Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Boost Switch

Which batteries are primary and which are secondary when the boost switch is used? Do the house assist the chassis or the other way around? I assumed the house would assist the chassis starter circuit so you could start the vehicle under most any circumstance. But it may depend on the make and model. Anyone know how this works?

John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was under the impression that they assist each other. The switch connects them together.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi zzjea,
Both Cliff and you are correct. The switch connects the house and chassis batteries. One usually uses the switch to assist in getting the coach engine to start. While the switch could be used to help the house batteries, the switch is a momentary switch. The circuit is not made to stay engaged for long periods of time.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have always assumed that the main purpose of the boost switch is to use the house batteries to get the engine started, but as others have said, it just connects both sets of batteries together so it would work either way!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Had to use mine for the first time last weekend. Found out the front battery was a lot weak. Left the lights on for approx 5 minutes while in the store, with the trailer hooked up as well. When I tried to start all I got was clicking. Pushed the switch and it started right up. Got a new chassis battery Monday.

I'm sure they feed each other.
2007 Fleetwood Flair 33R, F53 V10.
Trails West 3 horse trailer with dressing/tack room
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the switch puts them in parallel so they have to work together but my understanding is that they are there to enable you to start the engine when the chassis battery is low for whatever reason. If you have low chassis battery and you use the coach batteries to start the motor home you can drive it to get new batteries. If you have dead coach batteries and tie the chassis battery in and keep your lights going while boondocking then you dont have any way to get new batteries or charged or basically anything. Even if you have a generator you have now way to start it. So my vote is that the primary use of the switch is to let you start the engine if the chassis battery is down.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Actually, you are all correct. However, and this may be different by model. The relay that connects the battery systems together has to have power to close. It is basically an electromagnet. Usually, the relay power comes from the coach batteries. (I said usually) so if the coach batteries are dead or disconnected it will not work. So, that would imply that the manufacturer expected it to help start with a low chassis battery mostly. But with a good chassis battery and some power in the coach batteries (doesn't take much) it could help start the Genset to charge everything.
It is a cool system.
Just my 2C.
2016 Wildwood 28RLDS
2014 Tundra 1794 Platnum,"23" T-Bucket
2011 Harley Softail, 2010 Spyder RTS
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
tompen is correct, it could depend on which system the trigger solenoid is wired to. Of course electricity will flow either way, but without power to the solenoid it won't connect.
I was talking to someone who's system had a rocker switch that was double throw center off, could connect House to Chassis and vice versa to boost which ever side was weak. I don't see why a lead couldn't be fed from both systems to the trigger, with appropriate diodes to keep them isolated. I've used the boost switch to help get the generator started when house batteries were too weak, never had to use it to start the main engine ---- yet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
I put a separate switch on mine (left the one on the dash) powered by the chassis battery. I did it while putting a switch in line so I can turn off the BIRD. I don't want it (BIRD) to work while in storage. I don't charge deep cycle and conventional batteries with the same charger while stored for a few months. A plus was the little blue light on the switch that now comes on and tells me when the relay has combined the batteries.
But then I can't ever leave well enough alone.
2016 Wildwood 28RLDS
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
On all of the coaches that I have owned, the aux start solonoid is the same one that is used to tie the battery banks together when driving. The solonoid is closed whenever the ignition switch is in the run position (but not the start position).

The aux switch uses coach (house) battery power to close the solonoid. That way, coach battery power will remain available when cranking the engine.

I realize that some coaches are not wired this way, but most (at least class A's) are.
2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
With a BIRD system, The ignition is involved, but it is charging voltage from either side reaching a certain voltage for a certain amount of time that closes the relay. It is the same relay. If you want to combine the batteries for starting you would have to push the button.

2016 Wildwood 28RLDS