Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
That is what I was going to say about the safety standards. Since the only RV's manufactured in Canada are Triple E, you are going to be getting a US manufactured coach. They generally have to do more stuff to them to make them legal in Canada, not less. You will need to check out the tax situation however. For example here in BC, you pay both provincial sales tax and Gst on any motor vehicle used or otherwise. You should be able to reclaim the GST but the PST, I'm not so sure of. That is 7% in BC. You also may have other fees to consider (personal exemption limits). It is really an interesting about face. For years, Canadians have been traveling to the US to purchase RV's and import them back. Now with the exchange at a 10 year low and possibly dropping even further, it may well be a good time to purchase north of the 48th and bring back to the US. although I will say that generally, your selection choices are likely to be much smaller overall and it is likely that the selling prices may be higher albeit that they are in Canadian $

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #16

The deal-breaker occurs with those of us that don't have passports. Dept of State says 4-6 weeks under normal circumstances. Since I was born out of the country, I'd plan on 6. That's too long a time frame for a seller to hold a coach, or for me to wait.

Good information on the subject so far. I learned that I can't buy a Canadian-owned coach south of the border and just pay the seller and go. Having to get a passport and deal with borders and duties makes things too difficult for somebody that's already 2000+ miles away.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The deal-breaker occurs with those of us that don't have passports. Dept of State says 4-6 weeks under normal circumstances. Since I was born out of the country, I'd plan on 6. That's too long a time frame for a seller to hold a coach, or for me to wait.

Good information on the subject so far. I learned that I can't buy a Canadian-owned coach south of the border and just pay the seller and go. Having to get a passport and deal with borders and duties makes things too difficult for somebody that's already 2000+ miles away.
As discussed, the biggest issue is the passport (and possibly the travel distance if time is limited). I believe the sellor could even meet you at the border crossing (I'd have to confirm that though)
The Importation stuff at the border isn't as difficult as one would think! Once you've done one, it's easy. No need to be scared! It just sounds imposing.

For a small fee (I pay $195 CAD) Customs Brokers do all the paperwork and have it sitting at the border crossing waiting for you. They calculate all your costs as well, aside from the purchase. My Customs Broker even pays my fees up front and I pay them once I'm back. The whole process at the border from arrival to departure takes about 1/2 hour.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #18

As long as the coach was originally manufactured in the US, you should be able to " reimport" it back to the US. There should not be any duty or customs fees payable. Depending on the age, you may need a letter from the Manufacturer certifying it meets applicable US standards, and that there are no outstanding recalls. You must get an Import Record Form from US Customs ( required when you go to register vehicle in your home state ). Customs will ask for a copy of the Title, and Bill of Sale. You may need to provide backup of the declared value. Check with your local DMV concerning what they require to licence the vehicle & collect taxes of course.
It can be done / not too much paperwork involved.
As far as Passport goes, when travelling by land, you need a gov't approved ID card ( Not just a Drivers Licence ) to enter Canada, and to re-enter the US. These are cheaper and faster than the full passport route.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
As long as the coach was originally manufactured in the US, you should be able to " reimport" it back to the US. There should not be any duty or customs fees payable. Depending on the age, you may need a letter from the Manufacturer certifying it meets applicable US standards, and that there are no outstanding recalls. You must get an Import Record Form from US Customs ( required when you go to register vehicle in your home state ). Customs will ask for a copy of the Title, and Bill of Sale. You may need to provide backup of the declared value. Check with your local DMV concerning what they require to licence the vehicle & collect taxes of course.
It can be done / not too much paperwork involved.
As far as Passport goes, when travelling by land, you need a gov't approved ID card ( Not just a Drivers Licence ) to enter Canada, and to re-enter the US. These are cheaper and faster than the full passport route.
If you are a US Citizen in Canada without a passport, can you return to the US with a birth cerificate?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #20

My birth certificate says Peru, so that might be more trouble than help.

Dad was an airline pilot stationed in Lima at the time.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Theory has it you could do the deal at Customs.. but be sure to bring lots of lettuce for the customs guy cause there are going to be taxes and such that need to be paid, and of course you need to get it home (In Michigan you have, as I recall, 3 days and you must take the most direct route to either your house or Secretary of State office) and then there are more taxes to be paid (State this time) when you register.

Since if you meet at customs, in the presence of an inspector, one of you never leaves his country and the other never offically enters the country not his.. No passports (though it's still a good idea to have one).

But frankly.. I would not try to do it that way..

And whatever you do check with customs first... Make sure you get approval and make sure you properly declare.. Customs inspectors have more authority than any other law enforcement officer in existance.

You know those famous constituional rights (You have the right to remain silent. and so on)

DO NOT APPLY AT CUSTOMS.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #22

Too bad. Seller seems like a great guy and his coach is beautiful. Just more than I want to bite off at this time.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'm not sure you do 'need' a passport to get into Canada, but you may need one to get back into the US !
Totally correct - the US won't let you back in without a passport.
Or let us in without one either (some exceptions such as enhanced driver's license and frequent travel programs)

Chris
Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
About $77,000 USD. + 2.5 %
And that was a few days ago. Now it would even be a few thousand less. "Experts" are predicting a .65 CAD vs USD.

I was thinking of selling my MH (on hold for a couple of months) and when I did some price checking in Canada I was shocked at how much our MH prices had gone up (based on the cost of bringing a similar MH in from the US).
If I wanted $75K CAD for my MH, that would now be roughly less than $60K USD, below NADA low retail.

If it drops to .65 vs USD my $75k would be worth 48K USD (but obviously I would be asking more in CAD around $80K CAD- makes sense?) I would keep my price roughly in line with NADA.

Hey I guess we're in the only market where MHs are appreciating in value - as long as I'm not buying a replacement.