I'm not going to risk the salt exposure for a joy ride, unless we get a mid-winter deluge to wash the roads.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The transmission gear doesn't effect the boost directly, but the engine rpms and throttle position do. If you push for maximum power in any gear, you should get maximum boost, which is usually 24 psi for that engine. Somebody may have cranked up the boost a bit with the idea that they get hotter performance, but that's a bit risky cause it really does get hotter (EGT).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The transmission gear doesn't effect the boost directly, but the engine rpms and throttle position do. If you push for maximum power in any gear, you should get maximum boost, which is usually 24 psi for that engine. Somebody may have cranked up the boost a bit with the idea that they get hotter performance, but that's a bit risky cause it really does get hotter (EGT).
It does have a banks Kit on it.but with the pedal all the way down in first and second gear it only get around 10 all the way to it shifts.as soon as it hits 3 or fourth gear the boost is mostly around 25 but I did see it go to 28 once .But I didn’t stay in it long .
Old 12-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #13

Power brake it and see how high the boost climbs.

If it gets higher then 10, its probably just shifting before its fully loaded.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Due to the rating of some Allisons the power output can be restricted in first and second gears to keep from over stressing the trans. Call Banks and ask them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote