Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Borg Dually Valve Stem Installation

I am currently located in Homestead, Fla., just south of Miami. I recently ordered a set of 9 inch Borg Dually steel valve stems and rubber stabilizers. I was told by Kelly at Borg when I ordered my valve stems that most truck tire shops can install these and that they probably would need to bend the valve stems to get them centered into the outer 2 inch hole. I have been to 4 different local truck tire shops and none have agreed to install them for me and one told me that he would be very hesitant to bend the valves for fear of damage. Can someone who has used and installed these same dually valve stems give me some insight as to what you have experienced using these and can they be successfully bent and do they work? Also, does anyone know of a good truck tire shop in Southern Florida that I can go to get these installed properly?
Thanks for any advice and help,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Can't help w/ a shop in FL. My one piece valve stems were bent slightly upon installation for my inner duallys. Here is a link to the site: Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Borg Dually Valve Stem Installation

I had mine installed at Big-O tires in CA. They were hesitant to bend the valve until they called the company who reassured them they were intended to be slightly bendable during installation. They completed the install and they worked great.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 AM   #4

I had my tires and valve stems installed by a guy who does roadside service for trucks. I did the actual bending of the valve stems, which was actually just a minor amount to fine tune the centering.

I bought my Centramatics from the Florida Shores Truck Center in Edgewater, FL. You might contact them and talk to them about the valve stem installation. They were very helpful to me over the phone. I know it’s a distance from you, but if they will work with you it might be worth the trip.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #5

Borg bDually Valve Stems Installation

Hi Vettenuts,
Can you describe a little more how you bent yours as to what tool you used and where on the valve stem did you make the bend? I have tried a few local tire shops and they are afraid to bend the stems.
Thanks,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #6

I bent them by hand. They are brass so I would be afraid to use tools. The amount of bending required was to move the end about 1/8 inch or less. Once you install the inner valve stem and set the two rims together, you can rotate the inner long stem to do the majority of the centering. Any bending is to fine tune the location.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #7

I used a brake line bending tool, mine only need tweeked slightly to center.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #8

I ordered the ones to fit mine, had them installed when got new tires. Makes it so much easier to check pressures. Don't remember them having to bend them.

Tags
install, valve